Author Topic: {Tznius Disclaimer} St. Lucia Marriage Proposal  (Read 6754 times)

Offline astrophy

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
{Tznius Disclaimer} St. Lucia Marriage Proposal
« on: November 18, 2017, 05:44:11 PM »
www.youtube.com/watch?v=63ARdRDRPbg

Last year we took advantage of the amazing JetBlue promotion where they'd match your Virgin America point balance. We took a cheap flight from Long Beach to SFO and obtained 75k points each.

St Lucia (Christmas 2016)
Flight: JetBlue
Route: SAN-JFK-UVF

I booked an apartment through Airbnb just above the town of Soufrière. It was newly built and owned by a tour guide operator. I believe it was around $110-125, which is double the typical price due to the holiday. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/14671676?location=Soufriere%2C%20Saint%20Lucia&tier_override=0&s=YIxWJ34a

After unpacking our bags in Soufrière we headed down to the beach for the sunset. I spent a looooong time finding the perfect spot to propose. Searching through Google maps I was able to find a secluded spot with a great view. I typically make vacation videos so placing the cameras around to catch the proposal didn't give anything away  :)

Some highlights over the next five nights:

Lunch at Jade Mountain Resort. The place was completely empty! A lot of people will come for dinner, but we found that lunch was less than half the cost. It seems if you come right before dinner the place is typically empty, which was an amazing experience. You'll need to book in advance, but I get the impression that once you've come they have no problem allowing you back if you just want to use the bar.

The waiter asked me discreetly if we were on our honeymoon, and I mentioned that I had just proposed the night before. He pat me on the back and said, "Then I will make sure this is a very special lunch for you both!".  After finishing lunch he prepared a special desert for us both as if I had planned it all in advance! They also gave us each a free drink (they gave me a very nice cognac).

The meal after a generous tip came out to $113. The waiters are very well trained and ask if they can do a photo-shoot with your camera so that you can remember your visit. I have to say that I wasn't sure how they would treat non-guests but it was an amazing experience. The only awkward thing is that we went to take the photo below and peered over the ledge to see the property below and noticed two people naked on their balcony. So while the guests rooms are amazing, I'm not sure they are as private as they may seem!

Sugar Beach (Jalousie Beach) on Christmas. I would say it is worth spending two to three hours here. We had our Airbnb owner book us a drop off here and a pick up from Anse Chastanet Beach. I believe we took a golf cart down with the hotel. Usually they ask that you purchase a meal or what not, but they did not mention that to us. The beach is divided in two with about 20% being the "public side". The hotel wants you to pay for a day pass to use the day beds and umbrella. I think this was $50 per person. We tried to put our towel down on the non-public side, but a hotel employee tried to request us to leave (which you don't have to). Eventually we found that they are so persistent that it wasn't worth the trouble and moved our stuff under the shade of some trees. We brought a insulated bag full of local beers and snacks and had a great time otherwise.

We then negotiated a price for a water taxi that already had a tour group. I think it was ~$5-7 a person for the both of us. This avoids the need to have an expensive meal at the hotel in order to get the golf cart ride back up the hill where your taxi can pick you up from.

Anse Chastanet Beach

If you have snorkeling gear to bring.. then I'd bring it here. I'm not sure if it is worth renting gear as the amount you can see snorkeling in my opinion is rather limited, but it's the best beach for it in the area. We had a nice meal right next to the beach that wasn't expensive.

We made a quick stop in the downtown before having the driver take us home:

Horseback riding on the beach. This was on the other side of the island. It is a bit more expensive to do horseback riding here, but the views are incredible. I believe the helmets are optional, going back I'd probably opt not to use them. We thought going near the time of the sunset would be the best time as the air temp is cooler. While it was a more comfortable temp, the photos in the morning might have been a bit more spectacular. The only downside is that I think the horses are a bit tired late in the day. I'd advice early morning if possible.  http://www.atlanticridingstables.com/

Soufrière city tour:

Active "drive through" volcano

Botanical Garden
Local BBQ

Banana Plantation

Volcanic Mud Baths

I thought this was a tourist trap. It was packed and hot. I'd go for the sake of going, but try to research when this place is slow because it is busy with holidays and when cruise ships are docked. There is a fun waterfall near by for you to rise off at.

Lunch at Mango Tree
A little more expensive, but great views, decent food, and a fun place to have a few drinks. You can ask ahead of time if you can swim in their pool.

On the way up to the airport to depart for Barbados we took a photo stop at Marigot Bay.

If we had more days we would have rented a car and explored some of the local towns as we didn't get much time in them otherwise.

Overall we really enjoyed Saint Lucia. Would we go back? Probably not. While you can go up north and see pigeon island, we felt staying in Soufrière was the way to go. The landscape of the island is amazing, but the beaches aren't worth the hassle. You end up spending a good chunk of money to get transportation to the beach, have limited food options, and Sugar Beach has a very large hill to climb if you don't buy a meal there. Airbnb provides a great alternatives to the resorts. I found very mixed reviews on anything that wasn't a high-end hotel. There are some great local BBQ places, but the food options are rather lacking unless you are up to paying for expensive meals at hotels and resorts. The cost of renting a car is a bit high and the taxis aren't that cheap. I'd opt for a few transfers and one or two days with a tour guide.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 09:23:58 AM by jj1000 »

Offline stbaum

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: St. Lucia Marriage Proposal
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 06:25:40 PM »
Mazel Tov! :) loved the video! Very cute
My greatest achievement? I am fluent in FRIENDS quotes

Offline ludmila

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 08:35:46 PM »
Mazal Tov, nice video.
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 08:56:05 PM »
Congratulations! Best wishes for a long happy life together.

Great photos. Nice review.

My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline astrophy

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
Re: {Tznius Disclaimer} St. Lucia Marriage Proposal
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 09:42:52 PM »
I apologize in advance if some of the photos made anyone feel uncomfortable. There is a disclaimer now and in the future I'll know to be more selective with my images so the reports are more friendly to all users of the board.

Thanks for all the positive comments!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 10:07:37 PM »
Congrats! Lots of happiness and travel!

You've got quite the skills behind the camera and computer, color me jealous...

As far as the mud baths, gotta do that in Palau on your honeymoon with a smaller crowd around :)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ual902

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 01:54:55 AM »
Congrats very nice trip report thanks for sharing

Offline mgoldhammer18

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: American Airlines, Citi thank you, British Avios, Hilton, SPG, AMEX Platinum, Jetblue
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 03:00:14 PM »
Congrats. St. Lucia is on my list, DW and I are suckers for the Caribbean

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 11:21:44 PM »
Great video and pictures. Did you two get married?
I got a chuckle out of your comment peering below. Reminds me of our honeymoon in Las Brisas Acapulco.  :-X

I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline davidmal

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 239
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 12:03:39 PM »
Congrats!

very skilled editing

what did you edit with?
and what did you shoot with?

-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"

Offline davidmal

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 239
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 12:07:07 PM »
The only awkward thing is that we went to take the photo below and peered over the ledge to see the property below and noticed two people naked on their balcony. So while the guests rooms are amazing, I'm not sure they are as private as they may seem!
Ha
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"