Author Topic: car rental insurance  (Read 2324 times)

Offline isac

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG/Marriott Plat
car rental insurance
« on: July 09, 2011, 04:53:14 PM »
 Which card has the best car rental insurance for america?
-American express extra coverage ($25 per rental comprehensive coverage)
-Mastercard world platinum
-Chase mastercard continental

Offline SPLP

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: car rental insurance
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 04:23:41 PM »
I saw this hope it helps

Car rental collision damage waiver is probably the most common way to ‘lure’ card members. All card issuers say they offer collision damage waiver, so you can decline the CDW (collision damage waiver) offered by the car rental companies. Seems like a huge benefit! But you will get scared if you read the fine print of the car rental collision damage waiver. Half of what the car rental companies will charge you is not covered.

Let me first acquaint you with some of the fees that car rental companies hit you with in the unfortunate case of an accident.

Loss-of-use fee: Car rental companies charge you for each day the car was out of commission since it was being serviced. In most cases, they charge this even if they are not sold out!
    Diminished value fee: The companies will charge you for the depreciation in value due to the accident.
    Administrative fee: Just a vague name to pinch your hard-earned money.

I will discuss which cards cover these fees, but first let me briefly state how the credit card coverage works.
Understanding credit card coverage

If your card has car rental collision coverage, it will be activated if you charge the total amount of the rental to a particular card. Additionally, you have to decline the CDW offered by the car rental company. If the car is involved in an accident, the car rental company will charge everything to your card or send it to your insurance company. If the coverage on your credit card is secondary, your insurance company will be contacted first and only the deductible amount and other charges not covered by the insurance company will be sent to the credit card. If the credit card coverage is primary, your insurance company will not be informed and the credit card company will be sent the bill. In most cases, credit cards cover the whole amount. Nevertheless, there are some fees that they might not cover. Let’s see which cards offer what

Visa : Coverage is secondary in most cases. Covers all fees and towing charges within ‘reasonable’ limits. This is the best bet with fewest fine prints.
    Mastercard: Coverage is secondary in most cases. Does not cover administrative fees. Covers all other ‘reasonable’ charges.
    American Express: Coverage is secondary unless you purchase the Premium protection plan. Cover all fees when the ‘rental company provides appropriate documentation’.
    Discover: Coverage is secondary. Covers no fees. The worst coverage in the market.
    Diners Club: Coverage is primary. Does not cover administrative fees. Covers all other ‘reasonable’ charges.

As you can see, Visa and American Express are the best bets. However, American Express has been known to deny fees coverage because they have been unable to get ‘fleet utilization logs’ from the rental company.

There is a huge fuss about primary coverage. This is because in this case, the accident will not be reported to your insurance company and there is no chance of an increased insurance bill. However, if your personal auto insurance is liability only, the credit card coverage becomes primary. I routinely change my auto insurance coverage to ‘liability only’ before any car rental trip and return it back to the normal state after the trip ends. Normally takes about 5 minutes of calling the insurance company. Personally, I would pay a $30 increase in my insurance than hundreds of dollars in rental company fees. Nevertheless, I have listed all cards I know of that have primary coverage.

Citi Professional Card
    Citi Professional Cash Card
    CitiBusiness / AAdvantage MasterCard
    Citibusiness Card
    CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Visa Card
    AT&T Universal Business Rewards Card
    Diners Club
    Continental (Chase) Presidential Plus
    Continental (Chase) OnePass Plus
    Discover Escape Car

Before I conclude, I should remind you of the benefit provided by USAA. You can join USAA if you or any of your kith or kin have been in the military. When USAA members reserve cars using the USAA codes (they give the best rates in most cases), USAA covers all fees and damages with a deductible of $5000. This is easily covered by any credit card. Another small benefit to make the military household feel more special.

Offline isac

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG/Marriott Plat
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 07:13:25 PM »
Thank you that was very helpful!

IS cdw the only extra "insurance charge" i save w/ one of these credit cards,
isn't there other possible insurance fees?

Offline ShmuliT

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 10:25:56 PM »
For those of you confused when you get to the rental counter, not knowing what all the things they offer mean (Ie: cdw, ldw liability etc.) and if you should pay for them, I found a good article explaining it:
http://www.ag.ny.gov/bureaus/consumer_frauds/tips/auto_rental.html

Offline Yeki89

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 01:26:16 PM »
Thank you that was very helpful!

IS cdw the only extra "insurance charge" i save w/ one of these credit cards,
isn't there other possible insurance fees?
yes

Offline Yeki89

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 01:27:06 PM »
Which card has the best car rental insurance for america?
-American express extra coverage ($25 per rental comprehensive coverage)
-Mastercard world platinum
-Chase mastercard continental
i heard the citi mc world makes problems with claims
amex never does

Offline shach

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 01:25:37 AM »
can someone advise me: when a reservation/contract is for more than 30 days, does citi proffesional cash card provide insurance for any damage done within the the first 30 days(e.g. totaled the car thus terminating the rental within 30 days).