Kosher Food/ Restaurants:

Synagogue:

Things to Do:

Hotels:

Getting Around:

Notes:

Please Update the Wiki
« Last edited by pointer on June 02, 2019, 03:09:36 AM »

Author Topic: St Thomas Island  (Read 8065 times)

Offline glasses dude

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: St Thomas Island
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2013, 09:42:38 AM »
From the day i spent there, it has a lot of hills and only water sports as activities. Unless you plan on ferrying to the other islands, I think two/three days would be the max i could handle. They do have a really cool old shul with sand floors which was nice to see. Beware, it is located in the middle of a very steep hill.
gotcha thanks gotta put the thinking cap back on

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2013, 02:48:33 AM »
gotcha thanks gotta put the thinking cap back on
If you are looking at the Carribean in July check out the ABC islands which are out of the hurricane belt.

Offline DP7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2013, 10:22:28 PM »
Any hotel recommendations for St. Thomas?

Offline yos9694

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2013, 12:43:00 PM »
On St. Thomas itself I've stayed at Pavilions and Pools. They have a couple dozen condos each with its own private swimming pool. The pool itself is only about twice the size of a plunge pool, but it is 100% free of tsniut issues :) The free breakfast has lots of kosher. No other frills there, just relaxation and complete privacy. Recommended if that's what you're after.

There are touristy things to do in addition to water activities, mostly where the cruise ships dock. The only one I did was take a chair lift up a mountain for hiking, nice views, and a parrot show. There was also a great outdoor market that I went to more than once.

Where I spent most of my time was on St John though, driving through the national park and hiking to parts with no roads. There is awesome snorkeling on this island and usually no one else around (due to remoteness). There is a great Westin property on the West coast (facing St. Thomas). Once you drive 5 minutes away from that coast, the number of people you see drops to nearly 0. The beaches are not that special on either island compared to other places in the Caribbean, but they are still great.

Offline DP7

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2013, 09:29:23 PM »
Has anyone ever stayed at the green iguana?

Offline smiles

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2013, 10:42:13 PM »
Is there anywhere in St. Thomas to stay with points?

Offline DP7

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2014, 06:57:22 AM »

Is there anywhere in St. Thomas to stay with points?

You can use points at the Marriott or ritz although that may not give you the best value. There are also Best Westerns. Alternatively, you can take a ferry to St, John and stay at the Westin St. John using SPG points. 

Offline ueaiouioei

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2014, 09:59:55 PM »
I just spent a week in St. John. If anyone has any questions please feel free to pm me or ask here.
Live life to the fullest

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2014, 10:29:33 PM »
I just spent a week in St. John. If anyone has any questions please feel free to pm me or ask here.
Thanks for the offer. How about a trip report?

Offline dd321

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2014, 11:53:12 PM »

Thanks for the offer. How about a trip report?
+1

Offline ueaiouioei

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2014, 11:58:06 AM »
Sorry for the delay, heres my trip report from St. John.

Sunday – flight was delayed out of JFK so we only arrived on St. Thomas around 830. We payed the $120 or so to have the Westin pick us up straight from the airport and take us over to St. John on their own boat. Totally worth it. We docked at the Westin’s marina and were met on with music playing and free drinks! They gave us our room keys right at the dock and then brought our luggage to our room a few minutes later.

Monday – I picked up the car from Conrad car rentals. We caught the Westin’s afternoon “round the island” tour. The guy took us around on one of those pick up truck/open taxi’s. It was really nice. He stopped at a bunch of overlooks and at an old sugar processing plant. Then we went on the Westin’s sunset cruise. It left at 5 and sunset was at 5:55. It was a cloudy so we just enjoyed the nice boat. I tasted my first pain killer. It was amazing.

Tuesday – We slept in and then packed up our room to move to another room with that had a patio. Then we headed out to Trunk bay. Spent a couple of hours there. We rented snorkeling gear and went snorkeling in the reef. It was ok. Water was very rough and visibility was low so we couldn’t really see anything. Then we headed into town. First we went to Mongoose Junction and walked around the shops there. I bought locally brewed bottles of beer. They were very good. Then we headed to the main town, Wharfside village. Sat at a bar to drink (pain killer for me and diet coke for Miri). Walked around a bit more. Bought a huge (later we found out delicious) Mango for $5 from a lady selling fruit at a corner stand. Then we went to this little shop (http://www.ourmarketsmoothies.com/) where a guy took whole coconuts, chopped the top off and put in a straw. I mixed some rum into mine. It was amazing. He taught us two “life lessons”. One about always be nice to every one and another about having mercy. He was very entertaining and charged $4 for the coconut + $5 for  the rum. Then we came home, watched some friends and went to sleep.

Wed – We met the dive instructor at 9am at the pool. Miri got her first intro to diving. Then we spent the rest of the morning sun baking and playing in the pool. At 1:15 we headed to the dock and got onto the dive boat. It was just the two of us together with the dive master and captain. Miri did her first real dive. It was amazing. I was sooo happy. Then we came back and went back to the pool to relax. At around 4:30 we went back to the room to change and headed out to Dennis beach. It’s a tiny deserted beach that is down a path that breaks off from peace hill. It was like a 10 minute hike down and we stayed there for like 30 minutes until just before sunset so we would still have light to go up. Miri got some nice shots of the almost sunset though. Then we drove further up a bit, past cinnamon bay. We headed back, stopped at the supermarket, rented a video then came back.

Thursday – We booked in 10am spa sessions. It was absolutely heaven. Then we headed out on our round the island excursion. We circled the whole island and explored every publicly accessible road. Good thing we had a 4x4 jeep.

Friday – Shabbos started early so we didn’t have much time. The supermarkets had tons of kosher food. The one closer to the Westin even had “fresh” packaged Challah. We got ready for Shabbos and then at like 12 we rented a 10’ dinghy from the Westin and took it around to Trunk Bay. I must say, that was the highlight of my trip. It was amazing! I pulled up to the far end of Trunk bay to let Miri and our stuff off the dinghy. Then I had to take the dingy about 100’ out, tie it up to the mooring and then swim back. It felt like I was in heaven.
Shabbos – Shabbos was just nice and pleasant. We had a ground level room with a little table and two chairs right outside and had the seudos there. We spent most of the day around our room so that we wouldn’t have to lock the door. (doors are opened with a key card, I tried getting a room with a regular key but they don’t have any) When we did, inevitably get locked out,  I started explaining to one of the custodians why we needed them to open our door for us and they were like “oh, your jewish” and opened it right away. We went to the kitchen in the Westin’s restaurant and got hot water for our coffees Shabbos morning.

If you've got any questions feel free to PM me
Live life to the fullest

Offline efflpetzel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2014, 06:13:02 PM »
Nice TR!
Which airline did you fly with, points?

Offline ueaiouioei

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2014, 10:52:57 AM »
Nice TR!
Which airline did you fly with, points?

Thanks!

I've never actually found any good point tickets to St. Thomas (from NYC). Avios officially has but I check all the time and have never seen any available, I look all the time. I ended up getting a great deal on Kayak. $384 round trip on Delta from JFK with a stop over in ATL on the way back.
Live life to the fullest

Offline nirc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2014, 03:01:57 PM »
My cruise stops in St Thomas for 1 day. Any suggestions on what to see/ do in that short amount of time?

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2014, 03:02:27 PM »
My cruise stops in St Thomas for 1 day. Any suggestions on what to see/ do in that short amount of time?
Check out the shul there. Very cool and has sand floors. Up a very very steep hill though.
Quaerite et Invenietis.