Author Topic: First Time--Have some Q's and need some help  (Read 2545 times)

Offline lechaim2life

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
First Time--Have some Q's and need some help
« on: July 13, 2011, 02:59:58 AM »
I am new to the site and have been spending the past 2 days reading up on the different CC deals and ways to maximize the bonus offers. I apologize in advance if some of my questions are addressed/were answered in other forums. Also, just some background info to keep in mind regarding my questions: I am 22yo just graduated college and beginning to work and getting married at the end of the summer. My goal is to buy a house in 2-4 years and I assume I need good credit to do that. So....

1. Is there any downside to applying for all these credit cards (credit rating, etc.)?
2. Can I/do you recommend applying for every single card (Citi, Amex, etc.) with a good deal available?
3. Once I am approved and open multiple cards can I cancel the cards once I reach the spending limits needed for the bonus and transfer the miles to one card? Is there any penalty for doing this?

Thanks in advance for the help and I am really sorry if these are annoying questions that have been answered multiple times already. If answers/info is already available please direct me to where I can read about it and I will do so.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: First Time--Have some Q's and need some help
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 03:27:57 AM »
I am new to the site and have been spending the past 2 days reading up on the different CC deals and ways to maximize the bonus offers. I apologize in advance if some of my questions are addressed/were answered in other forums. Also, just some background info to keep in mind regarding my questions: I am 22yo just graduated college and beginning to work and getting married at the end of the summer. My goal is to buy a house in 2-4 years and I assume I need good credit to do that. So....

1. Is there any downside to applying for all these credit cards (credit rating, etc.)?
2. Can I/do you recommend applying for every single card (Citi, Amex, etc.) with a good deal available?
3. Once I am approved and open multiple cards can I cancel the cards once I reach the spending limits needed for the bonus and transfer the miles to one card? Is there any penalty for doing this?

Thanks in advance for the help and I am really sorry if these are annoying questions that have been answered multiple times already. If answers/info is already available please direct me to where I can read about it and I will do so.

Welcome to the forums!

Just a quick note, the advice you'll get on this site (at least from me), is free. You get what you pay for, so look for logic as opposed to accepting anything anyone says.

1. I don't think the inquiries will hurt your scores after 6+ months, though they do stay on your credit reports for two years. You can ask some people in the mortgage industry how they view credit card inquiries that are 12+ months old.

2. Hard to say since we don't know your current credit/income (etc.) situation, there are many factors to credit. Either way, even with stellar credit there are ~10 great offers currently going on, and it'll be a long shot getting approved for them all. Slow and steady is the way to go in this game (IMHO), at least until you learn the ropes.

3. You're best keeping the credit lines open. It looks good on your report, can possibly be used as a bargaining chip for future applications (offering to transfer credit or close a card), and  keeps your utilization low. I'd recommend against consolidating to less cards with higher limits (definitely a risk with Amex), but that's just me. Convert to a fee-free card if you want to avoid annual fees.

There's a lot of information on the CC forum, use the search box on that page (searches all the threads for that forum). Search there and/or Google any term you don't understand.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline dans fan

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 10:10:14 PM »
Welcome to the forums!

Just a quick note, the advice you'll get on this site (at least from me), is free. You get what you pay for, so look for logic as opposed to accepting anything anyone says.

1. I don't think the inquiries will hurt your scores after 6+ months, though they do stay on your credit reports for two years. You can ask some people in the mortgage industry how they view credit card inquiries that are 12+ months old.

2. Hard to say since we don't know your current credit/income (etc.) situation, there are many factors to credit. Either way, even with stellar credit there are ~10 great offers currently going on, and it'll be a long shot getting approved for them all. Slow and steady is the way to go in this game (IMHO), at least until you learn the ropes.

3. You're best keeping the credit lines open. It looks good on your report, can possibly be used as a bargaining chip for future applications (offering to transfer credit or close a card), and  keeps your utilization low. I'd recommend against consolidating to less cards with higher limits (definitely a risk with Amex), but that's just me. Convert to a fee-free card if you want to avoid annual fees.

There's a lot of information on the CC forum, use the search box on that page (searches all the threads for that forum). Search there and/or Google any term you don't understand.
wow asherO calm cool and collective

Offline LAXtraveler

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis Preferred, National Executive, Hertz #1 Club Gold
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 11:01:20 PM »

Can I ask what you mean by this AsherO? Meaning, why Amex specifically?

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 11:06:07 PM »
it seems once u get a high enough cl with amex you are much more prone to FR's

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 11:51:29 PM »
it seems once u get a high enough cl with amex you are much more prone to FR's

+1

That's what I meant

Offline LAXtraveler

• View Profile
  • Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis Preferred, National Executive, Hertz #1 Club Gold
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 12:36:13 AM »
Thanks for the clarification. What is considered a high enough limit then?

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 12:53:53 AM »
Thanks for the clarification. What is considered a high enough limit then?

High enough to be a problem? 20-25k. High enough for spending? That would depend on your spending pattern and target utilization ratio.

Offline LAXtraveler

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 01:53:09 AM »
High enough to be a problem? 20-25k. High enough for spending? That would depend on your spending pattern and target utilization ratio.

Thanks. I meant high enough to be a problem where FR would become more likely. Thanks for the info!