Topic Wiki

Barcelona
Links to Trip Reports: @Yehuda, Yehoshua
Kosher Restaurants: http://www.restaurantmacabi.com, https://shaqshuq.com/, https://www.ilansburgerbar.com/ (Under R' Daniel Ashkenazi of Communidad Israelita de Barcelona)
Activities: Jewish Tours in Barcelona, http://www.urbancultours.com
http://www.barcelonadreaming.com/package/barcelona-jewish-tour/
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips:
Public Transport options:
Guidebooks:
Other Tips: Jewish Community of Barcelona (Orthodox): http://www.cibonline.org

Madrid
Links to Trip Reports: @Yehuda, @Yehuda pics, Yehoshua
Kosher Restaurants: http://www.restaurantelaescudilla.com  https://www.pinatimadrid.com/  https://www.pizzeriarimmon.com/(teuda)
Activities: Toledo - a day trip from Madrid to see 2 old Shuls. Can hire a tour guide (his contact info is somewhere in the thread), which is not cheap, or can take a train on your own. 1 of the Shuls (El Transito) is closed on Mondays. @Yehuda went on a day when that Shul was closed, and the other Shul was really just an empty room and seemed like a Christian organization now runs the center. Without a tour guide, it was hard to get anything Jewish out of our trip (other than an antique store that had some Judaica). But, people who have taken the tour (discussed in the thread) have said it was great! Recommended to go with a tour or not go at all (and ensure to go on a day when both are open!). Report in the thread that the sometimes-closed Shul has audio headsets for use, so that would help.
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips:
Guidebooks:
Other Tips: Jewish Community of Madrid (Orthodox), http://www.cjmadrid.org

Malaga
Links to Trip Reports:
Kosher Restaurants:
Activities:
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips:
Guidebooks:
Other Tips: Comunidad Israelita de Malaga (Orthodox), http://www.cimalaga.es

Seville
Links to Trip Reports: @Yehuda, Yehoshua
Kosher Restaurants:
Activities: Jewish Tours in Sevilla/Cordoba, http://www.jewishsevilla.com
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips:
Guidebooks:
Other Tips: Comunidad Judia de Sevilla, synagoguesevilla@gmail.com

Gibraltar
Links to Trip Reports: Yehoshua
Kosher Restaurants: Amar's Bakery and Coffee shop, http://www.amarsbakery.com/
Activities:
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips:
Guidebooks:
Other Tips: Jewish Community of Gibraltar, http://www.jewishgibraltar.com

Mallorca
Links to Trip Reports:
Kosher Restaurants: Their is not - one restaurant serve felafel it's own by an israeli but no hechsher
Activities:
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips: The Shul its open on Friday night
Guidebooks:
Other Tips:

4500 IB Avios from anywhere to anywhere in the country
Best way to get around anywhere in this country is by scooter. It is safer driving them there since they outnumber cars by great proportions.
« Last edited by jbla on December 03, 2019, 10:20:33 PM »

Author Topic: Spain Master Thread  (Read 132967 times)

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Spain Master Thread
« Reply #315 on: November 04, 2014, 08:29:57 AM »
Can never compare touring an old Jewish area with a tour and without a tour guide, especially when there is not much physically remaining
Like going to majdenik and not knowing the story of the Holocaust
Although, it was the most expensive Jewish tour I found in Europe.

Offline moish

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #316 on: November 04, 2014, 09:30:52 AM »
1 Shul is just a big open room w/ no sign of ever once being a Shul.
theres a magen dovid

I think it's one thing to see the Great Synagogue of Rome when you're eating a restaurant a block away, and another thing to spend 1/2 a day to go see a Shul and pay for train tickets, taxis within Toledo and the Shul entrance fees (albeit small).
how can you compare a shul built 100 years ago to one that the rishonim likely davened in?

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 04, 2014, 10:06:54 AM »
theres a magen dovid
how can you compare a shul built 100 years ago to one that the rishonim likely davened in?
I didn't see the Magen David, although Ergel is right that with a tour I probably would have had it pointed out to me. (Not that I was doubting it was a Shul.)
I didn't feel the inspiration based on the assumption your saying. I dunno, it just wasn't worth the schlep for me. Maybe next time I'll do a whole Spain Jewish trip (like an older couple was doing that I met while there) and we'll be rich and hire a guide for the whole of Spain and get a lot more out of it. I'm not sure it's so worth doing alone (although IIRC you did and liked it).

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 04, 2014, 10:44:54 AM »
I didn't see the Magen David,
here it is. sorry for the quality, after all, it was an undercover shot. i knew about it not because i went on a tour, but rather because i prepared before i went. it gave me the proper context

Online Yehoshua

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 04, 2014, 10:59:45 AM »
i dont know of anyone besides for @Yehuda that thinks its a good idea to skip toledo
Ok. Would you recommend going if I didn't want to shell out big bucks for a Jewish tour? Assume both shuls would be open. Also keep in mind that I'm only planning one day in MAD. If I go to Toledo that would be instead of MAD.
im not sure where you got that info from, but i did not find that to be the case even when driving stick
It looks like it's mainly flat around the Jewish community and more hilly closer to the rock. From the little Google Street View there is it looks like the side streets are incredibly narrow with very limited parking. That being said, it doesn't seem like there's another option besides driving. Is there?

Online Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 04, 2014, 11:05:44 AM »
Although, it was the most expensive Jewish tour I found in Europe.
That's one of the main reasons I would skip Toledo in the first place. I spent the money to do a Jewish tour in Rome which was nice, but it only cost 50. Even then I think using Rock Steves would have been nearly as good and a lot cheaper. I can't justify spending all my time in MAD to travel to Toledo and then spend a lot more money on a tour.
theres a magen dovid
Obviously it's different, but along with being more special it's also a lot more deteriorated and a therefore a lot less to see. I think I'd be content with knowing that Rishonim lived and walked in that very area without spending time to see a super old (not real pretty) building.

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 04, 2014, 11:10:02 AM »
Ok. Would you recommend going if I didn't want to shell out big bucks for a Jewish tour? Assume both shuls would be open. Also keep in mind that I'm only planning one day in MAD. If I go to Toledo that would be instead of MAD.
i would, but i guess it depends on what you like. if youre into/appreciate jewish history its a no brainer. the shul that @Yehuda missed is remarkable

there aint too much in madrid

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 04, 2014, 11:12:53 AM »
i would, but i guess it depends on what you like. if youre into/appreciate jewish history its a no brainer. the shul that @Yehuda missed is remarkable
+1 One of the coolest parts of Rome for me was seeing an original sefer haikarim. Most people probably couldn't care less. Everyone is different
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Online Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 04, 2014, 11:15:43 AM »

there aint too much in madrid
I do like Jewish History, but as it is I think I'm going to be rushing a bit in Spain trying to see MAD, BCN, & SVQ each for 1 day and then driving to GIB for shabbos. Toledo might just have to wait for another trip to Spain, when I'll spend more time in other smaller cities as well.

Online Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 04, 2014, 11:19:22 AM »
+1 One of the coolest parts of Rome for me was seeing an original sefer haikarim. Most people probably couldn't care less. Everyone is different
True. Maybe I'm weird, but even on the Jewish tour in Rome I didn't feel special just because Jews had been there for 1000s of years. Seeing the Jewish museum was nice, but something I'd've done anyways. Don't get me wrong, I loved the tour, but I just don't think I'd pay for it again knowing what's on it.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 04, 2014, 11:25:11 AM »
True. Maybe I'm weird, but even on the Jewish tour in Rome I didn't feel special just because Jews had been there for 1000s of years. Seeing the Jewish museum was nice, but something I'd've done anyways. Don't get me wrong, I loved the tour, but I just don't think I'd pay for it again knowing what's on it.
And likely that's because you didn't use Rome For Jews as anyone I've known who has taken it it was the highlight of their trip
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 04, 2014, 11:36:50 AM »
And likely that's because you didn't use Rome For Jews as anyone I've known who has taken it it was the highlight of their trip
i would have to agree with that

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 04, 2014, 11:39:56 AM »
I do like Jewish History, but as it is I think I'm going to be rushing a bit in Spain trying to see MAD, BCN, & SVQ each for 1 day and then driving to GIB for shabbos. Toledo might just have to wait for another trip to Spain, when I'll spend more time in other smaller cities as well.
there really isnt anything to see in madrd. maybe plaza major, the palace, but theyre not unique. a bullfight you can still catch after toledo and as a nightcap you can take in a flamenco performance if thats your thing. my 2 cents.

Online Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 04, 2014, 11:45:04 AM »
Maybe, but as you said, everyone's different. I'm not so into history. I don't regret for a moment not taking them.

Online Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 04, 2014, 11:46:36 AM »
there really isnt anything to see in madrd. maybe plaza major, the palace, but theyre not unique. a bullfight you can still catch after toledo and as a nightcap you can take in a flamenco performance if thats your thing. my 2 cents.
So you'd vote for getting up early, taking a train to Toledo, doing the tour, going back to Madrid and flying out that night? Seems like kinda rushed/no chance to see flamenco performances at nigh, no?