Topic Wiki

Barcelona
Links to Trip Reports: @Yehuda, Yehoshua, CGR
Kosher Restaurants: http://www.restaurantmaccabi.com/en/
Activities: Jewish Tours in Barcelona, http://www.urbancultours.com
http://www.barcelonadreaming.com/package/barcelona-jewish-tour/
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips: Stay at Hotel Condado it is about a 3 minute walk from the shul (local community), bear in mind there is no eruv, so you will need to either leave the room open or make some arrangement with the hotel, they do not offer keys (or have that option at all)
Public Transport options:
Guidebooks:
Other Tips: Jewish Community of Barcelona (Orthodox): http://www.cibonline.org; Go to the local shul and meet Rabbi Daniel Ashkenazi he is wonderful and quite helpful.

Madrid
Links to Trip Reports: @Yehuda, @Yehuda pics, Yehoshua, @zalc (Mini)., CGR
Kosher Restaurants: http://www.restaurantelaescudilla.com  https://www.pinatimadrid.com/  https://www.pizzeriarimmon.com/(teuda)
Activities: Toledo - a day trip from Madrid to see 2 old Shuls. Can hire a tour guide, Rabbi Hanoka (info@jewishtoledotour.com), which is not cheap, or can take a train on your own. 1 of the Shuls (El Transito) is closed on Mondays. @Yehuda went on a day when that Shul was closed, and the other Shul was really just an empty room and seemed like a Christian organization now runs the center. Without a tour guide, it was hard to get anything Jewish out of our trip (other than an antique store that had some Judaica). But, people who have taken the tour (discussed in the thread) have said it was great! Recommended to go with a tour or not go at all (and ensure to go on a day when both are open!). Report in the thread that the sometimes-closed Shul has audio headsets for use, so that would help. If going alone, you can research the Jewish places at the link HERE
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips: Chabad Site
Public Transport options: Uber works well, as does the subway if you speak Spanish.
Guidebooks:
Other Tips: Jewish Community of Madrid (Orthodox), http://www.cjmadrid.org

Malaga
Links to Trip Reports:
CGR
Kosher Restaurants:
Activities:
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips:
Guidebooks:
Other Tips: Comunidad Israelita de Malaga (Orthodox), http://www.cimalaga.es

Seville
Links to Trip Reports: @Yehuda, Yehoshua, CGR
Kosher Restaurants:
Activities: Jewish Tours in Sevilla/Cordoba, http://www.jewishsevilla.com
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips:
Guidebooks:
Other Tips: Comunidad Judia de Sevilla, synagoguesevilla@gmail.com

Gibraltar
Links to Trip Reports: Yehoshua
Kosher Restaurants: Amar's Bakery and Coffee shop, http://www.amarsbakery.com/
Activities:
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips:
Guidebooks:
Other Tips: Jewish Community of Gibraltar, http://www.jewishgibraltar.com

Mallorca
Links to Trip Reports:
CGR
Kosher Restaurants: Their is not - one restaurant serve felafel it's own by an israeli but no hechsher
Activities:
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips: The Shul its open on Friday night
Guidebooks:
Other Tips:

4500 IB Avios from anywhere to anywhere in the country
Best way to get around anywhere in this country is by scooter. It is safer driving them there since they outnumber cars by great proportions.
« Last edited by cgr on September 04, 2023, 09:01:01 PM »

Author Topic: Spain Master Thread  (Read 272053 times)

Offline yg99

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Spain Master Thread
« Reply #1100 on: January 25, 2020, 08:01:07 PM »
Flying TLV-MAD-JFK, do I pass through security in Madrid?

I want to buy duty-free in TLV and don't want to take the chance that they won't allow liquids.

Thanks

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: February 16, 2020, 04:38:25 PM »
Stopping over for 2 days in Madrid on my way to the US for Pesach. A few questions:
1. Not clear what kosher restaraunts there are in Madrid (if any). What are they and what are their hechsherim?
2. GoDaven did not return any results for shuls with minyanim - is that accurate? Or is there a shul?
3. Flight our of MAD on Tuesday at 4:20, would want to be at airport at 2:20...Is that enough time for a half day trip to Toledo or Segovia (I will be with kids, so probably couldn't do a full day trip anyways)? How much do the guides for Toledo/Segovia cost? Which do you recommend?
4. Recommendation for a hotel with a pool? Landing Sunday night 8:20 PM and if we take a day trip to Toledo/Segovia on Tuesday - may make sense just to stay near the airport...thoughts?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Ploni3

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: February 16, 2020, 06:59:23 PM »

Offline Menachem613

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: April 28, 2021, 11:26:10 AM »
I have a week in August to spend in Spain. How would you recommend I spend my time? Should I split it evenly between Madrid and BCN?

Offline ual902

• View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: April 28, 2021, 12:48:00 PM »
Cordova, Granada, Toledo, Barcelona, Madrid

Offline Yehoshua

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: April 28, 2021, 09:05:59 PM »
I have a week in August to spend in Spain. How would you recommend I spend my time? Should I split it evenly between Madrid and BCN?
Seville was the nicest place I saw in Spain, though BCN was also quite nive (but humid).

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: July 13, 2021, 09:11:39 PM »
I've been looking at the train schedules for August between Madrid & Toledo. Does it make sense that the Renfe train from Toledo to Madrid has no afternoon availability? As it stands, I would have to take the 8:25PM train. Is it that they are sold out or that the website is wonky?

Offline Deals Fan

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Spg Platinum, Avis Presidents club, Hertz PC Hyatt Platinum, United Silver
« Reply #1107 on: July 15, 2021, 11:03:38 PM »
Can anyone help me in madrid to get a pcr test??

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: July 18, 2021, 05:06:14 PM »
Cordova, Granada, Toledo, Barcelona, Madrid

I have 3 nights in Madrid and 3 nights in Barcelona. How would you rank Cordova, Granada and Toledo? I was considering Toledo for its Jewish heritage but it seems abysmal.

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: July 18, 2021, 06:09:45 PM »
Airbus to placa catalunya no problem. Stayed in acta atrium hotel $100 a night. Small room but incredible service.

Macabbi was OK, it's like a blast in the past so that's nice. Great wine options!! 26 Euro for habib (not Mevushal!!)

Got Andalusian bread which was OK, it's bread with tomato's and I think anchovies?

Meat kebab was nice as were the potato wedges fries.

Grilled salmon was not Good. Who grills salmon skin off?!? Veggies it came with were meh. $90 bill was OK when you count the wine, but if you factor the wine being so cheap blah.

Rambla was nice but lousy tourist trap

On day 2 I took the city tour bus. Very nice. Wanted to do both routes but only got to do one.

Barcelona is stunning by day and by night.

Took the train to marca falsat to elvi wines..time of my life!! Today I visited Capcanes in monsat, incredible.

So rather than macabbi x2 I went to shaq shuq. It's weird because I could have sworn I saw shaq shuq sign on Rambla?!? That was Monday but it's all the way in the other way?!?

So I suppose I should have ordered staple items but I got grilled lamb, pretty good, comes with roasted veggies which are just peppers, misleading I thought. Got baked potato which were baked potato slices, OK but oil galore ugh and house bread was not fresh seemingly challa brought.

Nu Nu I had an incredible time Bh. Off to Israel now!

I assume you visited both wineries from BCN. Did you take the train to Capcanes too? Which winery did you prefer?

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: August 01, 2021, 08:27:09 PM »
Anyone use ADOLFO FERRERO from https://www.toledodelamano.com/en/rutas/ for a Toledo tour? He's pretty cheap relative to others (150EUR) for a Jewish quarter tour.

Offline gsquared

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: October 25, 2021, 10:24:57 AM »
a quick TR
BCN, Granada and Madrid
In BCN we visited the Jewish/Gothic quarter with a jewish guide Yan Pekar +34 635 29 66 00 - great guide and excellent photographer.
Prebooked at Sagrada including tour.  Ate at Macabbi restaurant twice, Ben Ben and the falafel place. Ben Ben is primarily a grocery store with cold cuts, cheese bread etc. 
We spent shabbat with Chabad. Nice facility and they had a very nice kiddush. We ordered our shabbat meals from Taim Catering +34 647 34 48 80.  Did a private tour with a guide from Withlocals.
Granada - prebooked the Alhambra and went with a private guide. No kosher food. Alhambra beer is very good.   Lots of pig in Spain including the chocolate.
Madrid - took the train from Granada to Madrid.  Ate at the Rimmon pizza near our hotel. There is a bakery nearby that has very good bread that is kosher. Also a shul and a fleishig restaurent. Also at Barganzo falafel which closer to the main central area. Did not prebook for the Prado or hire a guide - mistake on both. Did a free walking tour with Guruwalk which was actually pretty good.  tour.  Did a private walking tour and went to a Flamenco show too. Did the Abbot rapid home test and it actually worked but was a bit of a hassle. 
My sense is that Spain is not a good place to visit in the summer - very hot and very crowded with lots of places closed.

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: October 25, 2021, 10:30:38 AM »
a quick TR
BCN, Granada and Madrid
In BCN we visited the Jewish/Gothic quarter with a jewish guide Yan Pekar +34 635 29 66 00 - great guide and excellent photographer.
Prebooked at Sagrada including tour.  Ate at Macabbi restaurant twice, Ben Ben and the falafel place. Ben Ben is primarily a grocery store with cold cuts, cheese bread etc. 
We spent shabbat with Chabad. Nice facility and they had a very nice kiddush. We ordered our shabbat meals from Taim Catering +34 647 34 48 80.  Did a private tour with a guide from Withlocals.
Granada - prebooked the Alhambra and went with a private guide. No kosher food. Alhambra beer is very good.   Lots of pig in Spain including the chocolate.
Madrid - took the train from Granada to Madrid.  Ate at the Rimmon pizza near our hotel. There is a bakery nearby that has very good bread that is kosher. Also a shul and a fleishig restaurent. Also at Barganzo falafel which closer to the main central area. Did not prebook for the Prado or hire a guide - mistake on both. Did a free walking tour with Guruwalk which was actually pretty good.  tour.  Did a private walking tour and went to a Flamenco show too. Did the Abbot rapid home test and it actually worked but was a bit of a hassle. 
My sense is that Spain is not a good place to visit in the summer - very hot and very crowded with lots of places closed.

Which month did you go? I went in August and Chabad said to me that aren't accepting guests due to COVID.

Offline gsquared

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: October 25, 2021, 11:50:17 AM »
yes - no guests for meals.

Online sam28

• View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: December 28, 2021, 04:53:22 PM »
Anyone been to Melilla Spain any info would help ?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 05:14:29 PM by sam28 »

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #1115 on: February 22, 2022, 01:22:01 PM »
Anyone have a favorite place for shabbos? Madrid, Barcelona? Toldeo?

Somewhere that you can walk around and explore preferably.

See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Ploni3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: February 22, 2022, 03:53:46 PM »
Check out Marbella

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #1117 on: March 13, 2022, 06:47:52 PM »
Has anyone done a tour Toledo with anyone they recommend besides Shlomo Hanoka? He's not available for the dates needed.

Offline jonesy

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: March 13, 2022, 08:58:24 PM »
https://jewishsegovia.com/about-us/

Asher Bentolila does Toledo tours. Used him in Segovia

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: March 13, 2022, 09:04:00 PM »
https://jewishsegovia.com/about-us/

Asher Bentolila does Toledo tours. Used him in Segovia
Have his whatsapp number by chance?

Was he good?

It's a shame because Shlomo Hanoka seems to really know his stuff, and the area.