Author Topic: Scotland Master Thread  (Read 36666 times)

Offline G11600

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Scotland Master Thread
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2018, 01:50:52 PM »
I was in Scotland for few days last week. Some quick notes;

Flew on BA TLV-LHR-EDI/INV-LHR-TLV. Note that there is no ADP on flights starting from Inverness, so this saves quite a bit over the reverse itinerary. I booked on a 50% off Avios sale few months ago so it cost me total 10K Avios + approx $250 per person for all legs. TLV-LHR-TLV in economy, LHR-EDI/INV-LHR in business as domestic redemptions are free (even in business class it seems!). Flights all great except that return LHR-TLV was delayed by 3 hours - on the plus side we should get 300 Euro per person EU 261 compensation + 10K Avios compensation for missing Kosher Meal LHR-TLV (we had fresh Hermolis KSML INV-LHR and in lounge in LHR). So this compensation covers full cost of flights in both Avios and money, with some spare!

We spent most time in Edinburgh at Hilton Carlton. Excellent hotel, and reasonable value on cash (around 110 pounds per night). Nice upgrade to large executive room + free breakfast as Gold.
We got kosher food delivered from deli in Glasgow, as he only wanted 5 pounds for delivery (as he was delivering to the Shul also). Ordered plates of cold meat/chicken and salads for 10 pounds each, plus salmon/fried fish and salads for 8 pounds, plus challot for 2 pounds each (and some cheese, cold meats etc). Could have had hot meals for heating in hotel also. Very nice and helpful guy, recommended. Chabad (LChaim) would also deliver, possibly better quality, but they wanted around 80 pounds for delivery.
There is a store with some kosher goods just outside city center. You can also buy bread, smoked salmon etc with KLBD hechsher in all supermarkets.

Went to Shul on shabbat, approx 20 minutes walk from hotel. They had a nice kiddush + free lunch available. Chabad offer dinner on Friday night. Shul was friendly.

Visited castle, free walking tour, watched a great show, RMS Brittania etc.

Then rented a car one-way to Inverness. Spend a wonderful day in beautiful villages, distiellieries etc. Helped that we had wonderful weather - 24 degrees C every day, no rain, sun until 10pm.

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2018, 12:09:04 AM »
I was in Scotland for few days last week. Some quick notes;

Flew on BA TLV-LHR-EDI/INV-LHR-TLV. Note that there is no ADP on flights starting from Inverness, so this saves quite a bit over the reverse itinerary. I booked on a 50% off Avios sale few months ago so it cost me total 10K Avios + approx $250 per person for all legs. TLV-LHR-TLV in economy, LHR-EDI/INV-LHR in business as domestic redemptions are free (even in business class it seems!). Flights all great except that return LHR-TLV was delayed by 3 hours - on the plus side we should get 300 Euro per person EU 261 compensation + 10K Avios compensation for missing Kosher Meal LHR-TLV (we had fresh Hermolis KSML INV-LHR and in lounge in LHR). So this compensation covers full cost of flights in both Avios and money, with some spare!

We spent most time in Edinburgh at Hilton Carlton. Excellent hotel, and reasonable value on cash (around 110 pounds per night). Nice upgrade to large executive room + free breakfast as Gold.
We got kosher food delivered from deli in Glasgow, as he only wanted 5 pounds for delivery (as he was delivering to the Shul also). Ordered plates of cold meat/chicken and salads for 10 pounds each, plus salmon/fried fish and salads for 8 pounds, plus challot for 2 pounds each (and some cheese, cold meats etc). Could have had hot meals for heating in hotel also. Very nice and helpful guy, recommended. Chabad (LChaim) would also deliver, possibly better quality, but they wanted around 80 pounds for delivery.
There is a store with some kosher goods just outside city center. You can also buy bread, smoked salmon etc with KLBD hechsher in all supermarkets.

Went to Shul on shabbat, approx 20 minutes walk from hotel. They had a nice kiddush + free lunch available. Chabad offer dinner on Friday night. Shul was friendly.

Visited castle, free walking tour, watched a great show, RMS Brittania etc.

Then rented a car one-way to Inverness. Spend a wonderful day in beautiful villages, distiellieries etc. Helped that we had wonderful weather - 24 degrees C every day, no rain, sun until 10pm.
Nice, thanks for the tips.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2018, 10:47:42 PM »
Anyone ever spend shabbos in Edinburgh with kids who can't walk (ie you're stuck inside all shabbos with them)? Where did you stay? What did you do for meals?

Offline G11600

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2018, 12:15:29 AM »
Anyone ever spend shabbos in Edinburgh with kids who can't walk (ie you're stuck inside all shabbos with them)? Where did you stay? What did you do for meals?
There is a hotel right opposite the Shul if that's a option. You can have lunch/kiddush at the Shul.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2018, 01:00:58 AM »
There is a hotel right opposite the Shul if that's a option. You can have lunch/kiddush at the Shul.
What's it called or what street is it on?

Offline G11600

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2018, 02:52:58 AM »
What's it called or what street is it on?
The Salisbury boutique hotel

If you go to shul website there is a list of other reasonable hotels close to shul most of which will serve kosher breakfast on request.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2018, 09:15:03 AM »
The Salisbury boutique hotel

If you go to shul website there is a list of other reasonable hotels close to shul most of which will serve kosher breakfast on request.
Thanks. I'll have to look into that.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2018, 04:53:46 PM »
I ended up booking an Airbnb around the corner from the shul here: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7993702?location=Edinburgh%2C%20United%20Kingdom&adults=2&children=1&infants=1&check_in=2018-07-27&check_out=2018-07-29&s=FIPY7_5z

Does the shul actually daven at 33 W Preston St as it lists online? If they do, this place is just over 600ft away.

Offline G11600

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2018, 12:19:31 AM »
I ended up booking an Airbnb around the corner from the shul here: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7993702?location=Edinburgh%2C%20United%20Kingdom&adults=2&children=1&infants=1&check_in=2018-07-27&check_out=2018-07-29&s=FIPY7_5z

Does the shul actually daven at 33 W Preston St as it lists online? If they do, this place is just over 600ft away.

Shul davens at 4a Salisbury Rd, Edinburgh EH16 5AB, UK
That is the only location, includes main shul + bet midrash

Address you gave is for Chabad, they don't daven there (but do have Friday night meals) - they daven at shul

Offline G11600

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2018, 12:23:47 AM »

Address you gave is for Chabad, they don't daven there (but do have Friday night meals) - they daven at shul

http://www.ehcong.com/

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2018, 01:06:00 AM »

Really? Ok, cool. The Airbnb we booked is .2 miles from there, so still close, but not as close as down the block. Thank you for all your info on Edinburgh. You seem to be the only one with info here. I really appreciate that. It's good to know about meals Friday night. I'm assuming they eat quite late, no? Do you know how much it costs?

Offline G11600

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2018, 11:53:25 AM »
Really? Ok, cool. The Airbnb we booked is .2 miles from there, so still close, but not as close as down the block. Thank you for all your info on Edinburgh. You seem to be the only one with info here. I really appreciate that. It's good to know about meals Friday night. I'm assuming they eat quite late, no? Do you know how much it costs?
No problem. I was there for shabbat 2 weeks ago!
Re cost of meals - chabad ask for 25 pounds per person for dinner, except for students. According to shul website they will arrange meals with the Rabbi, but expect you to give a donation to the shul (who pays him for entertaining).

http://www.ehcong.com/index.php/shabbat-hospitality

When I was there they had lunch and seudah in the shul free, not sure if that's every week (assume seudah is at least). There is also a scotch and whisky kiddush...
Friday night - assume they eat after shul, which is at 8pm in summer (but 3pm in winter...).
If you are in AirBNB suggest you think about ordering from Lchaim in Glasgow, food sounded good and they will even sell you chulent in a slow cooker

http://lubofscot.co.uk/lchaims/

He wanted around 80 pounds for delivery to Edinburgh - you can order a car yourself a bit cheaper (or look at other options for delivery).

Mark's deli will deliver ready meals, meat etc

http://www.marksdeli.co.uk/

and according to the shul you can also buy frozen meals there

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2018, 02:50:54 PM »
No problem. I was there for shabbat 2 weeks ago!
Re cost of meals - chabad ask for 25 pounds per person for dinner, except for students. According to shul website they will arrange meals with the Rabbi, but expect you to give a donation to the shul (who pays him for entertaining).

When I was there they had lunch and seudah in the shul free, not sure if that's every week (assume seudah is at least). There is also a scotch and whisky kiddush...
Friday night - assume they eat after shul, which is at 8pm in summer (but 3pm in winter...).
If you are in AirBNB suggest you think about ordering from Lchaim in Glasgow, food sounded good and they will even sell you chulent in a slow cooker

http://lubofscot.co.uk/lchaims/

He wanted around 80 pounds for delivery to Edinburgh - you can order a car yourself a bit cheaper (or look at other options for delivery).

Mark's deli will deliver ready meals, meat etc

http://www.marksdeli.co.uk/

and according to the shul you can also buy frozen meals there

Thanks for all the new info, once again.

I've been emailing the Rabbi, and he said the week we're going to be in town they will only have a minyan for shabbos day, with no meals except for shabbos day. It looks like we'll probably need to order food from them for the other shabbos meals, as well as maybe during the week. I don't think we'll order food from Glasgow (though the info is handy when we'll be in Glasgow a few days later), as it's just too expensive to pay for delivery.

Did you get the food from the rabbi in Edinburgh at all, or just Glasgow? Were the portion sizes decent for £12 (which seems to be the cost for all meals)?

Offline G11600

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2018, 03:14:41 PM »
Thanks for all the new info, once again.

I've been emailing the Rabbi, and he said the week we're going to be in town they will only have a minyan for shabbos day, with no meals except for shabbos day. It looks like we'll probably need to order food from them for the other shabbos meals, as well as maybe during the week. I don't think we'll order food from Glasgow (though the info is handy when we'll be in Glasgow a few days later), as it's just too expensive to pay for delivery.

Did you get the food from the rabbi in Edinburgh at all, or just Glasgow? Were the portion sizes decent for £12 (which seems to be the cost for all meals)?

We only bought food from Glasgow - as I said, I emailed Mark's Deli and he was in Edinburgh anyway that day so delivered to my hotel for 5 pounds only.
Note that chabad in Edinburgh will also provide fresh meals, but they are quite expensive. I didn't try them.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2018, 03:37:11 PM »
We only bought food from Glasgow - as I said, I emailed Mark's Deli and he was in Edinburgh anyway that day so delivered to my hotel for 5 pounds only.
Note that chabad in Edinburgh will also provide fresh meals, but they are quite expensive. I didn't try them.
Ok, I'll have to contact the place in Glasgow then and ask if there's a day that they'll be in Edinburgh anyway so delivery will be cheaper. Otherwise it's probably best to order locally instead of paying for delivery from Glasgow.

Were the meals you got from Glasgow decent sized?

Offline G11600

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2018, 04:04:41 PM »
Ok, I'll have to contact the place in Glasgow then and ask if there's a day that they'll be in Edinburgh anyway so delivery will be cheaper. Otherwise it's probably best to order locally instead of paying for delivery from Glasgow.

Were the meals you got from Glasgow decent sized?
Size of Meals were fine - not huge, but sufficeint for one person. 1 piece of roast chicken + small israeli salad + coleslaw + pickles was 10 pounds, same for few slices of salt beef.
Challot were large and good value for 2 pounds. Cheese/cold cuts etc same prices as London.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2018, 04:24:06 PM »
Size of Meals were fine - not huge, but sufficeint for one person. 1 piece of roast chicken + small israeli salad + coleslaw + pickles was 10 pounds, same for few slices of salt beef.
Challot were large and good value for 2 pounds. Cheese/cold cuts etc same prices as London.
Good to know. I emailed them to get a menu to see what they have, and if they'll be delivering to Edinburgh the week I'm there (their site says they deliver every two weeks.

Do you happen to have a menu from them?

Offline G11600

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2018, 02:59:10 AM »
Good to know. I emailed them to get a menu to see what they have, and if they'll be delivering to Edinburgh the week I'm there (their site says they deliver every two weeks.

Do you happen to have a menu from them?

He doesn't have full menu, only list of selected items (with no prices). If you tell him what you want he'll give you a price. The Edinburgh shul Facebook page gives you the planned delivery dates, but there are also some extra ad-hoc (eg if there is a simcha).

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2018, 09:18:12 AM »
He doesn't have full menu, only list of selected items (with no prices). If you tell him what you want he'll give you a price. The Edinburgh shul Facebook page gives you the planned delivery dates, but there are also some extra ad-hoc (eg if there is a simcha).
Can I see the dates without Facebook?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2018, 01:12:03 PM »
Can I see the dates without Facebook?
I've tried looking for the dates on Facebook, but since I'm not an experienced Facebook user I don't know where they are. Can you either link or post the actual dates please?