Topic Wiki

Click Here to get more details on this card and compare to other cards!

5% categories for fourth quarter of 2017:
Dept. stores and Walmart

There are three possibilities for how many points are earned. In the following examples, the effective rates are assuming you cash out the points for 1 cent each, but if you can transfer them to Sapphire Preferred or Ink, the effective rate could be much higher.
  • Cardholders without a Chase checking account
    1 base point per dollar for all spending. Additional 4 bonus points per dollar for spending up to $1500 in quarterly categories.
    Example 1: Spend $1 on a parking meter. Earn 1 point, an effective rate of 1%.
    Example 2: Spend $10 to refill a Metrocard in 2016 Q1. Earn 50 points, an effective rate of 5%.
    Example 3: Spend $100 to buy a Long Island Rail Road Peak Ten-Trip ticket between zones 1 and 3 in 2016 Q1. Earn 500 points, an effective rate of 5%.
    Example 4: Spend $1500 at 7-Eleven in 2016 Q1. Earn 7500 points, an effective rate of 5%.
  • Cardholders with a Chase checking account in older program
    1 base point per dollar plus 10% of the base points plus 10 points per transaction for all spending. Additional 4 bonus points per dollar for spending up to $1500 in quarterly categories.
    Example 1: Spend $1 on a parking meter. Earn 11.1 points, an effective rate of 11.1%.
    Example 2: Spend $10 to refill a Metrocard in 2016 Q1. Earn 61 points, an effective rate of 6.1%.
    Example 3: Spend $100 to buy a Long Island Rail Road Peak Ten-Trip ticket between zones 1 and 3 in 2016 Q1. Earn 520 points, an effective rate of 5.2%.
    Example 4: Spend $1500 at 7-Eleven in 2016 Q1. Earn 7660 points, an effective rate of 5.11%.
  • Cardholders with a Chase checking account in newer program
    1 base point per dollar for all spending. Additional 4 bonus points per dollar for spending up to $1500 in quarterly categories. Annual bonus of 10% of the total of base and bonus points (until February 2016).
    Example 1: Spend $1 on a parking meter. Earn 1 point on the next statement and .1 points at year's end, an effective rate of 1.1%.
    Example 2: Spend $10 to refill a Metrocard in 2016 Q1. Earn 50 points on the next statement and 5 points at year's end, an effective rate of 5.5%.
    Example 3: Spend $100 to buy a Long Island Rail Road Peak Ten-Trip ticket between zones 1 and 3 in 2016 Q1. Earn 500 points on the next statement and 50 points at year's end, an effective rate of 5.5%.
    Example 4: Spend $1500 at 7-Eleven in 2016 Q1. Earn 7500 points on the next statement and 750 points at year's end, an effective rate of 5.5%.

« Last edited by jj1000 on March 14, 2018, 12:39:32 PM »

Author Topic: Chase Freedom Master Thread  (Read 557997 times)

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Chase Freedom
« Reply #260 on: February 23, 2012, 09:23:25 PM »
I just got a Chase Freedom for my spouse.

We have a chase checking account, and we are joint users. I want to link it to get the 10 points bonus per transaction.
I called Chase, and the rep told me that this cant be done on the CC offer that I signed up for (from the link HERE) The rep said that only the Freedom card that is applied for in a bank is eligible for this bonus,

Is this true?

False. You should try calling again.
It should link automatically after 1-2 billing cycles.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline smurf

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 23, 2012, 09:24:25 PM »
I just got a Chase Freedom for my spouse.

We have a chase checking account, and we are joint users. I want to link it to get the 10 points bonus per transaction.
I called Chase, and the rep told me that this cant be done on the CC offer that I signed up for (from the link HERE) The rep said that only the Freedom card that is applied for in a bank is eligible for this bonus,

Is this true?
Absolutely not. I applied online and have already begun getting the bonuses

Offline Name Changed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #262 on: February 23, 2012, 10:05:37 PM »
Absolutely not. I applied online and have already begun getting the bonuses
How long ago did you apply?
False. You should try calling again.
It should link automatically after 1-2 billing cycles.
Thanx....

Also, when I tried to link the account - the rep told me I cant, as I am the primary user on the account, not my wife. (She is just a joint user) ... But when I set up a login for the Freedom card the account was there, is that called linked or I have to make her the primary user on the bank account, and then get them to link it?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 10:37:48 PM by Name Changed »

Offline LAXtraveler

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis Preferred, National Executive, Hertz #1 Club Gold
« Reply #263 on: March 22, 2012, 05:59:11 PM »
Do most people on here transfer their Freedom UR into the SP UR right away or do you let them stay in the Freedom UR account until needed?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #264 on: March 22, 2012, 06:01:48 PM »
I move it over to SP periodically.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline LAXtraveler

• View Profile
  • Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis Preferred, National Executive, Hertz #1 Club Gold
« Reply #265 on: March 22, 2012, 06:02:20 PM »
I move it over to SP periodically.

Are you ever nervous they will stop allowing transfers between the accounts?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #266 on: March 22, 2012, 06:14:12 PM »
Are you ever nervous they will stop allowing transfers between the accounts?
Not particularly, but why chance it?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline LAXtraveler

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 22, 2012, 06:16:20 PM »
Not particularly, but why chance it?

Exactly, that's why I would think to do it every month when the new points get deposited and then keep a constant Freedom UR balance of 0.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 22, 2012, 06:21:29 PM »
Exactly, that's why I would think to do it every month when the new points get deposited and then keep a constant Freedom UR balance of 0.
I'm not that OCD about it, but I do it every couple months.

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #269 on: March 22, 2012, 06:30:58 PM »
When matching, do I get the 30k at once, or they add the 10k upon SM request, and the rest 20k get deposited automatically when the stat cycle ends?
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline elig770

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: March 22, 2012, 07:11:00 PM »
Is there an amount of time that's suggested to wait before asking to match? Should I wait til I get the cards and start spending or does it not really matter?

Offline joeb1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, CPA, Travel Agent
« Reply #271 on: March 22, 2012, 08:09:30 PM »
nah u can do it right away

Offline TC610

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 22, 2012, 11:04:55 PM »
When matching, do I get the 30k at once, or they add the 10k upon SM request, and the rest 20k get deposited automatically when the stat cycle ends?

Depends on when you request the match.  For me, I requested it before my initial 20k posted so I got 30k at once when my first statement closed.

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #273 on: March 23, 2012, 12:35:55 AM »
I am now before the end of first cycle, and I see 10k points. What does that mean?
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline TC610

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 23, 2012, 07:30:25 AM »
I guess it t means YMMV with Chase as far as when you receive the 10k points.  Which is probably why my Chase exclusive bonus points (the points I would have earned had my checking account been linked from day 1) were added right away for my Freedom card right after an SM, but for the Ink Bold I had to wait until my statement closed to get them.

Offline aj26

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 27, 2012, 04:19:49 PM »
I had some car repairs done at a sunoco repair station. If they run the charges to my freedom card, will it count as 5% for a gas station?

Offline jmail1

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 29, 2012, 01:43:58 PM »
This may be an insane question, but do you think there is a limit on how far they will go back for the Freedom bonus?  I had a Chase Rewards card that we originally got a few years ago for the 5% it offered on gas.   It was converted to a Freedom card that we haven't used in a while.  We currently have a business checking, personal checking, two individual Sapphire and a joint business Ink Bold with Chase. 

If I sent them a message about matching the current sign-up promo or we'll cancel the Freedom do you think they would match?  It's not a card we regularly use, but we would start using it to meet the spend of a promo.  We were already planning on using it to get the quarterly bonuses and transfer the UR points.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Chase Freedom
« Reply #277 on: March 29, 2012, 01:45:47 PM »
This may be an insane question, but do you think there is a limit on how far they will go back for the Freedom bonus?  I had a Chase Rewards card that we originally got a few years ago for the 5% it offered on gas.   It was converted to a Freedom card that we haven't used in a while.  We currently have a business checking, personal checking, two individual Sapphire and a joint business Ink Bold with Chase. 

If I sent them a message about matching the current sign-up promo or we'll cancel the Freedom do you think they would match?  It's not a card we regularly use, but we would start using it to meet the spend of a promo.  We were already planning on using it to get the quarterly bonuses and transfer the UR points.

Can't hurt to ask.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline oldguy

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 29, 2012, 02:02:10 PM »

They usually dont do fo a card thats open 90 days

Offline springles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 29, 2012, 02:18:27 PM »

I've had a freedom card for many years (was also converted) and last year I SM'd about getting a bonus like the current sign ups since I didnt get anything when I got the card.  They gave me 10,000.