Author Topic: Is this too close for shabbos?  (Read 6584 times)

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
Is this too close for shabbos?
« on: October 27, 2017, 04:23:28 PM »
USM-SIN landing at 4:20 PM when licht is 7:01 (late Jan). If flight gets delayed I could make emergency arrangements in USM.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Is this too close for shabbos?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 04:26:04 PM »
Too close. Stay by Chabad of USM for Shabbos.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
Is this too close for shabbos?
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 04:34:03 PM »
Don’t have much of a choice. Leaving 10 or 11 am from SIN Sunday. Leaving earlier would be significantly more expensive :(

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 04:43:33 PM »
Don’t have much of a choice. Leaving 10 or 11 am from SIN Sunday. Leaving earlier would be significantly more expensive :(
S'iz shver tzu zein a Yid.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 04:52:33 PM »
You’re telling me.

1. What are the chances that four seats in Y on MI flight /Sq waitlist clears? That’s the only other option and revenue fares r 300.

2. If I got Citi prestige 4th night free already credited and hotel refunds me the 4th night, does Citi claw back?

Offline Denverite

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 12:54:34 AM »
Why is it too late? I’m on I think the exact same flight a week later (first week in February) although our flight is scheduled to arrive in Sin at 1515. If your flight in USM gets delayed more than an hour or two then you just leave the airport and go to a hotel near Chabad. To be extra safe don’t check bags to Waste time retrieving them in  Sin or if you need to just cut your losses On your USM flight and didn’t want them to go in without you.

Not sure how waitlist works in Silk but we are able to book 5 y tickets on that flight.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 12:59:13 AM »
Why is it too late? I’m on I think the exact same flight a week later (first week in February) although our flight is scheduled to arrive in Sin at 1515. If your flight in USM gets delayed more than an hour or two then you just leave the airport and go to a hotel near Chabad. To be extra safe don’t check bags to Waste time retrieving them in  Sin or if you need to just cut your losses On your USM flight and didn’t want them to go in without you.

Not sure how waitlist works in Silk but we are able to book 5 y tickets on that flight.

Silkair reduced a lot of their availability around a week ago. They had ~5 seats a week ago but now have very little most dates in January. That's the flight I'd like to take, the PG flight which has availability (and is cheaper) is around an hour alter.

How long r u going to USM? Where r u staying?

Offline ad120

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 01:22:40 AM »

If the flight gets delayed over two hours is he not eligible for reacommodation? Which in that case he can go On Any Sunday flight. Correct?

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 01:39:21 AM »
If the flight gets delayed over two hours is he not eligible for reacommodation? Which in that case he can go On Any Sunday flight. Correct?
My issue is im going home on Sunday and would miss my return

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 02:41:13 AM »
USM-SIN landing at 4:20 PM when licht is 7:01 (late Jan). If flight gets delayed I could make emergency arrangements in USM.
This is a question for your LOR.

You’re telling me.

1. What are the chances that four seats in Y on MI flight /Sq waitlist clears? That’s the only other option and revenue fares r 300.
I don't know about 4 seats in Y clearing waitlist, but I recently waitlisted a flight on SQ that was showing nothing but full fare availability, and even that was very limited. Everyone was telling me chances to clear waitlist are slim to none (and slim is out of town), and I thought so myself, yet I gave it a chance (and asked SQ to nudge it).

Waitlist cleared about 2 days (IINM) before the flight (which was indeed fully packed).

Now, granted, this was only for one seat, but as I said it did clear 2 days in advance for a FULLY BOOKED flight.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 02:59:29 AM by ExGingi »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline ad120

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 02:49:07 AM »
I've never been to any of those locations. I therefore cannot comment on them specifically. However under normal circumstances it should not be an issue. What would you do if you would not be able to take that flight due to Shabbos? Do you really want to risk a no show on your SIN return flight?

Offline ad120

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 02:53:18 AM »

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 10:02:53 AM »
Silkair reduced a lot of their availability around a week ago. They had ~5 seats a week ago but now have very little most dates in January. That's the flight I'd like to take, the PG flight which has availability (and is cheaper) is around an hour alter.

How long r u going to USM? Where r u staying?

Ah, ok I’ve got it now. I wonder if the flights just filled since it is high season, instead of them closing availability.  We are staying at the Conrad Koh Samui. I purposely didn’t plan to stay Shabbos on the island because I wanted to be with a Minyan but preferred not to have my older kids in town, exposed to the seediness of some parts of Thailand.

My issue is im going home on Sunday and would miss my return

So for me, this changes everything. The only reason I feel comfortable even with the 3pm flights, is because if for some reason we need to stay in USM for Shabbos I can get to Singapore on Sunday for our Monday morning return home.  I would only take this kind of chance because I double and triple wrapped contingency plans into my itinerary (you’d also need to have hotel info ready next to Chabad in USM). Now it probably is an LOR question because you could be setting yourself up to choose between Shabbos and a large financial loss, pushing you to make decisions you wouldn’t normally make if things go south, and that’s not a situation I’d want to be in.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 11:28:37 AM by Denverite »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 11:16:40 AM »
The lack of a viable backup plan is definitely part of the issue.

But I've sat on planes on the tarmac for 3 hours before, so I always try to picture what will happen if we wait for 3 hours and then take off at that point while refusing to let anyone off, lest they lose their takeoff approval.

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2017, 11:21:57 AM »
The lack of a viable backup plan is definitely part of the issue.

But I've sat on planes on the tarmac for 3 hours before, so I always try to picture what will happen if we wait for 3 hours and then take off at that point while refusing to let anyone off, lest they lose their takeoff approval.
Is there a minyan in SIN airport?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2017, 11:56:40 AM »
I would push back my USM trip a day earlier but there’s only one of my rooms and it obviously is sold out the 2 week around my stay in either direction, so I’d need to significantly  downgrade

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2017, 12:41:22 PM »
Is there a minyan in SIN airport?

Yeah totally...lol! There are, however, onsite hotels if you get there right before Shabbat and don’t want to chance a cab ride to near the shul. Not having a Minyan to daven is totally different than breaking Shabbos.

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2017, 01:11:44 PM »
I would push back my USM trip a day earlier but there’s only one of my rooms and it obviously is sold out the 2 week around my stay in either direction, so I’d need to significantly  downgrade
I think you should bring up these issues when discussing with your LOR whether the flight is too close to Shabbos. It's important to have a complete picture.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2017, 01:12:38 PM »
I think you should bring up these issues when discussing with your LOR whether the flight is too close to Shabbos. It's important to have a complete picture.
Ya, I don’t think I’m taking that flight. The 3:20 flight id chance w backup options at both cities.

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2017, 02:50:05 PM »
Which ever way your trip plays out this is a great new master thread. Have had many occasions to weigh this issue.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.