Author Topic: Wifi Extenders  (Read 1504 times)

Offline Sowhat

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Wifi Extenders
« on: January 08, 2021, 09:43:47 AM »
I use FIOS and have a CISCO wifi extender that has worked pretty well for the last 5 years or so.  The problem is that it has its own password which I cannot remember.  I think I can call Verizon and they will help me reset it.  But, can someone offer a tutorial that explains the newer extenders (mesh?) and if they are worth the investment above the $25 that a new extender will cost? Thanks.

Offline maylei

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Wifi Extenders
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 09:45:17 AM »
I recommend tplink extender make sure it’s the one you don’t need to make a new password for I can try and get the link but I have used it for 5+ years and it is amazing

Offline mileagejunkie

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 607
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 10:32:49 AM »
I use FIOS and have a CISCO wifi extender that has worked pretty well for the last 5 years or so.  The problem is that it has its own password which I cannot remember.  I think I can call Verizon and they will help me reset it.  But, can someone offer a tutorial that explains the newer extenders (mesh?) and if they are worth the investment above the $25 that a new extender will cost? Thanks.
If you pay for fiber you might as well get full advantage of its speeds. An extender will typically max out well below fiber speeds while a mesh network can essentially provide consistent speeds throughout your house.
Note that it's not enough that a routers' advertised speeds matches or exceeds your networks speeds, you should look specifically for its speed capabilities on 2.4GHz, 5GHz and over Wi-Fi and ethernet. The most versatile options are in the Orbi range. I'd be happy to confirm if the one you're interested in will allow to take full advantage of your network.

Offline Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 12:32:21 PM »
If the extender served you well why look for something else?
It should be easy to reset, what's the exact model?
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline Sowhat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 02:04:49 PM »
If you pay for fiber you might as well get full advantage of its speeds. An extender will typically max out well below fiber speeds while a mesh network can essentially provide consistent speeds throughout your house.
Note that it's not enough that a routers' advertised speeds matches or exceeds your networks speeds, you should look specifically for its speed capabilities on 2.4GHz, 5GHz and over Wi-Fi and ethernet. The most versatile options are in the Orbi range. I'd be happy to confirm if the one you're interested in will allow to take full advantage of your network.

No idea what this means.   :-[ :-\

Offline Sowhat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 02:07:00 PM »
If the extender served you well why look for something else?
It should be easy to reset, what's the exact model?

Linksys PLW400

Offline Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline Sowhat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 02:17:00 PM »
Thanks.  Now that I started this conversation, does it pay to upgrade to something better?  There are still dead spots in my house but that just may be as a result of the placing.  Router is the basement, the extender is on first floor.  Second floor has some bad spots and attic is weak.  I just never did anything about it.

Online Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2021, 03:38:07 PM »
Can anyone recommend a wifi extender?

I need to temporarily get stronger wifi on the second floor of a house, at the other end of the house from where the router is located on the first floor.

Seems like lots of Netgear and TP-Link extenders are on sale on Amazon today on Today's Deals page. Any recommendations?