Topic Wiki

Join the widespread whatsapp group geared specifically for Kivrey Avot & Zadikim by clicking here

List of TR's: jj1000, Cbs, CGR

Kosher/ Restaurants: First 3 are on the same block.
-The Hana -  Meat - Open for lunch and dinner  (Shabbos meals) Supervision: Orthodox Rabbinate - Hana seems to be closed. Hopefully, they will reopen
-Carmel - Meat - Open for lunch & dinner. Dont expect steaks but good Hungarian meat and chicken dishes. Supervision: Rabbi Oberlander - Chabad -    Menu
-Tel Aviv Cafe - Dairy - Open for breakfast & lunch and depending on the season dinner too. Cholov yisrael   English Menu     Hebrew Menu
-Kosher Butcher Shop on Dob u, behind the Kazincy shul courtyard. used to have delicious smoked salami
-Kosher Market as well on Dohany u 36 - standard israeli and even american brands. Also sells locally baked goods with Rabbi Oberlanders hashgacha. Fresh daily.
-Kosher Deli Budapest Síp u. 12
-Kosher Meatup Síp u. 5 https://koshermeatup.hu/en
-Brooklyn Bagel Újpesti rakpart 1, Budapest
-Shakshuka Kazinczy utca 30, Budapest, 8am-3pm - Shakshuka is temporarily closed

Synagogue:
-Kazincy U.(street) Ashkenaz - minyan every morning at 7:00 and mincha maariv 15 Minutes before shkiah
-Kis Diofa u.
-Chabad, Rabbi Oberlander. Shachris: Sun. 9:00, other days at 7:00 with breakfast served after davening, except Sunday.
-Other Chabad shul is geared towards Israeli tourists
-Chevra shas during the week and in the main shul across the courtyard on shabbos. You can check with Rabbi Oberlander about his minyanim

mikveh
on Kazincy open from 6:00, the code is written on the door, towels provided, entrance fee 500 HUF

Things to Do:
Pest side of city Chain Bridge:
-Parliament
-Terror museum
- Vaci U shopping area (watch out for pickpockets and scam artist),
-Andrassy U High end shops
-Embassies
-State Opera House
-Heroes square at the end of Andrassy u.
-National Museum
-Széchenyi Thermal Bath

Buda side of city:
-Tram ride up Castle Hill
-Fishermans Bastion
-Danube river cruise
-Bronze shoe holocaust memorial on the bank of the Danube

Hotels: (Doesnt pay to use any points at any of the hotel chains)
-Gellert nice but overpriced
-Four Seasons nice but overpriced
-Kempinski (Usually very cheap $100 a night)
- Continental, on Dohany street
- Astoria

Getting Around:
-Its a beautiful city to walk around.
-Uber suspended operations in Budapest in July 2016.
-Cabs can and will rip you off...especially those parked outside hotels.
-Use app called Taxify. Its similar to Uber. Use promo code TAXIFYBP for 1000 HUF first ride
-Airport to city should be flat fee make sure you dont get scammed.
- http://www.minibud.hu/en Airport Transfer from city center, hop on hop off sightseeing tour with English and Hebrew audio
- BKK Budapest 24-hour travelcard HUF 2500, they also have multi-day options
- BKK Budapest 24-hour group travelcard (for 1-5 passengers traveling together) HUF 5500
- Bus 200E from the airport to Metro gets you into the city in 50 min
- Bus 100E from the airport to the city center (stops: Kálvin tér, Astoria, Deák tér) - HUF 2200

Notes:
Avoid Euronet ATMs at tourist sites. Use bank ATMs. Always decline the "exchange guarantee" the ATM operator is offering you, choose local currency, your own bank will have a better exchange rate than what the ATM is offering you. The ATM "exchange guarantee" is a scam and hidden fee that should be avoided.

Drivers
Shlome Hernadi - +36 (209) 348-917 - liszka1953@gmail.com
Alex - +36 (30) 2042998
Shlome Kurtz - +36 (30) 3556735 - slajme@gmail.com
Meir Gluck - +36 (20) 4602373
Janos Bene - +36 (20) 9342408 - rentacarhungary@gmail.com
Berish Goldmann - +36 (70) 4524900 - forma11562@gmail.com
Bence Bekassy - +36 (70) 558 5405 - ben@busrentalbudapest.hu

Author Topic: Budapest Master Thread  (Read 198162 times)

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...

Offline berny32

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Budapest Master Thread
« Reply #761 on: December 19, 2022, 01:04:00 PM »
Father and teenage daughter visiting Budapest in January over Shabbos. Which prepaid place (Carmel, Hanna, Chabad, Other?) has the best food (and vibe)? We could split up dinner and lunch to try two places if no one place is superior, but happy to hear thoughts and advice. Also about restaurants in general and a good Shabbos place to daven in the Jewish Quarter. Thanks

bump...anyone?

Offline VacationLover

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: December 19, 2022, 04:07:47 PM »
bump...anyone?
Best food: Carmel.
Hungarian vibe: Hanna
Daven: Kacinsky

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: February 01, 2023, 02:56:52 AM »
The restaurant scene in Budapest is absolutely ridiculous. The places are half empty and they turn away people without reservations. Ive been coming here for over 20 years and have never seen anything like it. Its as if they dont want the goldmine that is Jewish tourism. Saw them turn away people at Cafe Tel Aviv who probably went and ate tarfus instead.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline shwarmabob

• View Profile
« Reply #764 on: February 02, 2023, 10:50:31 AM »
The restaurant scene in Budapest is absolutely ridiculous. The places are half empty and they turn away people without reservations. Ive been coming here for over 20 years and have never seen anything like it. Its as if they dont want the goldmine that is Jewish tourism. Saw them turn away people at Cafe Tel Aviv who probably went and ate tarfus instead.
You experienced this in multiple places? Hana? Carmel?
I was only turned away from Tel Aviv in the past because they were too busy with tourist groups.
Did you try Meetup or Saksuka?

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #765 on: February 02, 2023, 11:12:53 AM »
You experienced this in multiple places? Hana? Carmel?
I was only turned away from Tel Aviv in the past because they were too busy with tourist groups.
Did you try Meetup or Saksuka?
Carmel tried but I had reservations on recorded phone conversation so the guy had to let us in. But while we were there the place emptied out and they could have easily taken walk ins. With a meat place I get that people stay longer so reservations are preferred. But theyre telling walk-in customers that they had to book weeks in advance when that just not true. There seems to be a citiwide bias against Israelis. If you speak Hungarian it really helps.

Tel Aviv was straight anti-Israeli bias. Only rhyme and reason I could figure out. And many who would have eaten kosher probably did not because of that. Thats something the hechsher should be concerned with. I did not try the others.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline shwarmabob

• View Profile
« Reply #766 on: February 02, 2023, 12:08:38 PM »
Carmel tried but I had reservations on recorded phone conversation so the guy had to let us in. But while we were there the place emptied out and they could have easily taken walk ins. With a meat place I get that people stay longer so reservations are preferred. But theyre telling walk-in customers that they had to book weeks in advance when that just not true. There seems to be a citiwide bias against Israelis. If you speak Hungarian it really helps.

Tel Aviv was straight anti-Israeli bias. Only rhyme and reason I could figure out. And many who would have eaten kosher probably did not because of that. Thats something the hechsher should be concerned with. I did not try the others.
That's a shame and it's very strange: most "kosher" visitors must be from Israel.
Time to learn Magyar? lol

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #767 on: February 02, 2023, 12:21:03 PM »
That's a shame and it's very strange: most "kosher" visitors must be from Israel.
Time to learn Magyar? lol
Ive been learning the last 28+ years

Offline berny32

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: February 02, 2023, 09:32:49 PM »
We were there for a week in mid-Jan and had a similar experience getting turned away from restaurants without reservations, and we are Americans.
We tried going to Shakshuka 5 straight days for breakfast and got turned away every time. Either they were legitimately full or the place was booked for a large group and they turned everyone else away. We got turned away a few mornings from Tel Aviv as well. Only Kosher Deli didn't give us an issue but I heard from others they have been turned away from there as well.
As for the meat places, Carmel was also tough to get into. Hanna was easier if you were there early for dinner but not late. Meatup is a small place so they run out of tables but you could order food to go.
I imagine getting into these places in high season is even harder. That all said, the food at each of them is very good and very reasonably priced. We prepaid for both Shabbos meals at Carmel and we're very pleased.
I think a large part of the problem is just inefficiency. They all need more waitstaff to help move things along and get people out of there quicker, allowing additional seatings for others. They are all pretty small places and don't really use their floor space efficiently.
I don't think there is anything sinister going on or any racism or something like that. It's just not very well run at each place, and they're a bit overwhelmed by the large amount of tourists going there now.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #769 on: February 02, 2023, 10:58:46 PM »
We were there for a week in mid-Jan and had a similar experience getting turned away from restaurants without reservations, and we are Americans.
We tried going to Shakshuka 5 straight days for breakfast and got turned away every time. Either they were legitimately full or the place was booked for a large group and they turned everyone else away. We got turned away a few mornings from Tel Aviv as well. Only Kosher Deli didn't give us an issue but I heard from others they have been turned away from there as well.
As for the meat places, Carmel was also tough to get into. Hanna was easier if you were there early for dinner but not late. Meatup is a small place so they run out of tables but you could order food to go.
I imagine getting into these places in high season is even harder. That all said, the food at each of them is very good and very reasonably priced. We prepaid for both Shabbos meals at Carmel and we're very pleased.
I think a large part of the problem is just inefficiency. They all need more waitstaff to help move things along and get people out of there quicker, allowing additional seatings for others. They are all pretty small places and don't really use their floor space efficiently.
I don't think there is anything sinister going on or any racism or something like that. It's just not very well run at each place, and they're a bit overwhelmed by the large amount of tourists going there now.

Having been going to Budapest regularly since 2002 I agree with most of what you are saying but I also spoke to enough locals to get to my conclusions.

Offline mr.

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: February 03, 2023, 03:47:27 AM »
just was there and had same experience i wasn't just turned away i was yelled at
and yes is was half empty
I had the same though so we just starved but there were so many other tourists who i am scared didn't.......

Offline shwarmabob

• View Profile
« Reply #771 on: February 03, 2023, 11:18:58 AM »
Are there more visitors now than before Covid?

Offline berny32

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: February 03, 2023, 12:07:44 PM »

I will sadly point out that at every restaurant we ate in, the rude, loud, obnoxious group were inevitably always Israelis. Yes i know not every Israeli is like this, but we definitely witnessed this. From talking loudly on their cell phones, to barking rudely at the waitstaff, to asking that every item on the menu be changed and made to their specification, to getting flustered when the local Hungarian waiter didn't understand their broken English or Hebrew, it was ridiculous and embarrassing to witness. This stuff may be the norm in Israel and put up with, but when traveling you need to act like a mench.
So if a few bad apples ruin it for the rest of Israelis and the places don't want to deal with this turn them away, while I don't think it's right I could see it happening.

Online JoshNY

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: February 09, 2023, 05:50:16 PM »
Posting this in the local Europe threads....as many people are planning trips to Kerestir and pre Pesach trips to/from Israel via Vienna or Budapest - Pressburg is  just 2 hours from Budapest and it is on the way from Budapest to Vienna.

There is a new Kosher cafe in Pressburg/Bratislava, under Kedassia London supervision.

It's a 5 minutes walk from the Chasam Sofer and open Sunday to Thursday 10 am to 8 pm.

They can also prepare sandwiches or meals in advance for takeaway or cater meals for groups.

www.rivercafe.sk
Call/Whatsapp +421-951-921746

And if anyone wants to stay the night in Pressburg there's a beautiful 5* hotel across the street from the Pressburg Hachnosas Orchim that often has points availability.
Grand Hotel River Park -  Part of Bonvoy

**I am posting this as public service but please note that I am affiliated with the restaurant
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 05:57:27 PM by JoshNY »

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #774 on: February 09, 2023, 06:14:41 PM »
For those going to Keristir neither of the two places are offering much free food anymore. You need to pay for "VIP" service.

Online sillypainter

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: February 09, 2023, 09:03:06 PM »
Posting this in the local Europe threads....as many people are planning trips to Kerestir and pre Pesach trips to/from Israel via Vienna or Budapest - Pressburg is  just 2 hours from Budapest and it is on the way from Budapest to Vienna.

There is a new Kosher cafe in Pressburg/Bratislava, under Kedassia London supervision.

It's a 5 minutes walk from the Chasam Sofer and open Sunday to Thursday 10 am to 8 pm.

They can also prepare sandwiches or meals in advance for takeaway or cater meals for groups.

www.rivercafe.sk
Call/Whatsapp +421-951-921746

And if anyone wants to stay the night in Pressburg there's a beautiful 5* hotel across the street from the Pressburg Hachnosas Orchim that often has points availability.
Grand Hotel River Park -  Part of Bonvoy

**I am posting this as public service but please note that I am affiliated with the restaurant

Thanks, looking forward for a visit. On my list.

Online sillypainter

• View Profile
« Reply #776 on: February 09, 2023, 09:03:55 PM »
For those going to Keristir neither of the two places are offering much free food anymore. You need to pay for "VIP" service.

You mean the "house" and the "shtieb"? Funding dried out?

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #777 on: February 09, 2023, 09:23:52 PM »
You mean the "house" and the "shtieb"? Funding dried out?
I mean Rubin and Freidlander. They got sick of providing free meals for Israelis. Thats the story from the locals. Its $40 RT from TLV to either BUD or DEB on Ryan Air or Wizz and there is now a twice a day shuttle  from BUD for next to nothing. Israelis have flooded the place. Freidlander was always a business venture. Rubin not so much. But there is a limit to how much free food they could provide.

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: February 09, 2023, 09:35:52 PM »
I mean Rubin and Freidlander. They got sick of providing free meals for Israelis. Thats the story from the locals. Its $40 RT from TLV to either BUD or DEB on Ryan Air or Wizz and there is now a twice a day shuttle  from BUD for next to nothing. Israelis have flooded the place. Freidlander was always a business venture. Rubin not so much. But there is a limit to how much free food they could provide.

I don't blame them.
We ordered a *VIP* dinner for our group from Rubin and we were blown away, they delivered a full scale state dinner, you name it, and all for bubkes. (relatively)

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #779 on: February 09, 2023, 09:38:12 PM »
I don't blame them.
We ordered a *VIP* dinner for our group from Rubin and we were blown away, they delivered a full scale state dinner, you name it, and all for bubkes. (relatively)
I was there right after Sukkos and Rubin had nothing as they were closed for Sukkos. Friedlander had delicious free food. Was there last week and both went VIP. Didnt know until I got there.