Author Topic: Scotland Master Thread  (Read 6434 times)

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Scotland Master Thread
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2017, 08:25:44 AM »
Was a long time ago (2011, I believe).
Spent 3 days in Paris. 1 day in Zurich. Friday/shabbos in London. Motzei"sh drove to Manchester. Sunday was in lake district. Sunday night drove to right outside the isle of Skye. Monday took the ferry over and toured isle of Skye. Drove to Highlands. Tuesday/Wednesday in the Highlands doing outdoor activities (gorge walking http://www.g2outdoor.co.uk/summer-activities/gorge-walking one of the coldest and most fun things I've ever done).
Wednesday night/Thursday in Edinburgh. Toured Edinburgh and went to the military tattoo (if you can go during the Fringe, I really recommend it).
Flew back through London on VS upper class.
My first DDF trip. Was really awesome. If I get a chance I'll try and fill in some of the details
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2017, 08:29:55 AM »
Not sure yet, want to learn what there is to do. Smart - I didn't think of the library. Mostly just want to hear people talk with the accent.  :P Will we be privileged to get a TR?
And, no, you don't see tons of man walking around in kilts (that's why I went). Although in the hotel we stayed at in Edinburgh (http://www.sheratonedinburgh.co.uk), the male workers wore kilts

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2017, 11:40:56 AM »
Thanks for the quick write up! Will get some books and keep all this in mind. How much time would you need to see all the highlights? Can if be done in 1 full week or should I save things for another trip?

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2017, 09:04:44 PM »
I didn't see everything. Definitely more than a week's worth of you include the entire country. But you could definitely do something similar to what I did. Isle of Skye, Highlands and Edinburgh in a week
Just a point: I don't see how you could do this without renting a car, and remember, they drive on the wrong side of the road

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2017, 09:52:09 PM »
I didn't see everything. Definitely more than a week's worth of you include the entire country. But you could definitely do something similar to what I did. Isle of Skye, Highlands and Edinburgh in a week
Just a point: I don't see how you could do this without renting a car, and remember, they drive on the wrong side of the road
Ok got it. Would combine with Ireland, but I guess even 2 weeks won't be enough for both. Will have to save for another time. Thanks for the heads up on the driving.

Online Yehoshua

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2018, 05:26:30 PM »
Personally I'm planning a trip to Scotland (and Ireland) for the summer with 2 small kids (2 and 10 months). I didn't want to do too much driving, as kids won't be able to sit in the car for that long. I found the trains between the big cities (Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Inverness and Glasgow) to be cheap and plentiful. I hope to fly into EDI on a Wednesday night, spend through shabbos there (I heard from friends who went last summer that there's a really nice chabad with meals, maybe a minyan), then take the train to Aberdeen, to Inverness back to Glasgow before flying out.

Of course I don't have anything planned besides that, and even that's not set in stone, because I don't want to spend a lot of time in cities, especially ones like Inverness which I've heard are nothing to see. I was partial to going to Aberdeen as the east coast is supposedly sunnier and less rainy than other parts of the country and possibly skipping Inverness altogether.

The other thing we wanted to do (but don't know how it'll work with 2 kids) is the train ride over the viaduct from the Harry Potter movies. It's kinda out there o nthe west coast near Glenfinnan. They have a train that goes over that viaduct, but they're all sold out for when we'll be there.

Finally we plan to spend the last night and part of the last day in Glasgow before heading to Dublin.

Anyone (@Ergel) have any thoughts of this plan?

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2018, 05:32:00 PM »
Not sure what you plan on doing with 2 kids under 2. Edinburgh, you can walk around and stuff, but outside of that, everything is outdoorsy hiking, etc.

Online Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2018, 05:57:21 PM »
Not sure what you plan on doing with 2 kids under 2. Edinburgh, you can walk around and stuff, but outside of that, everything is outdoorsy hiking, etc.
And that's exactly where I run into trouble. *sigh* That's also why I figured taking trains all around would allow us to see the countryside without having to worry about "doing" much.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2018, 06:11:45 AM »
And that's exactly where I run into trouble. *sigh* That's also why I figured taking trains all around would allow us to see the countryside without having to worry about "doing" much.
I don't see how that would be enjoyable. I'd go to LHR instead...

Online Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2018, 09:05:30 AM »
We've been to LHR. We did really want to see Scotland as well, I'm just not sure how much of the highlands we'll be able to see. The cities shouldn't be a problem, though with one or two excursions out it could be fun.
I don't see how that would be enjoyable. I'd go to LHR instead...

Offline G11600

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2018, 01:50:52 PM »
I was in Scotland for few days last week. Some quick notes;

Flew on BA TLV-LHR-EDI/INV-LHR-TLV. Note that there is no ADP on flights starting from Inverness, so this saves quite a bit over the reverse itinerary. I booked on a 50% off Avios sale few months ago so it cost me total 10K Avios + approx $250 per person for all legs. TLV-LHR-TLV in economy, LHR-EDI/INV-LHR in business as domestic redemptions are free (even in business class it seems!). Flights all great except that return LHR-TLV was delayed by 3 hours - on the plus side we should get 300 Euro per person EU 261 compensation + 10K Avios compensation for missing Kosher Meal LHR-TLV (we had fresh Hermolis KSML INV-LHR and in lounge in LHR). So this compensation covers full cost of flights in both Avios and money, with some spare!

We spent most time in Edinburgh at Hilton Carlton. Excellent hotel, and reasonable value on cash (around 110 pounds per night). Nice upgrade to large executive room + free breakfast as Gold.
We got kosher food delivered from deli in Glasgow, as he only wanted 5 pounds for delivery (as he was delivering to the Shul also). Ordered plates of cold meat/chicken and salads for 10 pounds each, plus salmon/fried fish and salads for 8 pounds, plus challot for 2 pounds each (and some cheese, cold meats etc). Could have had hot meals for heating in hotel also. Very nice and helpful guy, recommended. Chabad (LChaim) would also deliver, possibly better quality, but they wanted around 80 pounds for delivery.
There is a store with some kosher goods just outside city center. You can also buy bread, smoked salmon etc with KLBD hechsher in all supermarkets.

Went to Shul on shabbat, approx 20 minutes walk from hotel. They had a nice kiddush + free lunch available. Chabad offer dinner on Friday night. Shul was friendly.

Visited castle, free walking tour, watched a great show, RMS Brittania etc.

Then rented a car one-way to Inverness. Spend a wonderful day in beautiful villages, distiellieries etc. Helped that we had wonderful weather - 24 degrees C every day, no rain, sun until 10pm.

Online Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2018, 12:09:04 AM »
I was in Scotland for few days last week. Some quick notes;

Flew on BA TLV-LHR-EDI/INV-LHR-TLV. Note that there is no ADP on flights starting from Inverness, so this saves quite a bit over the reverse itinerary. I booked on a 50% off Avios sale few months ago so it cost me total 10K Avios + approx $250 per person for all legs. TLV-LHR-TLV in economy, LHR-EDI/INV-LHR in business as domestic redemptions are free (even in business class it seems!). Flights all great except that return LHR-TLV was delayed by 3 hours - on the plus side we should get 300 Euro per person EU 261 compensation + 10K Avios compensation for missing Kosher Meal LHR-TLV (we had fresh Hermolis KSML INV-LHR and in lounge in LHR). So this compensation covers full cost of flights in both Avios and money, with some spare!

We spent most time in Edinburgh at Hilton Carlton. Excellent hotel, and reasonable value on cash (around 110 pounds per night). Nice upgrade to large executive room + free breakfast as Gold.
We got kosher food delivered from deli in Glasgow, as he only wanted 5 pounds for delivery (as he was delivering to the Shul also). Ordered plates of cold meat/chicken and salads for 10 pounds each, plus salmon/fried fish and salads for 8 pounds, plus challot for 2 pounds each (and some cheese, cold meats etc). Could have had hot meals for heating in hotel also. Very nice and helpful guy, recommended. Chabad (LChaim) would also deliver, possibly better quality, but they wanted around 80 pounds for delivery.
There is a store with some kosher goods just outside city center. You can also buy bread, smoked salmon etc with KLBD hechsher in all supermarkets.

Went to Shul on shabbat, approx 20 minutes walk from hotel. They had a nice kiddush + free lunch available. Chabad offer dinner on Friday night. Shul was friendly.

Visited castle, free walking tour, watched a great show, RMS Brittania etc.

Then rented a car one-way to Inverness. Spend a wonderful day in beautiful villages, distiellieries etc. Helped that we had wonderful weather - 24 degrees C every day, no rain, sun until 10pm.
Nice, thanks for the tips.

Online Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2018, 10:47:42 PM »
Anyone ever spend shabbos in Edinburgh with kids who can't walk (ie you're stuck inside all shabbos with them)? Where did you stay? What did you do for meals?

Offline G11600

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2018, 12:15:29 AM »
Anyone ever spend shabbos in Edinburgh with kids who can't walk (ie you're stuck inside all shabbos with them)? Where did you stay? What did you do for meals?
There is a hotel right opposite the Shul if that's a option. You can have lunch/kiddush at the Shul.

Online Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2018, 01:00:58 AM »
There is a hotel right opposite the Shul if that's a option. You can have lunch/kiddush at the Shul.
What's it called or what street is it on?