Author Topic: Opiod addictions  (Read 22119 times)

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Opiod addictions
« Reply #120 on: October 29, 2017, 09:13:26 PM »
Finally some backup...cant hold the fort alone  ;D
You don't need backup. Most of us agree with you more than you think.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 29, 2017, 09:23:27 PM »
Why the hate? Blue in my face from trying to defend something that works. With no real alternatives offered what am I to feel? Not one alternative provides a long term solution other than continued abstinence through a 12 step program.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 29, 2017, 09:24:15 PM »

+1
I think the 12 steps are good but I don't think you make a great case for it.
You don't need to convince me, but if you really deal with addicts they are a lot harder to convince than us.
Visibly Jewish

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 29, 2017, 09:28:18 PM »
Why the hate? Blue in my face from trying to defend something that works. With no real alternatives offered what am I to feel? Not one alternative provides a long term solution other than continued abstinence through a 12 step program.
No hate coming from me. I was unfortunately involved with drugs/alcohol in my younger years. I seen all aspects of this from those kicking it on their own to those losing their life to it.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 29, 2017, 09:59:01 PM »
+1
I think the 12 steps are good but I don't think you make a great case for it.
You don't need to convince me, but if you really deal with addicts they are a lot harder to convince than us.
I'll leave the case to be made to those who need to make the case. If you need to go to a meeting or know someone who needs a meeting...

And back to the beginning...if you've never been an addict or family of an addict you will never understand. Addicts usually realize right away that they belong when they see that there are other sick people like them. The struggle then begins.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 30, 2017, 02:38:00 PM »
At home ive been able to keep to my half bottle rule, not out of home. Basically I do 2 things, keep a journal when I get a hangover and dont take any pain killers, gives me a few hours of agony to question if it was worth it

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 30, 2017, 03:52:26 PM »
At home ive been able to keep to my half bottle rule, not out of home. Basically I do 2 things, keep a journal when I get a hangover and dont take any pain killers, gives me a few hours of agony to question if it was worth it
Scary.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 30, 2017, 04:05:19 PM »
How often do you have hangovers?

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 30, 2017, 04:28:13 PM »

Take this how you want but the fact that you keep posting about this is significant.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 30, 2017, 04:29:22 PM »
Take this how you want but the fact that you keep posting about this is significant.
Maybe someone will step in.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 30, 2017, 04:35:24 PM »
IME, no one can help someone who is not willing to face squarely the deadly nature of the disease. They need to express a desire to stop.

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 30, 2017, 05:05:54 PM »

If only...

Unfortunately, I don't think that a few hangovers is enough "research" to get clarity. Most people need higher stakes.

What I will say is that once you are playing games like "only-a-half-bottle-a-day-and-if-you-drink-more-than-that-you-have-to-journal-about-your-hangover-while-not-taking-aspirin" you are already well on the road to a real problem. The shame is that most won't see it that way until they look back in retrospect and until they do see it that way there's no effective help.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 30, 2017, 05:37:48 PM »
If only...

Unfortunately, I don't think that a few hangovers is enough "research" to get clarity. Most people need higher stakes.

What I will say is that once you are playing games like "only-a-half-bottle-a-day-and-if-you-drink-more-than-that-you-have-to-journal-about-your-hangover-while-not-taking-aspirin" you are already well on the road to a real problem. The shame is that most won't see it that way until they look back in retrospect and until they do see it that way there's no effective help.
Very well said. In other words "I have this under control and I can stop at any time I want." Usually takes a DUI to stop that. Sometimes more c'v.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 31, 2017, 09:36:50 AM »

the only way I was able to change was by making it public, and the fact that I made public my decision, I am not bothered when people say to me "are you supposed to be drinking that much"

I'm an impulsive drinker and overall in life I lack self discipline and control. Wine just happens to be my greatest passion and nemesis.

I loved pizza even though im lactose intolerant, being awake all night with bloating and gas forced me to change, same goes for coffee etc.

It's called the paradox of change, we only change if it hurts more for us not to change than the pain of change.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 31, 2017, 09:42:23 AM »
If only...

First off, I appreciate your concern and that of others here. As stated prior, my drinking is mostly impulsive, I love wine, it used to be i'd open a bottle and just finish it

Now I open a bottle, pour half in the decanter and the other half i recork and put in the fridge

Since I made this decision in march, ive never gone back to the fridge, although, just as I am tempted to eat more potato chips, i'm tempted to drink more wine.

Sure I have a problem, sure I like to get buzzed but I just as much recognize that I dont want to so I dont.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 31, 2017, 09:47:10 AM »
How often do you have hangovers?

Minor hangovers about once a month, really killers 1-2 timed a year.

Usually around my RCC - Rosh Chodesh Club, its a question of discipline and drinking water, I got one monday morning.

Basically if i'm at wine events and theres no organized way to keep track what I drank and or there are 25 amazing wines I want to try and forget to spit and consume enough water

The gemara says that yayin shel achar seuda gets you drunk, its very true, usually its just finishing the leftover wines that does it for me.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 31, 2017, 11:50:59 AM »
Impulsive = addictive. Addicts cannot control themselves. They almost always act impulsively. No discipline, not surprising. Addicts try every which way to bargain and reason with their vice. No judgments. Very interesting to see the struggle played out.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 31, 2017, 12:01:59 PM »
Simple test. Stop drinking for one week.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #138 on: October 31, 2017, 12:23:41 PM »
I once had a worker in my house who was telling me that his family was saying how he was an alcoholic and he wanted to prove them wrong so he stopped drinking for a week. He said it was such torture and he couldn't wait for the week to be over since he couldn't sleep etc. "but I proved to them that I can live without alcohol". I told him that he should think it over and that maybe he proved them correct.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 31, 2017, 12:38:31 PM »

I have many times, I dont see the point.