Topic Wiki

Barcelona
Links to Trip Reports: @Yehuda, Yehoshua, CGR
Kosher Restaurants: http://www.restaurantmaccabi.com/en/
Activities: Jewish Tours in Barcelona, http://www.urbancultours.com
http://www.barcelonadreaming.com/package/barcelona-jewish-tour/
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips: Stay at Hotel Condado it is about a 3 minute walk from the shul (local community), bear in mind there is no eruv, so you will need to either leave the room open or make some arrangement with the hotel, they do not offer keys (or have that option at all)
Public Transport options:
Guidebooks:
Other Tips: Jewish Community of Barcelona (Orthodox): http://www.cibonline.org; Go to the local shul and meet Rabbi Daniel Ashkenazi he is wonderful and quite helpful.

Madrid
Links to Trip Reports: @Yehuda, @Yehuda pics, Yehoshua, @zalc (Mini)., CGR
Kosher Restaurants: http://www.restaurantelaescudilla.com  https://www.pinatimadrid.com/  https://www.pizzeriarimmon.com/(teuda)
Activities: Toledo - a day trip from Madrid to see 2 old Shuls. Can hire a tour guide, Rabbi Hanoka (info@jewishtoledotour.com), which is not cheap, or can take a train on your own. 1 of the Shuls (El Transito) is closed on Mondays. @Yehuda went on a day when that Shul was closed, and the other Shul was really just an empty room and seemed like a Christian organization now runs the center. Without a tour guide, it was hard to get anything Jewish out of our trip (other than an antique store that had some Judaica). But, people who have taken the tour (discussed in the thread) have said it was great! Recommended to go with a tour or not go at all (and ensure to go on a day when both are open!). Report in the thread that the sometimes-closed Shul has audio headsets for use, so that would help. If going alone, you can research the Jewish places at the link HERE
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips: Chabad Site
Public Transport options: Uber works well, as does the subway if you speak Spanish.
Guidebooks:
Other Tips: Jewish Community of Madrid (Orthodox), http://www.cjmadrid.org

Malaga
Links to Trip Reports:
CGR
Kosher Restaurants:
Activities:
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips:
Guidebooks:
Other Tips: Comunidad Israelita de Malaga (Orthodox), http://www.cimalaga.es

Seville
Links to Trip Reports: @Yehuda, Yehoshua, CGR
Kosher Restaurants:
Activities: Jewish Tours in Sevilla/Cordoba, http://www.jewishsevilla.com
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips:
Guidebooks:
Other Tips: Comunidad Judia de Sevilla, synagoguesevilla@gmail.com

Gibraltar
Links to Trip Reports: Yehoshua
Kosher Restaurants: Amar's Bakery and Coffee shop, http://www.amarsbakery.com/
Activities:
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips:
Guidebooks:
Other Tips: Jewish Community of Gibraltar, http://www.jewishgibraltar.com

Mallorca
Links to Trip Reports:
CGR
Kosher Restaurants: Their is not - one restaurant serve felafel it's own by an israeli but no hechsher
Activities:
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips: The Shul its open on Friday night
Guidebooks:
Other Tips:

4500 IB Avios from anywhere to anywhere in the country
Best way to get around anywhere in this country is by scooter. It is safer driving them there since they outnumber cars by great proportions.
« Last edited by cgr on September 04, 2023, 09:01:01 PM »

Author Topic: Spain Master Thread  (Read 269517 times)

Offline Sammy12345

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Spain Master Thread
« Reply #120 on: November 10, 2012, 04:10:58 PM »
Hello
I am looking for some help on booking to Spain. I am planing on leaving March 12-19 from TLV-Barcelona I have 40,500 avios points I tried searching on there website but for some reason i never am able to get a flight maybe i am doing it incorrectly..... can someone help me on that?I was looking for  ideas of what to do there? Has anyone been to valencia i heard that there are really cool stuff there to do..... Being that its not the time of year for beaches I was looking for ideas..... Bull fighting...
 TIA

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #121 on: November 10, 2012, 07:10:03 PM »
Bull fighting...
went to a bullfight in madrid...
if you do go, be prepared to witness one of the most cruel, barbaric sights you will ever see
(im not an animal lover either...)
couldnt stay more than 2 rounds

Offline yg99

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 05, 2012, 10:50:07 AM »

Activities Day 3: This was the highlight of our trip. We were picked up at the hotel by Salomon who drove us to Toledo and gave us a fascinating 3 hour walking tour of history and Jewish perspective. Awesome. He then drove us to Madrid and showed us the significant points of interest in Madrid. He then drove us back to the hotel. Solomon’s website is http://www.jewishtoledotour.com/

Anyone else go on this Toledo tour? Any comments to add?

Offline Got a clue

• View Profile
Barcelona Thread
« Reply #123 on: December 18, 2012, 02:06:48 AM »
Hey I see that there is no seperate thread discussing Barcelona. Im thinking of going there march-april time for 2 days and wanted some ideas... any nice hotels for a decent price? I dont have spg..... is there a jewish tour in Barcelona itself? What are the "cant miss" sights? And did any1 rent a gocar? Thanks

Offline moish

• View Profile
Re: Barcelona Thread
« Reply #124 on: December 18, 2012, 02:41:32 AM »
Hey I see that there is no seperate thread discussing Barcelona. Im thinking of going there march-april time for 2 days and wanted some ideas... any nice hotels for a decent price? I dont have spg..... is there a jewish tour in Barcelona itself? What are the "cant miss" sights? And did any1 rent a gocar? Thanks
jewish tour - http://www.urbancultours.com/

i rented a gocar

Offline Got a clue

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 18, 2012, 06:23:23 AM »
Did you think the go car was a good way to see the city? Group tour or went on your own?

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 18, 2012, 07:32:48 AM »
Did you think the go car was a good way to see the city? Group tour or went on your own?
absolutely, on our own, but theres a route map and the gps tells you things as you pass certain landmarks. you can easily park it in the scooter parking spots

Offline yg99

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 20, 2013, 05:03:41 PM »
re: Jewish Toledo Tour.

A lot of $$ for not so much. 360 Euro + you need to pay for entry to both shuls. And he makes you pay for his entry tickets as well.

He said that it'll be a 5 hour walking tour. It was actually more like 3 1/2 hours.

He takes you to the two shuls that are left from before the inquisition, walks you around town, drives you outside of town for some nice views & gives you some bits of Jewish Toledo trivia.

You can easily walk around yourself.

The major advantage is that he picks you up in a private car in Madrid and drops you back in Madrid. Depending on how many people you are, the train can cost you 100-200 euro.

In retrospect, I would not have hired him. On the other hand, he is a BT and can use the $.

Offline world2see

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 28, 2013, 05:10:07 PM »
We are arriving late at night and departing early the next morning into Madrid airport, any recommendations as to where to stay? Preferably wouldn't want to leave airport, as well be with kids, any decent airport hotels? Thanks:)

Offline bitbythedog

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 05, 2013, 03:28:52 PM »
We are arriving late at night and departing early the next morning into Madrid airport, any recommendations as to where to stay? Preferably wouldn't want to leave airport, as well be with kids, any decent airport hotels? Thanks:)

im looking for the same....
did you end up finding anything ??
[scroll]...איזה הוא חכם[/scroll]

Offline Afight4ever

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 14, 2013, 09:52:04 PM »
If you have access to the VIP Salon lounge by Iberia, they have beds in a quite room that was very nice to get a few hours of sleep. not ideal but nice in case you get stuck.

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 22, 2013, 02:20:17 AM »
gib is probably a better bet for shabbos, not sure if u have enough time though

Offline ual902

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 22, 2013, 03:51:36 AM »
Anyone else go on this Toledo tour? Any comments to add?

You don't need a guide, I did Toledo myself without a guide there's like 2 shuls from before the Inquisition, Toledo is a small city.

Offline LAXtraveler

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis Preferred, National Executive, Hertz #1 Club Gold
« Reply #133 on: April 23, 2013, 01:49:43 PM »
Thats good I will look around in that case. Is there anything else to do in the area? Is driving to Madrid via Sevilla and Cordoba a good way to spend a few days? Other option is to fly to Barcelona from AGP near Gibraltar and spend a few days there.

I initially was gonna fly to Barcelona and then drive to Nice but one way rentals are out of control (best I found for 3 days was abt 800)

You can head down to Morocco via ferry I think from Gib or nearby.  Marbella, Malaga, Torremolinos are famous beach areas on the costa del sol (and the latter I think has a kosher restaurant during the summer).  I didn't go, but I think the Alhambra is also a few hours out.  I drove down from Sevilla to Gib one way when I did it and it was pleasant. Not sure I would venture to drive all the way to Madrid, but I'm sure people have - I just don't know the timing of it, etc. It all depends on what you're looking to do really.

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 23, 2013, 02:24:21 PM »
You can head down to Morocco via ferry I think from Gib or nearby.  Marbella, Malaga, Torremolinos are famous beach areas on the costa del sol (and the latter I think has a kosher restaurant during the summer).  I didn't go, but I think the Alhambra is also a few hours out.  I drove down from Sevilla to Gib one way when I did it and it was pleasant. Not sure I would venture to drive all the way to Madrid, but I'm sure people have - I just don't know the timing of it, etc. It all depends on what you're looking to do really.
ferry leaves from tarifa

alhambra is in granada

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 23, 2013, 07:36:38 PM »

Actually what I am planning on doing is flying into Lisbon from Newark and connecting later that day (Monday) to Casablanca Morroco.
Will spend week between Fez, Marrakech and Casablanca and Friday I plan on flying to AGP, Malaga, Spain. Will do Shabbos in Gibraltar and then trying to piece together the next week. I could probably spend a day or 2 in Gibraltar and coste de Sol as you guys are reccomending. Thing is I have another full week afterwards that I can spend in the region.

I was going to drive to Madrid but it seems like there is not much going on there.

Offline LAXtraveler

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis Preferred, National Executive, Hertz #1 Club Gold
« Reply #136 on: April 24, 2013, 12:12:21 PM »
Actually what I am planning on doing is flying into Lisbon from Newark and connecting later that day (Monday) to Casablanca Morroco.
Will spend week between Fez, Marrakech and Casablanca and Friday I plan on flying to AGP, Malaga, Spain. Will do Shabbos in Gibraltar and then trying to piece together the next week. I could probably spend a day or 2 in Gibraltar and coste de Sol as you guys are reccomending. Thing is I have another full week afterwards that I can spend in the region.

I was going to drive to Madrid but it seems like there is not much going on there.

I would probably do the Alhambra in Granada - from what I am told it is really an awesome sight.   I was not in Barcelona either, but I hear it is also a beautiful city if you like architecture. 

I really enjoyed a day in Sevilla and a day in Cordoba to see what there is there.  If you end up in Madrid, I suggest taking a day/part day trip to Toledo to see the sights there.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 24, 2013, 07:22:31 PM »
Thanks for all the help with Spain guys. The craziest thing happened to me, we were planning on going  to Bali this summer but could not find anything open in Biz class. Also we are taking a baby which makes it harder. Last night my wife changed her mind and said she would rather go to Bali instead of Spain and with great luck I got 2 seats NYC - PEK direct in biz. Got all the flights in Biz and we are booked for Bali!

After looking into Spain though it is on my list now. Think I will do it on the way to Israel next time I go, so thanks for the pointers.

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 24, 2013, 07:24:07 PM »
Thanks for all the help with Spain guys. The craziest thing happened to me, we were planning on going  to Bali this summer but could not find anything open in Biz class. Also we are taking a baby which makes it harder. Last night my wife changed her mind and said she would rather go to Bali instead of Spain and with great luck I got 2 seats NYC - PEK direct in biz. Got all the flights in Biz and we are booked for Bali!

After looking into Spain though it is on my list now. Think I will do it on the way to Israel next time I go, so thanks for the pointers.

Nice! Glad it worked out.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 24, 2013, 08:45:31 PM »
Nice! Glad it worked out.
Thanks! it's such a good feeling having it booked after looking at tickets since February  :)