Author Topic: Best time to buy/sell on Ebay?  (Read 9042 times)

Offline Thingywingy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Best time to buy/sell on Ebay?
« on: November 03, 2011, 02:38:01 AM »
I was wondering when is the best time to buy or sell on Ebay. Being that most bids are made close to the end and that auction lengths are in increments of 24 hours, sellers should post during busiest times. For buyers  the oppisite is true. So when is it the most and least busy? I would guess 6pm to 11pm is busiest time of day. But you have to consider other time zones. What about days of the week; are some days better? Please share your thoughts.
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Best time to buy/sell on Ebay?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 09:58:28 AM »
I was wondering when is the best time to buy or sell on Ebay. Being that most bids are made close to the end and that auction lengths are in increments of 24 hours, sellers should post during busiest times. For buyers  the oppisite is true. So when is it the most and least busy? I would guess 6pm to 11pm is busiest time of day. But you have to consider other time zones. What about days of the week; are some days better? Please share your thoughts.

IME: Auctions ending in middle of the night (especially on weekends), snipe at the last few seconds.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline henche

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 10:02:19 AM »
I think there are websites which track this stuff, even for specific items.

Offline Name Changed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 10:52:01 PM »
I think there are websites which track this stuff, even for specific items.

There is a site called http://www.terapeak.com/ that tracks ebay sales...

I buy and sell a lot on ebay...

Probably the peak time of highest prices are between 1pm and 8pm

Early in them morning prices could be lower and deff auctions ending in the middle of the night are lower

Weekened - Shabbos, Sunday are ususally a little lower. Friday I have sold at higher sometimes...

Its a lot of Mazel.

when I buy something I look at the pricing of completed listings and base what I will get it for from there.

I use a ebay sniper thats free - www.pro.smart-bidder.com

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 11:25:06 PM »

Probably the peak time of highest prices are between 1pm and 8pm

Weekened - Shabbos, Sunday are ususally a little lower. Friday I have sold at higher sometimes...

Its a lot of Mazel.

I use a ebay sniper thats free - www.pro.smart-bidder.com

Interesting.  . . I was always told the best time to sell is on weekends bec that's when most people are spending time online shopping/auctions end higher than rest of the week.

I have an app for snipping but it doesn't help if someone has a max bid on the auction bec it snipes at 3 seconds before it ends. The site that you use snipes closer than that?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 11:48:06 PM »
Interesting.  . . I was always told the best time to sell is on weekends bec that's when most people are spending time online shopping/auctions end higher than rest of the week.

Logic would dictate that for an iten with high supply you should bid when demand is low, vs. for an item with low supply you bid when there are lots of listings for it.

And like I stated previously, when I say bid I mean right before the auction is up (bidding earlier tends to drive the price up).

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 12:04:15 AM »
Logic would dictate that for an iten with high supply you should bid when demand is low, vs. for an item with low supply you bid when there are lots of listings for it.

And like I stated previously, when I say bid I mean right before the auction is up (bidding earlier tends to drive the price up).

In my post that you quoted I was talking about selling not buying.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 12:09:04 AM »
In my post that you quoted I was talking about selling not buying.

I guess you can reverse the formula for the best times to sell.

Offline Shmendy

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 03:32:54 PM »
For best exposure begin your 10 day Auction on Thursday eve at Midnight (EST) to end the 2nd Sunday at 12AM (EST).
Now you have 2 weekends & you give ppl on the West Coast a chance to bid till 9pm California time.

Offline Name Changed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 08:28:16 PM »
For best exposure begin your 10 day Auction on Thursday eve at Midnight (EST) to end the 2nd Sunday at 12AM (EST).
Now you have 2 weekends & you give ppl on the West Coast a chance to bid till 9pm California time.

It really depends on the item you are selling

If you are selling an item that isnt a hot item on the market and you need a lot of exposure what you are saying might be true

But if you are selling a hot item - Laptop, tablet, ipod.... or whatever is hot that season... Then too long of an auction isnt good. Because in the beginning of the auction when the price is still low - people bid (prob thinking why not bid low now - this is deff a good price is they win at this bid... Which is really stupid as it jacks up the price...) Either way a few days into the auction the price will get bid up, and now many people arent gonna even look at this item cuz it isnt the low price they wanna get it at....
I have seen that the more watchers on an item the better chance it is for selling high. The item only racks up watchers when the price is still low

I think 3 day auctions are really good.