Topic Wiki

Dan's TR: http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/87280

Summary of kosher food options in the bay area:

Restaurants:
(all under hashgacha of the Sunrise Kosher / Vaad Hakashrus of Northern California unless otherwise stated)

San Francisco
Sabra Grill (Chinatown)
L'chaim Foods (not a restaurant, take out / delivery only) currently "Under Orthodox Certification of Rabbi Joel Landau."
Frena BakeryDairy and pareve sambusak, burekas, shakshuka, savory and sweet baked goods
Limonnana Middle Eastern dishes, principally Falafel, Shawarma, and Hummus, and of course, delicious limonnanas.
Hummus Bodega Hummus, Falafel, Middle Eastern in the Richmond district

East Bay
Amba Falafel (Oakland) (Fleishig as of 4/28/14). Pas Yisroel available by request CLOSED
Oakland Kosher (Oakland) Fleishigs. Check for certs on www.restaurant.com.
Cafe 3 at UC Berkeley
Touro Kitchen in Vallejo, CA - http://dining.tu.edu/menu.html

South Bay
Izzy's Bagels (Palo Alto) Pas Yisroel. Some Items Cholov Yisroel, Check the kashrus certificate, Open on Shabbos
Kosher Food Oasis at the OFJCC (Palo Alto) Holy Sushi requires ordering in advance. Walk-in orders are accepted for Caffe Mediterraneum and for many items at Malawach Bar. Please check vendor sites for individual holiday hours. All under the Vaad.
Jerusalem Grill (Palo Alto area)  not Kosher, no Kashrus certification, not Jewish owned (as of Nov.22, 2015)
Pars Kosher Market in San Jose, certified by the Vaad, now has a small eat in section (4 tables, first come first serve) with a short meat menu and ready made hot food. Also lots of kosher groceries.
Stanford University Cafeteria weekday lunches five days a week and dinners Monday - Thurs. General public can pay at Florence Moore Dorm and enjoy the Kosher section. Fleishig (meat) for both meals each day. Flo-Mo, as it is called, is on Mayfield Ave., across from the parking lot of Tressidor.  Finding the dining hall can be a challenge for outsiders but any student will direct you.

Groceries (etc):

San Francisco
CHOUX Bakery - French cream puffs (Haight-Ashbury) Pas yisroel, cholov yisroel. No longer certified kosher / open on Shabbos.

East Bay
Oakland Kosher.
Grand Bakery (Oakland) Pas Yisroel, Dairy items are NOT cholov yisroel. Closing 12/23/16
Berkeley Bowl (Berkeley) has some kosher items.
Costco (Definitely the one in Richmond. I believe this applies to others in the Bay Area, but this is what I know firsthand.) has cholov yisroel cheese and Jack's sausages. (As of August 2014)

South Bay
I believe Mollie Stone's in Palo Alto has a big Kosher selection. there are probably other options there as well.

« Last edited by ninjaleh on January 17, 2023, 12:38:15 PM »

Author Topic: San Francisco/No Cal Master Thread  (Read 199979 times)

Offline kivabb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: San Francisco/No Cal Master Thread
« Reply #520 on: April 02, 2017, 09:25:30 PM »
Considering going with family in summer and going through Yosemite. Kids aged 0-17 with 7 in between so no major hiking, but we do the baby carriers and kids like to walk. I would rent a home in Yosemite West for a few nights. Can someone tell me if 2 nights/3 days is more then sufficient or should I do 3/4? Thank you.

Offline SSLPhD

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: April 03, 2017, 09:07:57 AM »
Considering going with family in summer and going through Yosemite. Kids aged 0-17 with 7 in between so no major hiking, but we do the baby carriers and kids like to walk. I would rent a home in Yosemite West for a few nights. Can someone tell me if 2 nights/3 days is more then sufficient or should I do 3/4? Thank you.
I would go for the extra day.  We were there for two days/one night (with young kids), barely scratched the surface.  Definitely enough to do for a longer stay.
44/50, 46/63

Offline Luvtotravel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: April 15, 2017, 10:05:26 PM »
can anyone advise me as to where to stay in san francisco area over shabbos, walking distance to minyan? points hotel preferred
Don't wait for the perfect moment; take the moment and make it perfect.

Offline mochada

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: April 16, 2017, 04:49:30 PM »
can anyone advise me as to where to stay in san francisco area over shabbos, walking distance to minyan? points hotel preferred

Chabad of SoMa has hotels near by.

Offline kivabb

• View Profile
« Reply #524 on: April 24, 2017, 03:23:01 PM »
I plan on landing in SFO on a Sunday sometime after this summer with my family (9 total including kids) and spending 2 nights in San Francisco area before heading over to Yosemite. I was hoping to find a 4K SPG hotel and take 3 of them a night but cheapest I found is 10K points a night. Was hoping to do same with Hyatt but nothing in cheap range. VRBO for something decent is $400+ a night and they nail you for each additional kid.

Any experience or suggestion where we can stay would be very much appreciated.  Does not have to be in San Francisco proper. Ideally some sort of kitchen is ideal but not a must (would have easily grabbed SPG hotel at 4K even with no kitchen). No set dates yet.

Thank you.

Offline E R K

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: April 24, 2017, 09:27:33 PM »
I plan on landing in SFO on a Sunday sometime after this summer with my family (9 total including kids) and spending 2 nights in San Francisco area before heading over to Yosemite. I was hoping to find a 4K SPG hotel and take 3 of them a night but cheapest I found is 10K points a night. Was hoping to do same with Hyatt but nothing in cheap range. VRBO for something decent is $400+ a night and they nail you for each additional kid.

Any experience or suggestion where we can stay would be very much appreciated.  Does not have to be in San Francisco proper. Ideally some sort of kitchen is ideal but not a must (would have easily grabbed SPG hotel at 4K even with no kitchen). No set dates yet.

Thank you.
Hyatt House Emeryville is right over the bay bridge and has kitchen.

Offline kivabb

• View Profile
« Reply #526 on: April 24, 2017, 10:17:38 PM »
Hyatt House Emeryville is right over the bay bridge and has kitchen.

Yes, I had my eye on that but seems they're not taking points and it's $270 a night (would need 3)

Offline peroneustertius

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Chabad of San Francisco
« Reply #527 on: May 01, 2017, 03:35:41 PM »
Is anybody familiar with this Chabad?  They provide shabbos meals but they have no hechsher.  Is it reliable?  Does anyone know of anywhere else to get shabbos food in San Francisco?  I apologize in advance if I posted this in the wrong area.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 04:23:02 PM by peroneustertius »

Offline keemster26

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Chabad of San Francisco and The Bike
« Reply #528 on: May 01, 2017, 04:03:03 PM »
The bike?

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
Re: Chabad of San Francisco and The Bike
« Reply #529 on: May 01, 2017, 04:30:54 PM »
Is anybody familiar with this Chabad?  They provide shabbos meals but they have no hechsher.  Is it reliable?  Does anyone know of anywhere else to get shabbos food in San Francisco?  I apologize in advance if I posted this in the wrong area.
Are you sure about the hecsher? asked them?
I was pretty sure they did have...

Offline Luvtotravel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Chabad of San Francisco
« Reply #530 on: May 12, 2017, 10:24:06 AM »
I spoke to the rabbi, and was pretty comfortable eating there, though there were mostly irreligious guests with mixed seating.
Don't wait for the perfect moment; take the moment and make it perfect.

Offline challah baker

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: May 12, 2017, 02:29:35 PM »
Any reports from Frena yet?
http://www.frenabakery.com/
Yes! I was there two days ago. Very nice place, overall food was great! They have pastries, donuts, breads, soups, and many dairy calzones and sandwiches. I had a few of each and all were delicious. All dairy is cholov yisroel and they have many parve options. Only negative is that the neighborhood is not the best. 

Offline shaulyaakov

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: May 19, 2017, 02:17:03 PM »
Anyone have experience using the luggage storage at Pier 39. I'll be flying in to SFO on Friday and am spending Shabbos in Oakland. I have a few hours for touring on Friday, but no hotel downtown to drop luggage at. I'll have 1 large suitcase, 2 carryons.

Alternatively, does anyone know of a better option?

Offline chevron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Chabad of San Francisco
« Reply #533 on: May 19, 2017, 03:15:52 PM »

Who? there are a few chabad's there but I trust them all and know most personally

Offline jewdkoff

• View Profile
« Reply #534 on: June 07, 2017, 12:28:59 PM »
Has anyone stayed at the Ritz Half Moon Bay? Looking for ideas for a relaxing itinerary and maybe some tips on how to get a discounted spa treatment. Thanks!

Offline jewdkoff

• View Profile
« Reply #535 on: June 07, 2017, 12:35:14 PM »
Izzy's bagels in Palo Alto was good, as was Lechaim sushi take out.
Was there cholov Yisrael stuff?

Offline ninjaleh

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: June 07, 2017, 01:10:06 PM »
Izzy's has cholov yisrael pizza. But besides that, nothing else (that I know of) is cholov yisrael.  I understand they have a special oven for the cholov yisrael pizza, but you should confirm with them as sometimes pizza runs out for lunch. Cal ave gets really busy at lunch time on weekdays. They have good bagels and tuna, egg salad, etc, many pareve options too though...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 01:22:05 PM by ninjaleh »

Offline jewdkoff

• View Profile
« Reply #537 on: June 08, 2017, 04:16:14 PM »
Izzy's has cholov yisrael pizza. But besides that, nothing else (that I know of) is cholov yisrael.  I understand they have a special oven for the cholov yisrael pizza, but you should confirm with them as sometimes pizza runs out for lunch. Cal ave gets really busy at lunch time on weekdays. They have good bagels and tuna, egg salad, etc, many pareve options too though...

Thanks! This is really good info.

Offline Proisrael

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG,Hilton,Club Carlson
« Reply #538 on: August 14, 2017, 03:55:13 AM »
I am planning a crazy road trip for a trip with the inlaws. The trip starts in Los Angeles driving to San Francisco then onto Yosemite, Las Vegas, and then either returning via San Diego or straight to Los Angeles. I am currently searching for hotels in San Francisco and they are insanely expensive. Are there cheaper options outside of the actual City? Any recommendations?

Offline Scmcodes

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: August 14, 2017, 12:36:59 PM »
Does anyone know if google does tours or if someone has an inside man lmk