Topic Wiki

Barcelona
Links to Trip Reports: @Yehuda, Yehoshua, CGR
Kosher Restaurants: http://www.restaurantmaccabi.com/en/
Activities: Jewish Tours in Barcelona, http://www.urbancultours.com
http://www.barcelonadreaming.com/package/barcelona-jewish-tour/
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips: Stay at Hotel Condado it is about a 3 minute walk from the shul (local community), bear in mind there is no eruv, so you will need to either leave the room open or make some arrangement with the hotel, they do not offer keys (or have that option at all)
Public Transport options:
Guidebooks:
Other Tips: Jewish Community of Barcelona (Orthodox): http://www.cibonline.org; Go to the local shul and meet Rabbi Daniel Ashkenazi he is wonderful and quite helpful.

Madrid
Links to Trip Reports: @Yehuda, @Yehuda pics, Yehoshua, @zalc (Mini)., CGR
Kosher Restaurants: http://www.restaurantelaescudilla.com  https://www.pinatimadrid.com/  https://www.pizzeriarimmon.com/(teuda)
Activities: Toledo - a day trip from Madrid to see 2 old Shuls. Can hire a tour guide, Rabbi Hanoka (info@jewishtoledotour.com), which is not cheap, or can take a train on your own. 1 of the Shuls (El Transito) is closed on Mondays. @Yehuda went on a day when that Shul was closed, and the other Shul was really just an empty room and seemed like a Christian organization now runs the center. Without a tour guide, it was hard to get anything Jewish out of our trip (other than an antique store that had some Judaica). But, people who have taken the tour (discussed in the thread) have said it was great! Recommended to go with a tour or not go at all (and ensure to go on a day when both are open!). Report in the thread that the sometimes-closed Shul has audio headsets for use, so that would help. If going alone, you can research the Jewish places at the link HERE
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips: Chabad Site
Public Transport options: Uber works well, as does the subway if you speak Spanish.
Guidebooks:
Other Tips: Jewish Community of Madrid (Orthodox), http://www.cjmadrid.org

Malaga
Links to Trip Reports:
CGR
Kosher Restaurants:
Activities:
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips:
Guidebooks:
Other Tips: Comunidad Israelita de Malaga (Orthodox), http://www.cimalaga.es

Seville
Links to Trip Reports: @Yehuda, Yehoshua, CGR
Kosher Restaurants:
Activities: Jewish Tours in Sevilla/Cordoba, http://www.jewishsevilla.com
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips:
Guidebooks:
Other Tips: Comunidad Judia de Sevilla, synagoguesevilla@gmail.com

Gibraltar
Links to Trip Reports: Yehoshua
Kosher Restaurants: Amar's Bakery and Coffee shop, http://www.amarsbakery.com/
Activities:
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips:
Guidebooks:
Other Tips: Jewish Community of Gibraltar, http://www.jewishgibraltar.com

Mallorca
Links to Trip Reports:
CGR
Kosher Restaurants: Their is not - one restaurant serve felafel it's own by an israeli but no hechsher
Activities:
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips: The Shul its open on Friday night
Guidebooks:
Other Tips:

4500 IB Avios from anywhere to anywhere in the country
Best way to get around anywhere in this country is by scooter. It is safer driving them there since they outnumber cars by great proportions.
« Last edited by cgr on September 04, 2023, 09:01:01 PM »

Author Topic: Spain Master Thread  (Read 284791 times)

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Spain Master Thread
« Reply #1160 on: December 21, 2022, 09:43:20 AM »
Know anything about parking tickets in UK?
Nope, but probably similar. The car is registered in your name and therefore you may end up on a list for immigration if you don't pay it. It's not worth that hassle.

Offline Jo 08701

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: December 25, 2022, 06:45:50 AM »
I got a few fines in EU, 1 parking in Spain, 2 speed cameras in Netherlands, 1 speed camera in Belgium.
The car rental companies always first charged the administrative fee. I was not even provided payment options for the fine. Just got an email that a fee was charged.
Went through EU immigration more than 10 times. No issue.
It could be, since I got a new passport it was not transferred? I am always prepared when I travel to the EU to pay it.

Offline eli1571

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: January 05, 2023, 12:14:48 PM »
worth going to marbella for 3 days ?

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #1163 on: January 05, 2023, 12:20:46 PM »
worth going to marbella for 3 days ?
Sure.

Fun ATV'ing, Beach, Old town to explore, mountains to hike.

Some really nice boutique hotels there.

Definitely don't need 3 days, but it'd be nice.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline yitzy93

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: January 05, 2023, 12:28:52 PM »
Nope, but probably similar. The car is registered in your name and therefore you may end up on a list for immigration if you don't pay it. It's not worth that hassle.
In the UK? Immigration list for not paying parking fine?
Highly unlikely!

Offline ab613

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: January 05, 2023, 07:30:47 PM »
Sure.

Landing in AGP and driving down to Gibraltar. Have a few hours to spare. Do you recommend stopping in Malaga or Marbella? TIA

Offline eli1571

• View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: January 05, 2023, 08:05:24 PM »
Sure.

Thanks,
Any points hotel recommended ?

Offline Shmelly

• View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: February 24, 2023, 10:07:26 AM »
Is there anything kosher within a 45 minute drive of Valencia?
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. - Dr. Seuss

Offline seemorehabs

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Platinum
« Reply #1168 on: March 19, 2023, 12:14:01 PM »
Going to Spain IyH in early August with 5 kids (ranging 18-7). Arriving in Barcelona late Wednesday and departing from Madrid the following Wednesday. Trying to decide when we should take a train to Madrid and still give us enough time in both cities? I'd love to go to Toldeo and Capcances Winery as well but doubt that'll work out with the kids.

Open to all tips/suggestions in terms of itineraries and even rentals/air bnb's.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 01:31:29 PM by seemorehabs »

Offline gidster007

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: May 16, 2023, 06:28:33 AM »
Does anyone have most current information for Shlomo Hanoka? The email listed in the thread above gave me a bounceback and the JewishToledo website form did not elicit any response. Is he still operating? Thanks!

Offline seemorehabs

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Platinum
« Reply #1170 on: July 18, 2023, 06:50:03 AM »
Same issue. Still seeking a guide for a tour of Toledo , please share any recommendations you may have gotten. Thanks

Does anyone have most current information for Shlomo Hanoka? The email listed in the thread above gave me a bounceback and the JewishToledo website form did not elicit any response. Is he still operating? Thanks!

Offline kosherjid

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: July 18, 2023, 12:26:15 PM »
Same issue. Still seeking a guide for a tour of Toledo , please share any recommendations you may have gotten. Thanks

What are you interested to see in Toledo ? There is literally nothing left of the glorious Jewish past in Spain. In Toledo you can hear this:
https://www.torahanytime.com/#/lectures?v=247302       Town square in Toledo where Inquisition was declared
https://www.torahanytime.com/#/lectures?v=247132       Bet you didn’t know why it was called „holy Toledo“
https://www.torahanytime.com/#/lectures?v=247303      The inscription on the Kever of the Rosh and his wife in Toledo
https://www.torahanytime.com/#/lectures?v=247388      Toledo the life of R.Yehudo Halevy

Offline dta42

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: July 18, 2023, 04:28:49 PM »
The Gibraltar thread is old so posting here-  Im trying to reach Rabbi Hasid in Gibraltar about making arrangements for Shabbos in August., I emailed the Jewish Community email as well as the kosher agency but have-not heard back, If anyone has a contact for him or for someone that can help with Shabbos meals I would appreciate it.

Thank you

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: July 19, 2023, 09:39:47 AM »
The Gibraltar thread is old so posting here-  Im trying to reach Rabbi Hasid in Gibraltar about making arrangements for Shabbos in August., I emailed the Jewish Community email as well as the kosher agency but have-not heard back, If anyone has a contact for him or for someone that can help with Shabbos meals I would appreciate it.

Thank you
Try calling

Offline yossi94

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: August 01, 2023, 08:40:43 PM »
So does anyone have a tour guide that is currently operating in Madrid/Toledo that knows the Jewish history? Or have they all moved/stopped?

Offline gidster007

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: August 02, 2023, 10:23:20 AM »
So does anyone have a tour guide that is currently operating in Madrid/Toledo that knows the Jewish history? Or have they all moved/stopped?

I've tried reaching out to Shlomo Hanoka (recommended here). No response. If you have any luck reaching him or know of any others, please let me know.

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: August 03, 2023, 01:06:43 AM »
Going to Spain IyH in early August with 5 kids (ranging 18-7). Arriving in Barcelona late Wednesday and departing from Madrid the following Wednesday. Trying to decide when we should take a train to Madrid and still give us enough time in both cities? I'd love to go to Toldeo and Capcances Winery as well but doubt that'll work out with the kids.

Open to all tips/suggestions in terms of itineraries and even rentals/air bnb's.

Thanks!

Capcanes not so fun to visit. Go to Elvi in marca falcet

Toledo was fun, I took a bus tour etc

But both trips will eat up a day

Offline gidster007

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: August 09, 2023, 11:28:27 AM »

I spoke to another guide in a different part of the country. He told me that both Shlomo Hanoka and Asher Bentolila have moved out of Spain. He will give me names of people currently offering Jewish tours in Madrid and Toledo area, so message me if you still need.

Offline travellove

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: August 28, 2023, 09:41:24 PM »
Thank you very much of all the posters here. Your info was very helpful.

Will give a very brief rundown of what I did.

Monday-Madrid did the Royal Palace tour with the audio guide. My time was 11:45, but I arrived when it opened and was no issue. Then did a walking Tour of the City. Was very good. Then had dinner at Solomon. Food was ok. Took Uber to airport. Flight To Granada.

Tuesday-Granada. Took along food. Stayed in Marriot with points. Went to Alhmbra. Need to be by the Palace at correct time. Walked the old part of the city, the arabian quarter, and they have some cave houses.

Wednesday-Malaga. Went by bus from Granada to Malaga. Enjoyed the stps in the towns that the bus makes. In Malaga walked around. Went to beach/pool. There is a new kosher restaurant there (if someone can update the wiki) name is Restaurante La Kaña Kosher. It opened 4 months ago. The husband and wife came from Venezuela 8 years ago. He takes care of the place and she cooks. Sound like vey nice people. Hechsher is from Rabbi of Malaga. The food tasted really good & homey. I had falfel & chicken cutlet with fries.

Thursday-Gibraltar. Took the bus again from Malaga to Gibraltar. The bus stops in La Línea. I walked over the border. Passed the runway. Went up by cable car. Did some walking on Main Street. Ate at the kosher restaurant Amar’s. Then flew home.

Was extremely hot when I went. If not, would’ve probably accomplished a bit more in each city.  Taxis/ Ubers are very cheap locally.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: August 28, 2023, 11:23:48 PM »
Thank you very much of all the posters here. Your info was very helpful.

Will give a very brief rundown of what I did.

Monday-Madrid did the Royal Palace tour with the audio guide. My time was 11:45, but I arrived when it opened and was no issue. Then did a walking Tour of the City. Was very good. Then had dinner at Solomon. Food was ok. Took Uber to airport. Flight To Granada.

Tuesday-Granada. Took along food. Stayed in Marriot with points. Went to Alhmbra. Need to be by the Palace at correct time. Walked the old part of the city, the arabian quarter, and they have some cave houses.

Wednesday-Malaga. Went by bus from Granada to Malaga. Enjoyed the stps in the towns that the bus makes. In Malaga walked around. Went to beach/pool. There is a new kosher restaurant there (if someone can update the wiki) name is Restaurante La Kaña Kosher. It opened 4 months ago. The husband and wife came from Venezuela 8 years ago. He takes care of the place and she cooks. Sound like vey nice people. Hechsher is from Rabbi of Malaga. The food tasted really good & homey. I had falfel & chicken cutlet with fries.

Thursday-Gibraltar. Took the bus again from Malaga to Gibraltar. The bus stops in La Línea. I walked over the border. Passed the runway. Went up by cable car. Did some walking on Main Street. Ate at the kosher restaurant Amar’s. Then flew home.

Was extremely hot when I went. If not, would’ve probably accomplished a bit more in each city.  Taxis/ Ubers are very cheap locally.
Nice. Spain in the summer is super hot, that's just how it is.