Author Topic: maldives and dubai  (Read 28497 times)

Offline daganster

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Re: maldives and dubai
« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2012, 01:51:10 PM »
Waldorf is part of the hilton chain and I heard from someone else that he had kosher food as a option at the hilton. my resort got a weekly shipping from australia anyway, so it was easy to arrange...They ship via air in a frozen container. If I had to do my own shipping it would have been much to expensive and clearing customs would have been very hard. Like this my food was just part of the regular delivery. speak to the food and beverage manager of your resort.
the catering that i ordered the food from was kleins in mebourne http://kleinsgourmetfoods.com.au/
The shipping agent of the hotel was also very nice and offered to personally pick up groceries for me from the kosher store, she went out of her way for me, so it really depends who your hotel deals with
How much in advance did you order the Kosher food?

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2012, 02:23:14 PM »
I arranged everything 8 weeks in advance, but made sure the hotel got it only 10 days before. So its not to old and if it wouldnt arrive i would have had time to shlep my own

Offline daganster

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2012, 06:53:41 PM »
I arranged everything 8 weeks in advance, but made sure the hotel got it only 10 days before. So its not to old and if it wouldnt arrive i would have had time to shlep my own
Wow! I'm leaving in 2 days...... I hope W+A has kosher food. Any tips? Please let me know anything that's useful I have no time to do any research.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2012, 06:54:47 PM »
Just bring your own food.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2012, 07:00:49 PM »
Just bring your own food.

+1. I did it and "survived".

Other idea is to ask them if they have a new grill for you that you can use.

Obviously they can take away the meat if they find it at customs

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2012, 07:03:47 PM »
Obviously they can take away the meat if they find it at customs
Source?

Nothing of the sort written here:
http://www.customs.gov.mv/en/?p=1111
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline damaxer91

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2012, 07:07:43 PM »
Source?

Nothing of the sort written here:
http://www.customs.gov.mv/en/?p=1111

Our hotel warned us that it could happen, though it was not listed on the customs form

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 08, 2012, 07:09:05 PM »
Our hotel warned us that it could happen, though it was not listed on the customs form
Have you ever read/heard of it actually happening though?
Since they x-ray everything you'd think we'd hear of meat confiscations if they were happening.

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 08, 2012, 07:11:13 PM »
IIRC, pork is the issue. So perhaps have it labeled.

Offline damaxer91

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 08, 2012, 07:11:31 PM »
Have you ever read/heard of it actually happening though?
Since they x-ray everything you'd think we'd hear of meat confiscations if they were happening.

They told me that I should make sure that everything is marked clearly because they tend to think that things like cold cuts can be pork.

But I have not heard of anyone getting meat confiscated. Only grape juice :)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #90 on: July 08, 2012, 07:11:44 PM »
They happen. Oftentimes they'll just confiscate meat because they can't (or dont want to) tell it's NOT pork.

EDIT: Yeah, like said above.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline daganster

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 08, 2012, 07:16:20 PM »
Any suggestions as far as food i.e. what would you guys take? I guess their outlets are 220, so if I bring a sandwich make  or a George Foreman Grill I would need an adapter. Anyone with experience?

Offline brytch

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 08, 2012, 07:17:35 PM »
Wow! I'm leaving in 2 days...... I hope W+A has kosher food. Any tips? Please let me know anything that's useful I have no time to do any research.

Are you taking seaplane both ways or one?

A little trip which worked for me, pay seaplane going there and boat+domestic transfer for way back. And then if they have a few empty seats on the seaplane that day they'll upgrade you for free (so that they earn at least some of the money...)

When you arrive and go to the seaplane lounge, they'll be free drinks.. fill your tefilin bag with as many cokes as you can.. once you arrive at the resort they'll be costing $6- or so a piece..

Take their complimentary snorkeling trip, and if you love snorkeling consider taking the paying one as well. Both trips can be cancelled on their scheduled day due to rain. be sure to sign up early as they both do fill up.

Give your villa host a nice tip on arrival and ask him to replenish your fruit basket daily and tell him which fruit you like worked like a charm.

If you get desperate for food, ask them to serve you 3-4 left over meals they have frozen for us. They'll be $40 a pop but better than nothing.. I'll try and write a quick trip report now in the other maldives thread... ENJOY!!

KEEP IN MIND: the weather can be cloudy this time of year, just take it easy and you'll have a good time!

I HAD no problems with customs, brought in lots of cold cuts... could be they thought I was muslim because of beard (many ppl told me salaam aleikum)

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #93 on: July 08, 2012, 07:18:24 PM »
Any suggestions as far as food i.e. what would you guys take? I guess their outlets are 220, so if I bring a sandwich make  or a George Foreman Grill I would need an adapter. Anyone with experience?

Most hotels have adapters, but I'd bring anyway. Bring a universal one so you don't have problems in lounges either.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline damaxer91

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 08, 2012, 07:19:27 PM »
When you arrive and go to the seaplane lounge, they'll be free drinks.. fill your tefilin bag with as many cokes as you can.. once you arrive at the resort they'll be costing $6- or so a piece..

Guilty of that as well :)

Also we brought Starbucks Frappuchino's

Offline daganster

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 08, 2012, 07:21:38 PM »

A little trip which worked for me, pay seaplane going there and boat+domestic transfer for way back. And then if they have a few empty seats on the seaplane that day they'll upgrade you for free (so that they earn at least some of the money...)

Take their complimentary snorkeling trip, and if you love snorkeling consider taking the paying one as well. Both trips can be cancelled on their scheduled day due to rain. be sure to sign up early as they both do fill up.

Give your villa host a nice tip on arrival and ask him to replenish your fruit basket daily and tell him which fruit you like worked like a charm.

If you get desperate for food, ask them to serve you 3-4 left over meals they have frozen for us. They'll be $40 a pop but better than nothing.. I'll try and write a quick trip report now in the other maldives thread... ENJOY!!

KEEP IN MIND: the weather can be cloudy this time of year, just take it easy and you'll have a good time!

I HAD no problems with customs, brought in lots of cold cuts... could be they thought I was muslim because of beard (many ppl told me salaam aleikum)

They have frozen food thats kosher?

Offline daganster

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 08, 2012, 07:22:05 PM »
Most hotels have adapters, but I'd bring anyway. Bring a universal one so you don't have problems in lounges either.
Where do I get one of those?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 08, 2012, 07:22:37 PM »
He probably means HIS meals leftover.

Any electronics store, Radioshack?

Offline daganster

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 08, 2012, 07:24:05 PM »

What's the price difference?

Offline brytch

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 08, 2012, 07:35:21 PM »
What's the price difference?

for two people you can save about $300 if..
Round trip Seaplane 785
round trip Domestic 477

prices include taxes....

I can't guarantee you'll be upgraded as the return might be full, but if you don't mind taking the domestic route, then save the money and hopefully you'll be upgraded..