Topic Wiki

Click Here to get more details on this card and compare to other cards!

5% categories for fourth quarter of 2017:
Dept. stores and Walmart

There are three possibilities for how many points are earned. In the following examples, the effective rates are assuming you cash out the points for 1 cent each, but if you can transfer them to Sapphire Preferred or Ink, the effective rate could be much higher.
  • Cardholders without a Chase checking account
    1 base point per dollar for all spending. Additional 4 bonus points per dollar for spending up to $1500 in quarterly categories.
    Example 1: Spend $1 on a parking meter. Earn 1 point, an effective rate of 1%.
    Example 2: Spend $10 to refill a Metrocard in 2016 Q1. Earn 50 points, an effective rate of 5%.
    Example 3: Spend $100 to buy a Long Island Rail Road Peak Ten-Trip ticket between zones 1 and 3 in 2016 Q1. Earn 500 points, an effective rate of 5%.
    Example 4: Spend $1500 at 7-Eleven in 2016 Q1. Earn 7500 points, an effective rate of 5%.
  • Cardholders with a Chase checking account in older program
    1 base point per dollar plus 10% of the base points plus 10 points per transaction for all spending. Additional 4 bonus points per dollar for spending up to $1500 in quarterly categories.
    Example 1: Spend $1 on a parking meter. Earn 11.1 points, an effective rate of 11.1%.
    Example 2: Spend $10 to refill a Metrocard in 2016 Q1. Earn 61 points, an effective rate of 6.1%.
    Example 3: Spend $100 to buy a Long Island Rail Road Peak Ten-Trip ticket between zones 1 and 3 in 2016 Q1. Earn 520 points, an effective rate of 5.2%.
    Example 4: Spend $1500 at 7-Eleven in 2016 Q1. Earn 7660 points, an effective rate of 5.11%.
  • Cardholders with a Chase checking account in newer program
    1 base point per dollar for all spending. Additional 4 bonus points per dollar for spending up to $1500 in quarterly categories. Annual bonus of 10% of the total of base and bonus points (until February 2016).
    Example 1: Spend $1 on a parking meter. Earn 1 point on the next statement and .1 points at year's end, an effective rate of 1.1%.
    Example 2: Spend $10 to refill a Metrocard in 2016 Q1. Earn 50 points on the next statement and 5 points at year's end, an effective rate of 5.5%.
    Example 3: Spend $100 to buy a Long Island Rail Road Peak Ten-Trip ticket between zones 1 and 3 in 2016 Q1. Earn 500 points on the next statement and 50 points at year's end, an effective rate of 5.5%.
    Example 4: Spend $1500 at 7-Eleven in 2016 Q1. Earn 7500 points on the next statement and 750 points at year's end, an effective rate of 5.5%.

« Last edited by jj1000 on March 14, 2018, 12:39:32 PM »

Author Topic: Chase Freedom Master Thread  (Read 558026 times)

Offline SPLP

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Chase Freedom
« Reply #240 on: February 20, 2012, 01:57:31 AM »
Maybe you should devote an hour or two reading dans , you will learn a great deal and then ask a few more questions , by doing this it will maximize what you will get from credit cards. a wealth of knowledge on dans
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 02:00:50 AM by SPLP »

Offline lybbtthl

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Barely anything these days...
« Reply #241 on: February 21, 2012, 02:19:11 AM »
OK, I just got a freedom account and I have a few questions: How does the 10 points per transaction with a checking account work? do I have to set it up? does it work with college checking? what about the rotating 5% categories, it said somewhere I have to enroll but I can't find a link? anything else I have to do for the standard 1% or other bonuses?

Thanks

Offline zlt123

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 21, 2012, 09:09:51 PM »
OK, I just got a freedom account and I have a few questions: How does the 10 points per transaction with a checking account work? do I have to set it up? does it work with college checking? what about the rotating 5% categories, it said somewhere I have to enroll but I can't find a link? anything else I have to do for the standard 1% or other bonuses?

Thanks
No you dont have to do anything for the 10 points per trans.  It happens automaticaly after 2-3 billing sycles And yes it works with chase collage checking and whan you go on chase.com you will be abble to register for the 5% catigories

Offline lybbtthl

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 21, 2012, 10:04:20 PM »
No you dont have to do anything for the 10 points per trans.  It happens automaticaly after 2-3 billing sycles And yes it works with chase collage checking and whan you go on chase.com you will be abble to register for the 5% catigories
thanks, didn't see links when i went to chase.com but i found dans post and i used his link

Offline DevoiriS

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 22, 2012, 09:51:11 PM »
Transferring amex mr to SPG isn't worth it the ratio I think is like 3-1
So what do you suggest?

Offline lybbtthl

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 22, 2012, 09:54:26 PM »
The freedom I got, even though it has a 5K line, it's still a regular Visa as opposed to a Visa Signature. any reason why they didn't give me a VS? and any practical differences? or just the standard advantages of VS over regular Visa?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #246 on: February 22, 2012, 10:06:34 PM »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #247 on: February 22, 2012, 10:08:46 PM »
So what do you suggest?
Don't transfer them to SPG, transfer them to AC, BA, DL, etc.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline DevoiriS

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 22, 2012, 10:14:45 PM »
I don't have any of those accounts.

Offline DevoiriS

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 22, 2012, 10:15:36 PM »
Wait, what's AC? and i just opened up a Delta miles card cuz i just flew delta. I can transfer it there?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 22, 2012, 10:33:54 PM »

Offline DevoiriS

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 22, 2012, 10:36:20 PM »
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=13317
So you open them, they're free.
Thanks! Add this to your wiki. I first looked there but couldn't find those abbreviations in the list. http://wiki.dansdeals.com/Acronyms

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 22, 2012, 10:38:36 PM »
Didn't realize anyone used the wiki ;)

Bear in mind that BA can book you on AA.  AC can book you on CO/UA/US, etc.  All those guys fly to MKE and YUL.

Offline compddd

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 22, 2012, 10:39:40 PM »
I just received the targeted $300 offer in the mail. Can I have 2 Freedom cards at the same time?

Offline DevoiriS

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 22, 2012, 10:43:49 PM »

Bear in mind that BA can book you on AA.  AC can book you on CO/UA/US, etc.  All those guys fly to MKE and YUL.
So I open a BA account just so I can fly AA using BA points? How does that work? Same with AC booking on CO, UA...
I don't get it.

Offline DevoiriS

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: February 22, 2012, 10:44:28 PM »

Meaning i don't get this whole affiliation... like how does it work?

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 22, 2012, 10:52:19 PM »
Meaning i don't get this whole affiliation... like how does it work?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airline_alliance

Airlines are partnered with other airlines, and also as groups of airlines, called alliances. You can typically earn/redeem miles with partner airlines.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline DevoiriS

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 22, 2012, 11:06:12 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airline_alliance

Airlines are partnered with other airlines, and also as groups of airlines, called alliances. You can typically earn/redeem miles with partner airlines.
Quite informative. Thanks. So basically, if you have points on one airline, you can book a flight on another airline that's part of the same alliance? What about not speaking of points. If you book on airline A that's part of an alliance that airline B is on, then ....? I am still trying to understand this fully.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 22, 2012, 11:58:21 PM »
Quite informative. Thanks. So basically, if you have points on one airline, you can book a flight on another airline that's part of the same alliance? What about not speaking of points. If you book on airline A that's part of an alliance that airline B is on, then ....? I am still trying to understand this fully.

For starters, if it was a paid ticket you can (typically) earn miles on airline B.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Name Changed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #259 on: February 23, 2012, 09:21:15 PM »
I just got a Chase Freedom for my spouse.

We have a chase checking account, and we are joint users. I want to link it to get the 10 points bonus per transaction.
I called Chase, and the rep told me that this cant be done on the CC offer that I signed up for (from the link HERE) The rep said that only the Freedom card that is applied for in a bank is eligible for this bonus,

Is this true?