Author Topic: Electric Bill Savings  (Read 17061 times)

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: Electric Bill Savings
« Reply #120 on: June 23, 2017, 02:36:04 PM »
Do you have any insights on residential gas in Brooklyn?

I believe I am with National Grid with that, but haven't looked at my bill for a while. Maybe now is a good time to lock in a long-term fixed rate (though unlike electricity, on natural gas I did have an opinion about prices for a while, but haven't been following that market in a while).
Also stay with Nat Grid. You probably ha an opinion on long term gas prices which do not really translate to the short term. Also, NYC city gate prices are affected by location specific items.

Electricity prices of late have been mostly dependent on NG anyhow.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 23, 2017, 02:40:38 PM »
Just like every ESCO out there, which is why I say that residential energy deregulation is government sanctioned fraud and abuse.
The NY PSC has made a lot of headway in that regard but, as is typical of regulators, really missed the boat in how to correct the problem. They seem to have purposely went overboard while Usher Fogel A"h was sick which led the courts to strike it down as overreach.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #122 on: June 23, 2017, 03:26:02 PM »
Now if there was only a way to save on the water and sewer bill...
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline alexk.

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 23, 2017, 03:31:25 PM »
Just an FYI on this topic - if you are signed up with an ESCO, there is a tool on Con Ed's website that compares Con Ed's rates to yours and lets you know if you are saving money...

Offline dovy2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 29, 2019, 11:13:42 AM »
got a +500 check from the ambit settlement case... good thing I took the time to file those 9 little postcards that came in the mail a year ago!

Offline JudahMcB

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 02, 2021, 03:36:57 PM »
Anyone have any experience with Arbor (https://joinarbor.com)? From their website:

"Arbor's TrueRate Protection is a free service that automates monthly savings on your electric bill by ensuring you are always paying the best rate. Your TrueRate reflects the actual, true price of electricity in your area, without markups, hidden fees, or surprise rate hikes. Activate TrueRate Protection and we'll track the TrueRate in your area and compare the best available rates to your current price. If the TrueRate goes below your current rate, we'll notify you and automatically enroll you in the lower rate."

I don't see a downside to this. Worst case, you don't approve switching to a different provider. As long as you check your monthly statements to make sure you aren't getting ripped off (Ambit Energy anyone?) is there any risk?

Offline dovy2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 02, 2021, 08:00:53 PM »
Can't make much sense.. most of the really low rate are only when locking in for x amount of months.. so you can't just hop around

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 03, 2021, 09:58:53 AM »
Anyone have any experience with Arbor (https://joinarbor.com)? From their website:

"Arbor's TrueRate Protection is a free service that automates monthly savings on your electric bill by ensuring you are always paying the best rate. Your TrueRate reflects the actual, true price of electricity in your area, without markups, hidden fees, or surprise rate hikes. Activate TrueRate Protection and we'll track the TrueRate in your area and compare the best available rates to your current price. If the TrueRate goes below your current rate, we'll notify you and automatically enroll you in the lower rate."

I don't see a downside to this. Worst case, you don't approve switching to a different provider. As long as you check your monthly statements to make sure you aren't getting ripped off (Ambit Energy anyone?) is there any risk?
Can't make much sense.. most of the really low rate are only when locking in for x amount of months.. so you can't just hop around
They're just a broker. While they claim to have your best interest in mind, and they will compare rates from many suppliers; which is way better than just getting a quote directly from a supplier, they still want to get you signed up with someone. They say they only do fixed rate which means you're locked into a 12 month contract, if your utility rate goes down you lose if the utility rate goes up you save. Just like with any supplier, savings are far from guaranteed.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 03, 2021, 10:11:33 AM »
They're just a broker. While they claim to have your best interest in mind, and they will compare rates from many suppliers; which is way better than just getting a quote directly from a supplier, they still want to get you signed up with someone. They say they only do fixed rate which means you're locked into a 12 month contract, if your utility rate goes down you lose if the utility rate goes up you save. Just like with any supplier, savings are far from guaranteed.
They can do shorter term contracts.

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 03, 2021, 10:14:59 AM »
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 03, 2021, 10:16:53 AM »