Topic Wiki

Join the widespread whatsapp group geared specifically for Kivrey Avot & Zadikim by clicking here

List of TR's: jj1000, Cbs, CGR

Kosher/ Restaurants: First 3 are on the same block.
-The Hana -  Meat - Open for lunch and dinner  (Shabbos meals) Supervision: Orthodox Rabbinate - Hana seems to be closed. Hopefully, they will reopen
-Carmel - Meat - Open for lunch & dinner. Dont expect steaks but good Hungarian meat and chicken dishes. Supervision: Rabbi Oberlander - Chabad -    Menu
-Tel Aviv Cafe - Dairy - Open for breakfast & lunch and depending on the season dinner too. Cholov yisrael   English Menu     Hebrew Menu
-Kosher Butcher Shop on Dob u, behind the Kazincy shul courtyard. used to have delicious smoked salami
-Kosher Market as well on Dohany u 36 - standard israeli and even american brands. Also sells locally baked goods with Rabbi Oberlanders hashgacha. Fresh daily.
-Kosher Deli Budapest Síp u. 12
-Kosher Meatup Síp u. 5 https://koshermeatup.hu/en
-Brooklyn Bagel Újpesti rakpart 1, Budapest
-Shakshuka Kazinczy utca 30, Budapest, 8am-3pm - Shakshuka is temporarily closed

Synagogue:
-Kazincy U.(street) Ashkenaz - minyan every morning at 7:00 and mincha maariv 15 Minutes before shkiah
-Kis Diofa u.
-Chabad, Rabbi Oberlander. Shachris: Sun. 9:00, other days at 7:00 with breakfast served after davening, except Sunday.
-Other Chabad shul is geared towards Israeli tourists
-Chevra shas during the week and in the main shul across the courtyard on shabbos. You can check with Rabbi Oberlander about his minyanim

mikveh
on Kazincy open from 6:00, the code is written on the door, towels provided, entrance fee 500 HUF

Things to Do:
Pest side of city Chain Bridge:
-Parliament
-Terror museum
- Vaci U shopping area (watch out for pickpockets and scam artist),
-Andrassy U High end shops
-Embassies
-State Opera House
-Heroes square at the end of Andrassy u.
-National Museum
-Széchenyi Thermal Bath

Buda side of city:
-Tram ride up Castle Hill
-Fishermans Bastion
-Danube river cruise
-Bronze shoe holocaust memorial on the bank of the Danube

Hotels: (Doesnt pay to use any points at any of the hotel chains)
-Gellert nice but overpriced
-Four Seasons nice but overpriced
-Kempinski (Usually very cheap $100 a night)
- Continental, on Dohany street
- Astoria

Getting Around:
-Its a beautiful city to walk around.
-Uber suspended operations in Budapest in July 2016.
-Cabs can and will rip you off...especially those parked outside hotels.
-Use app called Taxify. Its similar to Uber. Use promo code TAXIFYBP for 1000 HUF first ride
-Airport to city should be flat fee make sure you dont get scammed.
- http://www.minibud.hu/en Airport Transfer from city center, hop on hop off sightseeing tour with English and Hebrew audio
- BKK Budapest 24-hour travelcard HUF 2500, they also have multi-day options
- BKK Budapest 24-hour group travelcard (for 1-5 passengers traveling together) HUF 5500
- Bus 200E from the airport to Metro gets you into the city in 50 min
- Bus 100E from the airport to the city center (stops: Kálvin tér, Astoria, Deák tér) - HUF 2200

Notes:
Avoid Euronet ATMs at tourist sites. Use bank ATMs. Always decline the "exchange guarantee" the ATM operator is offering you, choose local currency, your own bank will have a better exchange rate than what the ATM is offering you. The ATM "exchange guarantee" is a scam and hidden fee that should be avoided.

Drivers
Shlome Hernadi - +36 (209) 348-917 - liszka1953@gmail.com
Alex - +36 (30) 2042998
Shlome Kurtz - +36 (30) 3556735 - slajme@gmail.com
Meir Gluck - +36 (20) 4602373
Janos Bene - +36 (20) 9342408 - rentacarhungary@gmail.com
Berish Goldmann - +36 (70) 4524900 - forma11562@gmail.com
Bence Bekassy - +36 (70) 558 5405 - ben@busrentalbudapest.hu

Author Topic: Budapest Master Thread  (Read 196852 times)

Offline sillypainter

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Budapest Master Thread
« Reply #640 on: June 17, 2019, 09:03:50 AM »
You guys are ALL confused.

What happened here was , a person in Belgium sold meat as kosher from Hungary, and he sold it all over Europe, and it wasn't true, Hungary stopped issuing his hechsher long ago. It has nothing to do with the Hungarian food establishments having a TRUE Hungarian hechsher.

Offline kosherjid

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: June 17, 2019, 10:28:48 AM »
You guys are ALL confused.

What happened here was , a person in Belgium sold meat as kosher from Hungary, and he sold it all over Europe, and it wasn't true, Hungary stopped issuing his hechsher long ago. It has nothing to do with the Hungarian food establishments having a TRUE Hungarian hechsher.

…..? perhaps you ARE confused.  It doesn't look so simple to me, if the rabbanim in Antwerp issued a warning, then you'd better check it out.
And if Rav Oberlander in Budapest, says that at the moment, the only two places which are kosher is Carmel and Tel Aviv cafe, you'd better be careful, no ?
(By the way, this meat wasn't sold all over Europe)

Offline shwarmabob

• View Profile
« Reply #642 on: June 17, 2019, 10:58:04 AM »
"The hechsher for Hanna is overseen by Rabbi Shmuel Eliezer Stern, and given by Rabbi Menachem Meir Hakohen Adler and Rabbi Avraham Chaim Meir Gestettner of Bnei Brak"

Can someone contact them?

Offline Luvtotravel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: June 17, 2019, 11:23:11 AM »

https://varkertbazar.hu/en/events/mikveh-tour    mikve@varkertbazar.hu
seems very interesting. Would love something like this or any Jewish tour in evening. Would u know of any? Arriving at around 3pm and leaving following morning.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 11:39:28 AM by Luvtotravel »
Don't wait for the perfect moment; take the moment and make it perfect.

Offline kosherjid

• View Profile
« Reply #644 on: June 17, 2019, 12:14:40 PM »
seems very interesting. Would love something like this or any Jewish tour in evening. Would u know of any? Arriving at around 3pm and leaving following morning.

I would suggest you phone +36 (1) 355 7049 to join the tour of the miqveh.  Wed-Thurs-Friday from 11.00 - 12:00 Tell them you're interested in the hungarian tour (even if you don't understand the language)  I think this one is daily.  Can't go by yourself.

It's in the castle district.  Then in Tancsics Mihaly 26 the remains of a middle age synagogue.  Then the Vienna Gate - used to be called the Jewish Gate - some read the megillas Ofen from Rav Yizchak ben Zalman Schulhof - his father was a Dayan in Prague - before going there. It's about the siege of 1686 that took place there.  You don't need a jewish tour for this.

Even if the hours won't work out for you, I would suggest going there. The view on Budapest from the royal castle is beautiful.  From there, BUD, you return to Pest with
http://budacastlebudapest.com/funicular-buda-castle-district/

« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 12:17:41 PM by kosherjid »

Offline Luvtotravel

• View Profile
« Reply #645 on: June 17, 2019, 02:12:59 PM »
I would suggest you phone +36 (1) 355 7049 to join the tour of the miqveh.  Wed-Thurs-Friday from 11.00 - 12:00 Tell them you're interested in the hungarian tour (even if you don't understand the language)  I think this one is daily.  Can't go by yourself.

It's in the castle district.  Then in Tancsics Mihaly 26 the remains of a middle age synagogue.  Then the Vienna Gate - used to be called the Jewish Gate - some read the megillas Ofen from Rav Yizchak ben Zalman Schulhof - his father was a Dayan in Prague - before going there. It's about the siege of 1686 that took place there.  You don't need a jewish tour for this.

Even if the hours won't work out for you, I would suggest going there. The view on Budapest from the royal castle is beautiful.  From there, BUD, you return to Pest with
http://budacastlebudapest.com/funicular-buda-castle-district/
Tx for the useful info. i won't be there by 11_am so the tour won't work out for us but could I self tour?
Also I checked out above link which has a tour at 4 pm which is great for me. Would u suggest this tour or a s egway tour to eliminate all the walking? And a river cruise in evening?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 02:20:10 PM by Luvtotravel »

Offline kosherjid

• View Profile
« Reply #646 on: June 17, 2019, 03:24:32 PM »
Tx for the useful info. i won't be there by 11_am so the tour won't work out for us but could I self tour?
Also I checked out above link which has a tour at 4 pm which is great for me. Would u suggest this tour or a s egway tour to eliminate all the walking? And a river cruise in evening?

As I wrote, in the castle district you can self tour.  I love walking, so I wouldn't know what to tell you. Just an idea: you could ask one of the jewish drivers, who bring jews to Kerestir, how much it would cost to see jewish sights.  (bear in mind, most are closed in the afternoon).
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 03:32:44 PM by kosherjid »

Offline shimino1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: June 18, 2019, 09:36:58 AM »
You are saying you spoke to the Mashgiach three years ago ?!?
I don't think that based on  " speaking to the Mashgiach" one should then rely on the kashruth of the meat.
I would suggest to contact the Rabbanim in Antwerp, who signed the warnning, which I posted above, and ask them directly, which restaurant is allowed.
Although I have a written answer from Rav Oberlander in Budapest, that Tel Aviv Cafe and Carmel are kosher. Their meat is under Chabad hechsher.  Nothing happened there.
You completely missed the point.

I am saying that Hanna doesn't relay on some Belgian supplier. They Shect their own meat every couple weeks and the Mashgiach oversees the Shchita so there could be no problem (unless you think the mashgiach is lying in which case you shouldn't eat in the restaurant at all).
Since my information is a little old, you should confirm with the Mashgiach that this is still the process.

Regarding you contacting the Chabad rabbi: It is well known that Chabad claims they are the only Kashrus in town and the Orthodox community claims the same. They each imply that the other is not Kosher.
I would be much more comfortable with Hanna were the whole Shchita operation is done "in-house" and overseen by the Kashrus authority.

Offline kosherjid

• View Profile
« Reply #648 on: June 18, 2019, 12:52:32 PM »
You completely missed the point.

I am saying that Hanna doesn't relay on some Belgian supplier. They Shect their own meat every couple weeks and the Mashgiach oversees the Shchita so there could be no problem (unless you think the mashgiach is lying in which case you shouldn't eat in the restaurant at all).
Since my information is a little old, you should confirm with the Mashgiach that this is still the process.

Regarding you contacting the Chabad rabbi: It is well known that Chabad claims they are the only Kashrus in town and the Orthodox community claims the same. They each imply that the other is not Kosher.
I would be much more comfortable with Hanna were the whole Shchita operation is done "in-house" and overseen by the Kashrus authority.

I don't think this has to do with "feeling much more comfortable with Hanna".  By the way, Rav Oberlander did not claim that "they are only Kashrus in town", he just said that "nothing happened to the Chabad schita". When I asked him about the Kashruth of Hanna, and the butcher shop, he replied "I don't have the exact details."

Seems the wisest thing would be to contact Rav Schmuel Eliezer Stern, and Rav Menachem Meir Hakohen Adler and Rav Avraham Meir Gestettner of Bne Braq, and ask them directly which restaurant is kosher and which not. 

« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 01:02:48 PM by kosherjid »

Offline shimino1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: June 18, 2019, 01:26:27 PM »
I don't think this has to do with "feeling much more comfortable with Hanna".  By the way, Rav Oberlander did not claim that "they are only Kashrus in town", he just said that "nothing happened to the Chabad schita". When I asked him about the Kashruth of Hanna, and the butcher shop, he replied "I don't have the exact details."

Seems the wisest thing would be to contact Rav Schmuel Eliezer Stern, and Rav Menachem Meir Hakohen Adler and Rav Avraham Meir Gestettner of Bne Braq, and ask them directly which restaurant is kosher and which not.
Are you arguing for the fun of it? Are you even arguing? How is anything you wrote in this post different then what I wrote?

Offline justaguy

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: June 18, 2019, 01:30:42 PM »
Stopping in Budapest on the way to Tel Aviv from around 1:00 pm to 10:30 the next morning with my wife, 4 kids + an infant. I read through the thread, but still have some questions:
-We were thinking of staying near the airport, but someone advised not to. How far from the airport to the hotels you've been discussing, which I assume are in the Jewish area?
- On the recommendation of someone upthread, I downloaded taxify, but got a disclaimer in what seems to be Vietnamese. Is this real? How do I use it? If not, what's my best option? Will we need 2 cabs?
- Will we be able to stay in 1 hotel room? If so, where? No need for elegance. Price and comfort are important. Is Air BnB a good option?
- Does the airport have free wifi?
- Sounds like within the city, we can walk just about everywhere: shul, food (restaurant & grocery), major tourist attractions. Is that right?
- I saw someone say that milk and bread are kosher. Is that only from the kosher grocery, or all over? with a hechsher? Is the local hechsher printed on the items?
TIA

Offline Luvtotravel

• View Profile
« Reply #651 on: June 18, 2019, 02:51:23 PM »
Stopping in Budapest on the way to Tel Aviv from around 1:00 pm to 10:30 the next morning with my wife, 4 kids + an infant. I read through the thread, but still have some questions:
-We were thinking of staying near the airport, but someone advised not to. How far from the airport to the hotels you've been discussing, which I assume are in the Jewish area?
- On the recommendation of someone upthread, I downloaded taxify, but got a disclaimer in what seems to be Vietnamese. Is this real? How do I use it? If not, what's my best option? Will we need 2 cabs?
- Will we be able to stay in 1 hotel room? If so, where? No need for elegance. Price and comfort are important. Is Air BnB a good option?
- Sounds like within the city, we can walk just about everywhere: shul, food (restaurant & grocery), major tourist attractions. Is that right?
- I saw someone say that milk and bread are kosher. Is that only from the kosher grocery, or all over? with a hechsher? Is the local hechsher printed on the items?
TIA
I must have missed that. Why not stay near airport? I also have morning flight and figured airport would be convenient.

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: June 18, 2019, 02:54:08 PM »
I must have missed that. Why not stay near airport? I also have morning flight and figured airport would be convenient.
Airport is not near anything...and kind of a sketchy industrial area.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline Luvtotravel

• View Profile
« Reply #653 on: June 18, 2019, 02:58:14 PM »
if I go after sightseeing minyan and food and have break of dawn flight is it still not a good option?

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: June 18, 2019, 03:00:56 PM »
if I go after sightseeing minyan and food and have break of dawn flight is it still not a good option?
Never stayed near airport. Always stayed in Pest. Just never liked the area around the airport. Its way out of the city.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline kosherjid

• View Profile
« Reply #655 on: June 18, 2019, 03:03:40 PM »

From the airport to Hotels and jewish aerea take the bus 100 - in 40 minutes you're there.

Offline chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #656 on: June 18, 2019, 03:53:01 PM »
Never stayed near airport. Always stayed in Pest. Just never liked the area around the airport. Its way out of the city.
Good hotel
https://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-B0I7-ibis-styles-budapest-airport/index.shtml

Offline Luvtotravel

• View Profile
« Reply #657 on: June 18, 2019, 04:34:42 PM »
From the airport to Hotels and jewish aerea take the bus 100 - in 40 minutes you're there.
buses run at 3am?

Offline shwarmabob

• View Profile
« Reply #658 on: June 18, 2019, 04:38:25 PM »

yes

saw someone say that milk and bread are kosher. Is that only from the kosher grocery, or all over? with a hechsher? Is the local hechsher printed on the items?
TIA
The bread is only kosher from the kosher grocery or Tel Aviv cafe. Milk is "chalav stam". Seeing a hechsher on a product is very rare in that part of the world.

Offline shwarmabob

• View Profile
« Reply #659 on: June 18, 2019, 04:40:37 PM »