Author Topic: Scotland Master Thread  (Read 36688 times)

Offline G11600

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Scotland Master Thread
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2018, 01:29:21 PM »
I've tried looking for the dates on Facebook, but since I'm not an experienced Facebook user I don't know where they are. Can you either link or post the actual dates please?

According to this page

https://www.facebook.com/TheEdinburghOrthodoxJewishCommunity

next delivery is on 24th May. Assume they are firtnightly after that, but not specified - maybe you can ask Mark's Deli.

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2018, 01:51:15 PM »
According to this page

https://www.facebook.com/TheEdinburghOrthodoxJewishCommunity

next delivery is on 24th May. Assume they are firtnightly after that, but not specified - maybe you can ask Mark's Deli.
Cool, thanks! That wouldn't work out for us time wise, but I'll contact the Deli again and ask. They never responded the first time.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2018, 05:52:14 PM »
Is it a crazy idea to go to Balmoral Castle in the Aberdeen area with kids? We're planning on taking the train from Edinburgh to Aberdeen on Sunday and spending the night (or two). We were thinking of renting a car and driving to the castle about an hour away. Is this a bad idea?

Also, I'm having a tough time deciding what to do for the last night on our trip that I haven't yet planned (Monday night). As of now, we'll be in Edinburgh Wednesday night-Sunday morning, and we're spending the following Tuesday night in Glasgow before flying out the next morning. While I understand that traveling with a 8 month old and a 2 year old severely limits my activity choices, I was thinking of spending 2 nights in Aberdeen just for convenience sake (Sunday and Monday) before taking the train to Glasgow on Tuesday.

Does anyone have any better ideas?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2018, 12:30:53 AM »
Also, I just remembered that we wanted to see the Falkirk wheel. A few questions:

Is it worth seeing?

I was initially thinking of seeing it on the way from Aberdeen to Glasgow, but then realized that we'll have a lot of luggage with us, so it may not be the best idea. The other option is spending 2 nights in Glasgow and one night in Aberdeen and going from Glasgow. This would mean that we'd have just one night in Aberdeen.

Overall, after a lot of research, there's not all that much we'd want to see in Aberdeen. I thought of the following rough itinerary:
-Sunday, arrive mid-afternoon around 2:30 pm, renting a car, spending the rest of the day looking around the city and perhaps visiting the Brig o’ Balgownie
-Monday, driving to Balmoral Castle, and taking a 4:30ish train to Glasgow
-Tuesday, visit the Falkirk wheel
-Wednesday, leave GLA for DUB.

How does this sound? Is it doable? I've kinda given up on seeing lots of Lochs and visiting nature places like the Isle of Skye, and want to keep it as kid-friendly as possible.

Offline Nonastai

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2018, 01:48:51 PM »
If you're looking for something to do, have you considered going to see Stirling Castle? Its supposedly the top castle to see in Scotland and should be exciting for kids. Apparently they even have a whole area dedicated for younger visitors (with hands-on learning). Plus kids under 5 are free. Easy 30 minute train ride from Glasgow.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2018, 04:37:59 PM »
If you're looking for something to do, have you considered going to see Stirling Castle? Its supposedly the top castle to see in Scotland and should be exciting for kids. Apparently they even have a whole area dedicated for younger visitors (with hands-on learning). Plus kids under 5 are free. Easy 30 minute train ride from Glasgow.
No, I hadn't considered it. I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the suggestion. That aside, what do you think of the cutre y plan including the Falkirk Wheel?

Offline MosheD

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2018, 12:24:35 PM »
In the spirit of Yehoshua's TR, I figure ill add my couple of comments from a recent Scotland trip as I wont be writing a TR.

1. Distilleries are obviously a must but after a couple they start to feel repetitive. One place that stood out to us was the Speyside Cooperage which is where they make the barrels, and has a great tour.

2. Glasgow actually seems to have the bigger Jewish community, and if you can find an airbnb near one of the shuls it could be another option for shabbos.

3. One gem we found was Ballathie House Hotel which was like staying in a real Scottish castle. It is 20 min in the direction of nowhere but that is kinda the point. Beautifully tucked away in the countryside, great campus and very affordable - rooms were just $80 when we were there. It seems they make most their money of their restaurant, but they were more than happy to heat up our double-wrapped kosher food. 5* review from us.

We also chanced upon this place which looked really cool (we had a couple drinks here) but did not stay. Not nec a castle but in a really cool area.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2018, 02:22:38 PM »
In the spirit of Yehoshua's TR, I figure ill add my couple of comments from a recent Scotland trip as I wont be writing a TR.

1. Distilleries are obviously a must but after a couple they start to feel repetitive. One place that stood out to us was the Speyside Cooperage which is where they make the barrels, and has a great tour.

2. Glasgow actually seems to have the bigger Jewish community, and if you can find an airbnb near one of the shuls it could be another option for shabbos.

3. One gem we found was Ballathie House Hotel which was like staying in a real Scottish castle. It is 20 min in the direction of nowhere but that is kinda the point. Beautifully tucked away in the countryside, great campus and very affordable - rooms were just $80 when we were there. It seems they make most their money of their restaurant, but they were more than happy to heat up our double-wrapped kosher food. 5* review from us.

We also chanced upon this place which looked really cool (we had a couple drinks here) but did not stay. Not nec a castle but in a really cool area.
Cool, thanks for sharing!

Offline GAM Z.

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2018, 02:27:17 PM »

I totally agree with your first point. The distilleries were repetitive, and the cooperage was really cool.

Offline moish

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2018, 08:24:47 AM »
One place that stood out to us was the Speyside Cooperage which is where they make the barrels, and has a great tour.

Strange that there would be a cooperage in Scotland. What do they do with the barrels? Is it purely a tourist attraction?

Online ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2018, 10:58:19 AM »
Strange that there would be a cooperage in Scotland. What do they do with the barrels? Is it purely a tourist attraction?
Scotch is stored and aged in barrels.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline moish

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2018, 11:13:33 AM »
Scotch is stored and aged in barrels.
Right, but after it has been used for something else such as American bourbon or Spanish sherry among others. FWIU, never from a new one.

Offline MosheD

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2018, 11:32:03 AM »

Yes, majority of barrels are US-made. But they still repair barrels there, and iirc they said st like it is cheaper to disassemble the barrels then reassemble in Scotland then to ship them as is...

It is def not just a tourist attraction. You get birds eye view of the floor and see the coopers working. It is actually a very sought after and well paying job

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2018, 11:35:01 AM »
Right, but after it has been used for something else such as American bourbon or Spanish sherry among others. FWIU, never from a new one.
Correct, they can't use new oak for scotch, it's too delicate.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline Afrages6

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2019, 12:30:20 PM »
Does anyone have an itinerary for a trip with a lot of distilleries?

Offline MC

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2019, 12:32:27 PM »
If anyone has it, he/she probably doesn't remember.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2019, 12:52:44 PM »
If anyone has it, he/she probably doesn't remember.
Lol

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2019, 12:53:27 PM »
I don't, but if you want one with no distilleries you can read mine.

Offline MosheD

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2019, 04:55:50 PM »

Dont really need an itin for that. Head to Speyside region and go crazy. It is distillery after distillery over there. But I'm warning you it gets repetitive. Also as a scotch lover myself, I was more impressed with the quality of the tours from Kentucky distilleries. Personally I'd look for more than just distilleries in a Scotland trip.

Anyway here is a useful map
https://www.maltmadness.com/whisky/map/Scotland/

Online ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2019, 09:29:40 PM »
The Scotch Experience in Edinborough has a 'tour' that teaches the difference in the tastes of the scothch based on their region.  It would be a nice introduction to a distillery tour.
There are also bus tours that do a day of distilleries.
My favorite cause: cssy.org