Topic Wiki

Click Here to get more details on this card and compare to other cards!

5% categories for fourth quarter of 2017:
Dept. stores and Walmart

There are three possibilities for how many points are earned. In the following examples, the effective rates are assuming you cash out the points for 1 cent each, but if you can transfer them to Sapphire Preferred or Ink, the effective rate could be much higher.
  • Cardholders without a Chase checking account
    1 base point per dollar for all spending. Additional 4 bonus points per dollar for spending up to $1500 in quarterly categories.
    Example 1: Spend $1 on a parking meter. Earn 1 point, an effective rate of 1%.
    Example 2: Spend $10 to refill a Metrocard in 2016 Q1. Earn 50 points, an effective rate of 5%.
    Example 3: Spend $100 to buy a Long Island Rail Road Peak Ten-Trip ticket between zones 1 and 3 in 2016 Q1. Earn 500 points, an effective rate of 5%.
    Example 4: Spend $1500 at 7-Eleven in 2016 Q1. Earn 7500 points, an effective rate of 5%.
  • Cardholders with a Chase checking account in older program
    1 base point per dollar plus 10% of the base points plus 10 points per transaction for all spending. Additional 4 bonus points per dollar for spending up to $1500 in quarterly categories.
    Example 1: Spend $1 on a parking meter. Earn 11.1 points, an effective rate of 11.1%.
    Example 2: Spend $10 to refill a Metrocard in 2016 Q1. Earn 61 points, an effective rate of 6.1%.
    Example 3: Spend $100 to buy a Long Island Rail Road Peak Ten-Trip ticket between zones 1 and 3 in 2016 Q1. Earn 520 points, an effective rate of 5.2%.
    Example 4: Spend $1500 at 7-Eleven in 2016 Q1. Earn 7660 points, an effective rate of 5.11%.
  • Cardholders with a Chase checking account in newer program
    1 base point per dollar for all spending. Additional 4 bonus points per dollar for spending up to $1500 in quarterly categories. Annual bonus of 10% of the total of base and bonus points (until February 2016).
    Example 1: Spend $1 on a parking meter. Earn 1 point on the next statement and .1 points at year's end, an effective rate of 1.1%.
    Example 2: Spend $10 to refill a Metrocard in 2016 Q1. Earn 50 points on the next statement and 5 points at year's end, an effective rate of 5.5%.
    Example 3: Spend $100 to buy a Long Island Rail Road Peak Ten-Trip ticket between zones 1 and 3 in 2016 Q1. Earn 500 points on the next statement and 50 points at year's end, an effective rate of 5.5%.
    Example 4: Spend $1500 at 7-Eleven in 2016 Q1. Earn 7500 points on the next statement and 750 points at year's end, an effective rate of 5.5%.

« Last edited by jj1000 on March 14, 2018, 12:39:32 PM »

Author Topic: Chase Freedom Master Thread  (Read 557586 times)

Offline DevoiriS

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Chase Freedom
« Reply #220 on: February 19, 2012, 03:21:31 PM »
My husband had a Chase Freedom since 2007. Was it a bad idea that I just closed it? We rarely use it and I'm thinking that maybe he can sign up again and get the bonus. Opinions? (They didn't want to offer anything to keep it open or for the fact that it was opened for a few years.).

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Chase Freedom
« Reply #221 on: February 19, 2012, 04:14:50 PM »
My husband had a Chase Freedom since 2007. Was it a bad idea that I just closed it? We rarely use it and I'm thinking that maybe he can sign up again and get the bonus. Opinions? (They didn't want to offer anything to keep it open or for the fact that it was opened for a few years.).

Did you use all the points before closing it?
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #222 on: February 19, 2012, 04:33:38 PM »
Was it a bad idea that I just closed it?
Yes, should've leveraged it.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline DevoiriS

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 19, 2012, 07:35:19 PM »
Yes, should've leveraged it.
what do you mean? what could i have used it for? and yes, they are sending a check for $80 something.

thanks!

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 19, 2012, 07:38:43 PM »
what do you mean? what could i have used it for? and yes, they are sending a check for $80 something.

thanks!

You could have used the credit to get a new card approved with.  But what's done is done. As long as your credit is good and you dont have too many accounts open with Chase you should be able to get approved with whatever card you apply for next.

Offline DevoiriS

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: February 19, 2012, 07:43:29 PM »
Oh well. I opened up two new cards this year and my husband too. Both citi visa and amex. I hope to open one or two chase credit cards. what do you mean i could have used the credit to get a new card approved with? Are you referring to the credit line or is it something else?

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 19, 2012, 07:51:48 PM »
Oh well. I opened up two new cards this year and my husband too. Both citi visa and amex. I hope to open one or two chase credit cards. what do you mean i could have used the credit to get a new card approved with? Are you referring to the credit line or is it something else?

Yes the credit line.  Good luck with your chase applications!!

Offline DevoiriS

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 19, 2012, 07:56:14 PM »
Yes the credit line.  Good luck with your chase applications!!
Thanks. I'm not worried about my credit line. I don't make grand purchases.
Thanks for your help!

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 19, 2012, 07:58:52 PM »
Thanks. I'm not worried about my credit line. I don't make grand purchases.
Thanks for your help!

You could have used the credit line to help get your new card approved.  Nothing to do with making purchases.

Offline DevoiriS

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 19, 2012, 08:01:03 PM »
You could have used the credit line to help get your new card approved.  Nothing to do with making purchases.
But i want to apply for the exact same card. This time with a bonus sign up offer.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Chase Freedom
« Reply #230 on: February 19, 2012, 08:15:27 PM »
But i want to apply for the exact same card. This time with a bonus sign up offer.

You could have opened another freedom even when you have one open.. now you know for next time. If you're looking to get back sign up bonus to use for airlines don't forget to open a Sapphire Preferred too! Enjoy both sign up bonuses.

Offline DevoiriS

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Chase Freedom
« Reply #231 on: February 19, 2012, 08:20:57 PM »

You could have opened another freedom even when you have one open.. now you know for next time. If you're looking to get back sign up bonus to use for airlines don't forget to open a Sapphire Preferred too! Enjoy both sign up bonuses.
Yes, I plan on opening up that one and a premier rewards gold. I have amex points (6k) from my amex blue and if i have a amex premier rewards gold, I can transfer those points to spg. i forgot the ratio but it's something! What do you suggest as a third card? We spend about $4k a month. I'm trying to rack up points to get free flights for yomim tovim and hopefully a mini getaway within the US.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Re: Chase Freedom
« Reply #232 on: February 19, 2012, 08:23:51 PM »
Yes, I plan on opening up that one and a premier rewards gold. I have amex points (6k) from my amex blue and if i have a amex premier rewards gold, I can transfer those points to spg. i forgot the ratio but it's something! What do you suggest as a third card? We spend about $4k a month. I'm trying to rack up points to get free flights for yomim tovim and hopefully a mini getaway within the US.

You can throw in an Ink Bold and a Continental/  United (or both). Don't apply for too many at one time though and don't forget about the min. spend that comes with some of the cards.

Offline DevoiriS

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 19, 2012, 08:26:10 PM »
You can throw in an Ink Bold and a Continental/  United (or both). Don't apply for too many at one time though and don't forget about the min. spend that comes with some of the cards.
Actually, I also wanted to open up a Marriott rewards. 50k bonus points plus one free night. What do you think?

Offline meshugener

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #234 on: February 19, 2012, 08:27:09 PM »
I think you should do the Sapphire (non-preferred 25K) and transfer the 25K to the Sapphire Preferred
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Chase Freedom
« Reply #235 on: February 19, 2012, 08:29:34 PM »
Actually, I also wanted to open up a Marriott rewards. 50k bonus points plus one free night. What do you think?

If that's what you want you can. Keep in mind you CAN transfer Ultimate Reward points to Marriott.

Offline DevoiriS

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Chase Freedom
« Reply #236 on: February 19, 2012, 08:31:27 PM »
If that's what you want you can. Keep in mind you CAN transfer Ultimate Reward points to Marriott.
I'm still new and pretty much only know about spg. I want to go on a vacation soon so I want to open up a cc that will make my vacation that much better and le$$

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 19, 2012, 08:33:51 PM »

Wrong thread.

Offline smurf

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 19, 2012, 09:35:13 PM »
Transferring amex mr to SPG isn't worth it the ratio I think is like 3-1

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #239 on: February 19, 2012, 11:20:39 PM »
Transferring amex mr to SPG isn't worth it the ratio I think is like 3-1

+1, better to simply open an AMEX SPG.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper