Topic Wiki

Barcelona
Links to Trip Reports: @Yehuda, Yehoshua, CGR
Kosher Restaurants: http://www.restaurantmaccabi.com/en/
Activities: Jewish Tours in Barcelona, http://www.urbancultours.com
http://www.barcelonadreaming.com/package/barcelona-jewish-tour/
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips: Stay at Hotel Condado it is about a 3 minute walk from the shul (local community), bear in mind there is no eruv, so you will need to either leave the room open or make some arrangement with the hotel, they do not offer keys (or have that option at all)
Public Transport options:
Guidebooks:
Other Tips: Jewish Community of Barcelona (Orthodox): http://www.cibonline.org; Go to the local shul and meet Rabbi Daniel Ashkenazi he is wonderful and quite helpful.

Madrid
Links to Trip Reports: @Yehuda, @Yehuda pics, Yehoshua, @zalc (Mini)., CGR
Kosher Restaurants: http://www.restaurantelaescudilla.com  https://www.pinatimadrid.com/  https://www.pizzeriarimmon.com/(teuda)
Activities: Toledo - a day trip from Madrid to see 2 old Shuls. Can hire a tour guide, Rabbi Hanoka (info@jewishtoledotour.com), which is not cheap, or can take a train on your own. 1 of the Shuls (El Transito) is closed on Mondays. @Yehuda went on a day when that Shul was closed, and the other Shul was really just an empty room and seemed like a Christian organization now runs the center. Without a tour guide, it was hard to get anything Jewish out of our trip (other than an antique store that had some Judaica). But, people who have taken the tour (discussed in the thread) have said it was great! Recommended to go with a tour or not go at all (and ensure to go on a day when both are open!). Report in the thread that the sometimes-closed Shul has audio headsets for use, so that would help. If going alone, you can research the Jewish places at the link HERE
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips: Chabad Site
Public Transport options: Uber works well, as does the subway if you speak Spanish.
Guidebooks:
Other Tips: Jewish Community of Madrid (Orthodox), http://www.cjmadrid.org

Malaga
Links to Trip Reports:
CGR
Kosher Restaurants:
Activities:
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips:
Guidebooks:
Other Tips: Comunidad Israelita de Malaga (Orthodox), http://www.cimalaga.es

Seville
Links to Trip Reports: @Yehuda, Yehoshua, CGR
Kosher Restaurants:
Activities: Jewish Tours in Sevilla/Cordoba, http://www.jewishsevilla.com
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips:
Guidebooks:
Other Tips: Comunidad Judia de Sevilla, synagoguesevilla@gmail.com

Gibraltar
Links to Trip Reports: Yehoshua
Kosher Restaurants: Amar's Bakery and Coffee shop, http://www.amarsbakery.com/
Activities:
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips:
Guidebooks:
Other Tips: Jewish Community of Gibraltar, http://www.jewishgibraltar.com

Mallorca
Links to Trip Reports:
CGR
Kosher Restaurants: Their is not - one restaurant serve felafel it's own by an israeli but no hechsher
Activities:
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips: The Shul its open on Friday night
Guidebooks:
Other Tips:

4500 IB Avios from anywhere to anywhere in the country
Best way to get around anywhere in this country is by scooter. It is safer driving them there since they outnumber cars by great proportions.
« Last edited by cgr on September 04, 2023, 09:01:01 PM »

Author Topic: Spain Master Thread  (Read 269518 times)

Offline Dak613

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Spain And Gibraltar Master Thread
« Reply #260 on: June 10, 2014, 06:00:15 PM »
Yehuda,
I will await your TR
In Barcelona, we are staying at the Hilton, (which is near Chabad) and as long as you stay a minimum of 3 days, theres an unbelievable rate, so I am not using SPG for Meridien hotel- which is too far of a walk to Chabad on Shabbos in any case.
Still concerned about food when we aren't in Barcelona ie Madrid and for our 3 day get-away to Mallorca.
Any idea if there's any prohibition in bringing frozen food into Spain ( freeze dried deli )?
We are also traveling to Mallorca from Barcelona on Air Europa.  We are having difficulty getting information on baggage limitations.
Any info, we would appreciate

Offline SamKey

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: If I'm there I can't be here and if I'm here I can't be there
  • Programs: National EE; Hertz PC; Sixt Plt; Avis First; Hilton Gold; Priority Club Plt; West Bestern DE; Carlson Club GE; Accor PLT
« Reply #261 on: June 11, 2014, 07:26:34 AM »
Yehuda,
I will await your TR
In Barcelona, we are staying at the Hilton, (which is near Chabad) and as long as you stay a minimum of 3 days, theres an unbelievable rate, so I am not using SPG for Meridien hotel- which is too far of a walk to Chabad on Shabbos in any case.
Still concerned about food when we aren't in Barcelona ie Madrid and for our 3 day get-away to Mallorca.
Any idea if there's any prohibition in bringing frozen food into Spain ( freeze dried deli )?
We are also traveling to Mallorca from Barcelona on Air Europa.  We are having difficulty getting information on baggage limitations.
Any info, we would appreciate

What rate and how did you get it? There is Kosher food in BCN and MAD I brought in deli in my carry-on. The main shul in BCN is closer to everything than the Chabad you are better off staying on La Ramblas then near Chabad

Offline Dak613

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 19, 2014, 11:33:33 PM »
Rate at Hilton was about 100 euros a night, as long as you stay a minimum of 3 nights.

What reliable kosher options are there in Madrid?

There is a listed "Kosher Delight" in Mallorca..... Anyone have any information about it?

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 20, 2014, 02:39:33 AM »
What reliable kosher options are there in Madrid?
Chabad of Madrid told me "We only eat at home."

Offline SamKey

• View Profile
  • Programs: National EE; Hertz PC; Sixt Plt; Avis First; Hilton Gold; Priority Club Plt; West Bestern DE; Carlson Club GE; Accor PLT
« Reply #264 on: June 20, 2014, 09:27:48 AM »
Chabad of Madrid told me "We only eat at home."
It's for political reasons not kashrus

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 20, 2014, 09:41:36 AM »
How do you determine that?

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #266 on: June 20, 2014, 09:49:43 AM »
how do you know? thats not what they told me

Offline SamKey

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 20, 2014, 11:31:28 AM »
Who's they? Chabad? The people in Gibraltar told me and I trust them more than some chabad shaliach that has monetary negios

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 20, 2014, 11:43:07 AM »
Who's they? Chabad? The people in Gibraltar told me and I trust them more than some chabad shaliach that has monetary negios
It's not like he has another restaurant that he's trying to push. The Chabad in Barcelona not mentioning Delicias in their list of Kosher restaurants gets me more inquisitive as they have a stake in where you decide to eat.

Offline SamKey

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 21, 2014, 02:51:42 PM »
It's not like he has another restaurant that he's trying to push. The Chabad in Barcelona not mentioning Delicias in their list of Kosher restaurants gets me more inquisitive as they have a stake in where you decide to eat.
Monetary politics don't necessarily mean he has a restaurant, and could be he used to. All I know is the family I ate by in GIB, which is a very chashuve family, told us we can eat there.

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #270 on: June 21, 2014, 06:25:53 PM »
unless its r' hasid, why would you trust a random person in gib? i dont get it...

Offline SamKey

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 22, 2014, 01:39:12 AM »
unless its r' hasid, why would you trust a random person in gib? i dont get it...
:-\ ???
All I know is the family I ate by in GIB, which is a very chashuve family, told us we can eat there.

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 22, 2014, 05:02:14 AM »
are they chashuv because you ate there? anyways do what works for you, but it does sound a bit odd

Offline SamKey

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 22, 2014, 07:10:58 AM »
are they chashuv because you ate there?
I take offense. Chashuv as in THE community leader, chashuv as in every Rosh Yeshiva in the world stays at his house and eats his food. Chashuv as in God fearing and all of his kids and SIL's are bnei torah of the highest degree. I can go on if you wish but I don't think your obnoxious comment deserves it. I didn't want to say it this way (there's no way how people here would take it) but for some reason when traveling everyone seems to rely blindly on chabad. I spoke to some lubavitchers of a prestigious chabad family and they wouldn't step foot into a chabad house unless they 100% certain that his food and wine were kosher.
#nuffsaid

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 22, 2014, 08:32:37 AM »
I take offense. Chashuv as in THE community leader, chashuv as in every Rosh Yeshiva in the world stays at his house and eats his food. Chashuv as in God fearing and all of his kids and SIL's are bnei torah of the highest degree. I can go on if you wish but I don't think your obnoxious comment deserves it. I didn't want to say it this way (there's no way how people here would take it) but for some reason when traveling everyone seems to rely blindly on chabad. I spoke to some lubavitchers of a prestigious chabad family and they wouldn't step foot into a chabad house unless they 100% certain that his food and wine were kosher.
#nuffsaid
so you could have said, "no, they are chashuv because x,y,z" not sure why you are so offended.
then you go on why people rely on chabad etc insinuating that people are maykil whilst travelling. yet in this scenario the opposite is true.

for most level headed people, they would rather trust someone local especially when theyre saying that the local community's kashrus standards are not up to par, which could very well make sense, rather than relying on someone who lives further out (and probably is not in the know on a day to day basis) saying the most overused and generally ridiculous term in kashrus, "it's all politics." I'm sure if you take a step back you could see that.

Clearly you are taking this extremely personal and i apologize if i offended you in any way, that was not my intention.

Offline SamKey

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 22, 2014, 09:07:59 AM »
so you could have said, "no, they are chashuv because x,y,z" not sure why you are so offended.
then you go on why people rely on chabad etc insinuating that people are maykil whilst travelling. yet in this scenario the opposite is true.

for most level headed people, they would rather trust someone local especially when theyre saying that the local community's kashrus standards are not up to par, which could very well make sense, rather than relying on someone who lives further out (and probably is not in the know on a day to day basis) saying the most overused and generally ridiculous term in kashrus, "it's all politics." I'm sure if you take a step back you could see that.

Clearly you are taking this extremely personal and i apologize if i offended you in any way, that was not my intention.
you are naive and have a lot to learn. But just to answer your local thing... The people of GIB are generally there on a monthly basis and these politics have been going on for many years

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 22, 2014, 04:36:48 PM »
Anyone know anything about Coke in Spain and/or a Kosher products list?

Offline ChAiM'l

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 22, 2014, 04:52:33 PM »
Anyone know anything about Coke in Spain and/or a Kosher products list?

According to this list by Chabad of Barcelona, it is kosher.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 22, 2014, 04:55:06 PM »
According to this list by Chabad of Barcelona, it is kosher.
Sweet, thanks for the find!

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 23, 2014, 06:22:45 PM »
BTW I davened today in BETH KENESET BETH YAACOV and I spoke to the Rabbi there. Obviously, no one knows him and no one knows his shul or anything, but sometimes I feel like you just gotta trust that a man who has a community following him (albeit a small one) in some random place, leads a frum minyan and gives over a few divrei torah infront of you isn't lying to you. He told me that La Escudilla (which happens to be 2 minutes from the shul and 2 minutes from my hotel) is under his shul's supervision and is Glatt Kosher. I didn't end up eating there because we had brought sandwiches from Israel and there was no point in wasting money, but I don't know what else to say. I don't know why Chabad doesn't like it, but I met this man and he seems like an honest, knowledgeable man.