Topic Wiki

Click Here to get more details on this card and compare to other cards!

5% categories for fourth quarter of 2017:
Dept. stores and Walmart

There are three possibilities for how many points are earned. In the following examples, the effective rates are assuming you cash out the points for 1 cent each, but if you can transfer them to Sapphire Preferred or Ink, the effective rate could be much higher.
  • Cardholders without a Chase checking account
    1 base point per dollar for all spending. Additional 4 bonus points per dollar for spending up to $1500 in quarterly categories.
    Example 1: Spend $1 on a parking meter. Earn 1 point, an effective rate of 1%.
    Example 2: Spend $10 to refill a Metrocard in 2016 Q1. Earn 50 points, an effective rate of 5%.
    Example 3: Spend $100 to buy a Long Island Rail Road Peak Ten-Trip ticket between zones 1 and 3 in 2016 Q1. Earn 500 points, an effective rate of 5%.
    Example 4: Spend $1500 at 7-Eleven in 2016 Q1. Earn 7500 points, an effective rate of 5%.
  • Cardholders with a Chase checking account in older program
    1 base point per dollar plus 10% of the base points plus 10 points per transaction for all spending. Additional 4 bonus points per dollar for spending up to $1500 in quarterly categories.
    Example 1: Spend $1 on a parking meter. Earn 11.1 points, an effective rate of 11.1%.
    Example 2: Spend $10 to refill a Metrocard in 2016 Q1. Earn 61 points, an effective rate of 6.1%.
    Example 3: Spend $100 to buy a Long Island Rail Road Peak Ten-Trip ticket between zones 1 and 3 in 2016 Q1. Earn 520 points, an effective rate of 5.2%.
    Example 4: Spend $1500 at 7-Eleven in 2016 Q1. Earn 7660 points, an effective rate of 5.11%.
  • Cardholders with a Chase checking account in newer program
    1 base point per dollar for all spending. Additional 4 bonus points per dollar for spending up to $1500 in quarterly categories. Annual bonus of 10% of the total of base and bonus points (until February 2016).
    Example 1: Spend $1 on a parking meter. Earn 1 point on the next statement and .1 points at year's end, an effective rate of 1.1%.
    Example 2: Spend $10 to refill a Metrocard in 2016 Q1. Earn 50 points on the next statement and 5 points at year's end, an effective rate of 5.5%.
    Example 3: Spend $100 to buy a Long Island Rail Road Peak Ten-Trip ticket between zones 1 and 3 in 2016 Q1. Earn 500 points on the next statement and 50 points at year's end, an effective rate of 5.5%.
    Example 4: Spend $1500 at 7-Eleven in 2016 Q1. Earn 7500 points on the next statement and 750 points at year's end, an effective rate of 5.5%.

« Last edited by jj1000 on March 14, 2018, 12:39:32 PM »

Author Topic: Chase Freedom Master Thread  (Read 568348 times)

Offline Iz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
Re: Chase Freedom Master Thread
« Reply #2800 on: December 16, 2021, 08:07:33 PM »
Lev L'achim amongst many others
or any with PayPal key  ;)
Nice suggestion. Re PP Key, it seems like it is not live - at least for me. Am I missing something?

Offline JudahMcB

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: December 16, 2021, 10:07:09 PM »
Any צדקות that accept Paypal payments online?
Why not login to your PayPal account and search for charities? https://www.paypal.com/fundraiser/hub

Offline yungermanchik

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #2802 on: December 16, 2021, 10:29:03 PM »
Nice suggestion. Re PP Key, it seems like it is not live - at least for me. Am I missing something?
pp key still works for me, I think there was a specific time period when set-up worked...
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline Iz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: December 17, 2021, 06:17:14 AM »
Why not login to your PayPal account and search for charities? https://www.paypal.com/fundraiser/hub
Perfect! I found my son's yeshiva there.

Offline free123cc

• View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: December 18, 2021, 09:30:42 PM »

about 2 weeks ago just downgraded saphire preffered after a year to the freeom flex......
this quarter chase has a benefit for the freedom flex that you get 5 points per dollar on the top category spend.... and it stacks with the 3% category...so drugstores would technically get 7%, the 5+2 (the first point u dont get twice),...............was wondering if i go into local cvs/walgreens and buy 1500$ of amazon gift cards, so now i would be getting 7 points per dollar x 1500...

would chase know i bought gift cards and not regular items?
would chase care?
is there a risk of account being flagged or shut down?
and would they say they are not honoring the promo?

thanks

Offline free123cc

• View Profile
« Reply #2805 on: December 19, 2021, 01:18:05 AM »
why not just buy gc straight from Amazon using PayPal checkout

Amazon dosent work w PayPal

And I prefer the 7 points per dollar I would get in a drug store/pharmacy

Online herb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: December 19, 2021, 01:42:16 AM »
Amazon dosent work w PayPal

And I prefer the 7 points per dollar I would get in a drug store/pharmacy
whoops but still find somewhere that sells gc and excepts PayPal. This way u can stack with PayPal 5% and get 9 points per dollar
https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/wow-chase-adding-bonus-freedom-5x-category-stack-earn-9-points-per-dollar-paypal/

Offline free123cc

• View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: December 19, 2021, 03:08:12 AM »
whoops but still find somewhere that sells gc and excepts PayPal. This way u can stack with PayPal 5% and get 9 points per dollar
https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/wow-chase-adding-bonus-freedom-5x-category-stack-earn-9-points-per-dollar-paypal/

I’m Already maxed out with the standard 1500 of q4 categories…this is a different promotion of the top spend category

Offline mdv

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Marriott Titanium Hyatt Globalist Hilton Diamond UA silver DL silver AC 25k Avis PC Hertz PC National EE
« Reply #2808 on: December 19, 2021, 09:38:24 PM »
Can anyone answer this re  the top spend offer on freedom flex?

Is the top spend category determined by the top overall spend on your card or is it the top spend WITHIN the eligible reward categories of this promotion?

For example what if i spend 1800$ at Walmart and then $1500 on gas stations and no other spend
Will the gas qualify because its the top spend of those categories or not because i spent more at walmart?
Sorry I don't have any snarky line for this space

Offline WonderingYid

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: December 21, 2021, 06:15:54 PM »

Is the top spend category determined by the top overall spend on your card or is it the top spend WITHIN the eligible reward categories of this promotion?

For example what if i spend 1800$ at Walmart and then $1500 on gas stations and no other spend
Will the gas qualify because its the top spend of those categories or not because i spent more at walmart?
Try it and let us know.

Offline bluesky

• View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: December 23, 2021, 01:56:30 PM »

Anyone have an answer?

Also, how does paypal get you 9x? It is not on the top spend list for the extra 4x. A CSR checked with her supervisor who said we would not get the extra 4x even if the paypal charge is on the list (like grocery) since the CC would show up as paypal instead of the grocery. Is this correct?

Offline mdv

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Marriott Titanium Hyatt Globalist Hilton Diamond UA silver DL silver AC 25k Avis PC Hertz PC National EE
« Reply #2811 on: December 23, 2021, 02:26:45 PM »
I tried asking a chase rep and she said it's top spend within the eligible categories but I'm not sure she understood the question....
Sorry I don't have any snarky line for this space

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2812 on: December 23, 2021, 02:33:30 PM »

For example what if i spend 1800$ at Walmart and then $1500 on gas stations and no other spend. Will the gas qualify because its the top spend of those categories or not because i spent more at walmart?
Within the eligible categories of course.
Sure it will.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline bluesky

• View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: December 23, 2021, 03:18:08 PM »
How are paypal charges listed on a CC bill, paypal or name of grocery, (for instance)?

If I use paypal at a grocery (where the grocery is my top spend category), will I get the 5x+4×? CSR supervisor says T&C says no "double dips". 

I prefer to believe DDMS, of course.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 03:45:25 PM by bluesky »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2814 on: December 23, 2021, 03:27:45 PM »
If I use paypal at a grocery (where the grocery is my top spend category), will I get the 5x+4×? CSR supervisor says T&C says no "double dips".
Yes.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline bluesky

• View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: December 23, 2021, 03:55:46 PM »
Yes.
Thank you Dan! 

Now I just need to figure out which grocery accepts paypal (Stop & Shop doesn't) that also sells GCs.   :-\
Suggestions are welcomed.

Offline yungermanchik

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #2816 on: December 23, 2021, 04:05:53 PM »
Thank you Dan! 

Now I just need to figure out which grocery accepts paypal (Stop & Shop doesn't) that also sells GCs.   :-\
Suggestions are welcomed.
Do you have paypal key?
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline bluesky

• View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: December 24, 2021, 01:47:13 PM »
Do you have paypal key?
Yes, but it won't let me add a new CC number without verification.  Paypal is not allowing the few virtual phone numbers for receiving sms texts that I have tried. Any ideas?

Offline StoreLeor

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: January 13, 2022, 06:41:03 AM »
Did anybody receive the additional bonus points for the top spend category in Q4?
Any idea when they should post?

Offline free123cc

• View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: January 13, 2022, 10:04:01 AM »
Did anybody receive the additional bonus points for the top spend category in Q4?
Any idea when they should post?

was wondering the same thing. mine havent posted yet