Topic Wiki

Barcelona
Links to Trip Reports: @Yehuda, Yehoshua, CGR
Kosher Restaurants: http://www.restaurantmaccabi.com/en/
Activities: Jewish Tours in Barcelona, http://www.urbancultours.com
http://www.barcelonadreaming.com/package/barcelona-jewish-tour/
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips: Stay at Hotel Condado it is about a 3 minute walk from the shul (local community), bear in mind there is no eruv, so you will need to either leave the room open or make some arrangement with the hotel, they do not offer keys (or have that option at all)
Public Transport options:
Guidebooks:
Other Tips: Jewish Community of Barcelona (Orthodox): http://www.cibonline.org; Go to the local shul and meet Rabbi Daniel Ashkenazi he is wonderful and quite helpful.

Madrid
Links to Trip Reports: @Yehuda, @Yehuda pics, Yehoshua, @zalc (Mini)., CGR
Kosher Restaurants: http://www.restaurantelaescudilla.com  https://www.pinatimadrid.com/  https://www.pizzeriarimmon.com/(teuda)
Activities: Toledo - a day trip from Madrid to see 2 old Shuls. Can hire a tour guide, Rabbi Hanoka (info@jewishtoledotour.com), which is not cheap, or can take a train on your own. 1 of the Shuls (El Transito) is closed on Mondays. @Yehuda went on a day when that Shul was closed, and the other Shul was really just an empty room and seemed like a Christian organization now runs the center. Without a tour guide, it was hard to get anything Jewish out of our trip (other than an antique store that had some Judaica). But, people who have taken the tour (discussed in the thread) have said it was great! Recommended to go with a tour or not go at all (and ensure to go on a day when both are open!). Report in the thread that the sometimes-closed Shul has audio headsets for use, so that would help. If going alone, you can research the Jewish places at the link HERE
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips: Chabad Site
Public Transport options: Uber works well, as does the subway if you speak Spanish.
Guidebooks:
Other Tips: Jewish Community of Madrid (Orthodox), http://www.cjmadrid.org

Malaga
Links to Trip Reports:
CGR
Kosher Restaurants:
Activities:
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips:
Guidebooks:
Other Tips: Comunidad Israelita de Malaga (Orthodox), http://www.cimalaga.es

Seville
Links to Trip Reports: @Yehuda, Yehoshua, CGR
Kosher Restaurants:
Activities: Jewish Tours in Sevilla/Cordoba, http://www.jewishsevilla.com
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips:
Guidebooks:
Other Tips: Comunidad Judia de Sevilla, synagoguesevilla@gmail.com

Gibraltar
Links to Trip Reports: Yehoshua
Kosher Restaurants: Amar's Bakery and Coffee shop, http://www.amarsbakery.com/
Activities:
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips:
Guidebooks:
Other Tips: Jewish Community of Gibraltar, http://www.jewishgibraltar.com

Mallorca
Links to Trip Reports:
CGR
Kosher Restaurants: Their is not - one restaurant serve felafel it's own by an israeli but no hechsher
Activities:
Hotels:
Shabbos Tips: The Shul its open on Friday night
Guidebooks:
Other Tips:

4500 IB Avios from anywhere to anywhere in the country
Best way to get around anywhere in this country is by scooter. It is safer driving them there since they outnumber cars by great proportions.
« Last edited by cgr on September 04, 2023, 09:01:01 PM »

Author Topic: Spain Master Thread  (Read 277727 times)

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Spain Master Thread
« Reply #320 on: November 04, 2014, 11:05:44 AM »
Although, it was the most expensive Jewish tour I found in Europe.
That's one of the main reasons I would skip Toledo in the first place. I spent the money to do a Jewish tour in Rome which was nice, but it only cost 50€. Even then I think using Rock Steves would have been nearly as good and a lot cheaper. I can't justify spending all my time in MAD to travel to Toledo and then spend a lot more money on a tour.
theres a magen dovid
how can you compare a shul built 100 years ago to one that the rishonim likely davened in?
Obviously it's different, but along with being more special it's also a lot more deteriorated and a therefore a lot less to see. I think I'd be content with knowing that Rishonim lived and walked in that very area without spending time to see a super old (not real pretty) building.

Offline moish

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #321 on: November 04, 2014, 11:10:02 AM »
Ok. Would you recommend going if I didn't want to shell out big bucks for a Jewish tour? Assume both shuls would be open. Also keep in mind that I'm only planning one day in MAD. If I go to Toledo that would be instead of MAD.
i would, but i guess it depends on what you like. if youre into/appreciate jewish history its a no brainer. the shul that @Yehuda missed is remarkable

there aint too much in madrid

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 04, 2014, 11:12:53 AM »
i would, but i guess it depends on what you like. if youre into/appreciate jewish history its a no brainer. the shul that @Yehuda missed is remarkable
+1 One of the coolest parts of Rome for me was seeing an original sefer haikarim. Most people probably couldn't care less. Everyone is different
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 04, 2014, 11:15:43 AM »

there aint too much in madrid
I do like Jewish History, but as it is I think I'm going to be rushing a bit in Spain trying to see MAD, BCN, & SVQ each for 1 day and then driving to GIB for shabbos. Toledo might just have to wait for another trip to Spain, when I'll spend more time in other smaller cities as well.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 04, 2014, 11:19:22 AM »
+1 One of the coolest parts of Rome for me was seeing an original sefer haikarim. Most people probably couldn't care less. Everyone is different
True. Maybe I'm weird, but even on the Jewish tour in Rome I didn't feel special just because Jews had been there for 1000s of years. Seeing the Jewish museum was nice, but something I'd've done anyways. Don't get me wrong, I loved the tour, but I just don't think I'd pay for it again knowing what's on it.

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 04, 2014, 11:25:11 AM »
True. Maybe I'm weird, but even on the Jewish tour in Rome I didn't feel special just because Jews had been there for 1000s of years. Seeing the Jewish museum was nice, but something I'd've done anyways. Don't get me wrong, I loved the tour, but I just don't think I'd pay for it again knowing what's on it.
And likely that's because you didn't use Rome For Jews as anyone I've known who has taken it it was the highlight of their trip
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 04, 2014, 11:36:50 AM »
And likely that's because you didn't use Rome For Jews as anyone I've known who has taken it it was the highlight of their trip
i would have to agree with that

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 04, 2014, 11:39:56 AM »
I do like Jewish History, but as it is I think I'm going to be rushing a bit in Spain trying to see MAD, BCN, & SVQ each for 1 day and then driving to GIB for shabbos. Toledo might just have to wait for another trip to Spain, when I'll spend more time in other smaller cities as well.
there really isnt anything to see in madrd. maybe plaza major, the palace, but theyre not unique. a bullfight you can still catch after toledo and as a nightcap you can take in a flamenco performance if thats your thing. my 2 cents.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 04, 2014, 11:45:04 AM »
Maybe, but as you said, everyone's different. I'm not so into history. I don't regret for a moment not taking them.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 04, 2014, 11:46:36 AM »
there really isnt anything to see in madrd. maybe plaza major, the palace, but theyre not unique. a bullfight you can still catch after toledo and as a nightcap you can take in a flamenco performance if thats your thing. my 2 cents.
So you'd vote for getting up early, taking a train to Toledo, doing the tour, going back to Madrid and flying out that night? Seems like kinda rushed/no chance to see flamenco performances at nigh, no?

Offline rediplus

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: November 04, 2014, 12:30:54 PM »
i'm going next week.
my itinerary looks like this
Nov 11- landing at BCN at 3pm and trying to see the park and sculptures before dark and La Rambla
Nov 12- taking first possible train to Gerona and Taxi to besalu. hopefully get back in time for 9pm flight to SVQ
Nov 13- Train to Cordoba for the day and back
Nov 14- 9am tour with guide 160 Euros around seville. drive to GIB for shabbos
Nov 15 - shabbos in GIB. havent decided whether to email the community for hospitality for meals or eat in the hotel.
Nov 16- Sunday in GIB. Rock, dolphins, etc..
Nov 17- drive up the coast to Malaga and Granada. try to see AL Hambra. 5pm Flight out to Mad and home.
So trying to do everything myself except for the one tour in Seville. Barcelona & Gerona tours are a fortune, minimum quote i found was 350 euros. from the homework i've tried to do there doesnt seem to be anything in Barcelona to "see" other than what someone says used to be a shul or a mikva. gerona and besalu are supposedly smaller and easier to "see". Toledo will have to be left for another time.

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 04, 2014, 12:48:16 PM »
is your itinerary set in stone?

Offline SamKey

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: If I'm there I can't be here and if I'm here I can't be there
  • Programs: National EE; Hertz PC; Sixt Plt; Avis First; Hilton Gold; Priority Club Plt; West Bestern DE; Carlson Club GE; Accor PLT
« Reply #332 on: November 04, 2014, 01:02:33 PM »
ONE DAY IS NOT ENOUGH IN BCN!!!!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 01:07:16 PM by SamKey »

Offline Yaalili

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 04, 2014, 01:07:34 PM »
i'm going next week.
my itinerary looks like this
Nov 11- landing at BCN at 3pm and trying to see the park and sculptures before dark and La Rambla
Nov 12- taking first possible train to Gerona and Taxi to besalu. hopefully get back in time for 9pm flight to SVQ
Nov 13- Train to Cordoba for the day and back
Nov 14- 9am tour with guide 160 Euros around seville. drive to GIB for shabbos
Nov 15 - shabbos in GIB. havent decided whether to email the community for hospitality for meals or eat in the hotel.
Nov 16- Sunday in GIB. Rock, dolphins, etc..
Nov 17- drive up the coast to Malaga and Granada. try to see AL Hambra. 5pm Flight out to Mad and home.
So trying to do everything myself except for the one tour in Seville. Barcelona & Gerona tours are a fortune, minimum quote i found was 350 euros. from the homework i've tried to do there doesnt seem to be anything in Barcelona to "see" other than what someone says used to be a shul or a mikva. gerona and besalu are supposedly smaller and easier to "see". Toledo will have to be left for another time.

Have fun, does this count as your trip report? ;)

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 04, 2014, 01:16:36 PM »
Eh, RFJ sounded very similar to how JR actually was. Everyone loves debating it, but both companies have guides that were born in Rome and are professional tour guides. I'm sure it's almost the same tour.
The highlight of my trip was BA"Ghetto Milly and I know I'm not alone in that. :)

The Palace was very nice. Retiro Park was great. I think there is what to do in MAD alone and I didn't even get to a "unique" bullfight/show.

So you'd vote for getting up early, taking a train to Toledo, doing the tour, going back to Madrid and flying out that night? Seems like kinda rushed/no chance to see flamenco performances at nigh, no?
Toledo isn't a crazy long travel, which means you could do the trip and still have time at night. You said "tour", does that mean you'd take the Solomon guy?

Offline rediplus

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 04, 2014, 01:28:15 PM »
No. This is not a trip report. Got some pretty big shoes to fill before I can write one of those.

Offline rediplus

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 04, 2014, 01:30:37 PM »
is your itinerary set in stone?
For the most part. every thing is booked. Not much wiggle room.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 04, 2014, 01:37:26 PM »
Toledo isn't a crazy long travel, which means you could do the trip and still have time at night. You said "tour", does that mean you'd take the Solomon guy?
I know, it's only about 30 minutes (GMaps). The problem is that our tentative itinerary has us arriving in MAD Mon night and leaving Tue night, so if we went to Toledo Tue morning for just 2 hours we might be able to squeeze in some sights in MAD before having to leave to BCN.

I really didn't want to spend crazy money for the Solomon guy, which might defeat the whole purpose of going, no?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 04, 2014, 01:37:49 PM »
ONE DAY IS NOT ENOUGH IN BCN!!!!
How long would you recommend? 1.5 days? 2 days? Longer?

Offline SamKey

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: If I'm there I can't be here and if I'm here I can't be there
  • Programs: National EE; Hertz PC; Sixt Plt; Avis First; Hilton Gold; Priority Club Plt; West Bestern DE; Carlson Club GE; Accor PLT
« Reply #339 on: November 04, 2014, 01:40:11 PM »
How long would you recommend? 1.5 days? 2 days? Longer?
At least 2 days I love the city also just FYI Spain is known for it's gorgeous beaches if you can spare a night chill in Marbella,