Topic Wiki

Click Here to get more details on this card and compare to other cards!

5% categories for fourth quarter of 2017:
Dept. stores and Walmart

There are three possibilities for how many points are earned. In the following examples, the effective rates are assuming you cash out the points for 1 cent each, but if you can transfer them to Sapphire Preferred or Ink, the effective rate could be much higher.
  • Cardholders without a Chase checking account
    1 base point per dollar for all spending. Additional 4 bonus points per dollar for spending up to $1500 in quarterly categories.
    Example 1: Spend $1 on a parking meter. Earn 1 point, an effective rate of 1%.
    Example 2: Spend $10 to refill a Metrocard in 2016 Q1. Earn 50 points, an effective rate of 5%.
    Example 3: Spend $100 to buy a Long Island Rail Road Peak Ten-Trip ticket between zones 1 and 3 in 2016 Q1. Earn 500 points, an effective rate of 5%.
    Example 4: Spend $1500 at 7-Eleven in 2016 Q1. Earn 7500 points, an effective rate of 5%.
  • Cardholders with a Chase checking account in older program
    1 base point per dollar plus 10% of the base points plus 10 points per transaction for all spending. Additional 4 bonus points per dollar for spending up to $1500 in quarterly categories.
    Example 1: Spend $1 on a parking meter. Earn 11.1 points, an effective rate of 11.1%.
    Example 2: Spend $10 to refill a Metrocard in 2016 Q1. Earn 61 points, an effective rate of 6.1%.
    Example 3: Spend $100 to buy a Long Island Rail Road Peak Ten-Trip ticket between zones 1 and 3 in 2016 Q1. Earn 520 points, an effective rate of 5.2%.
    Example 4: Spend $1500 at 7-Eleven in 2016 Q1. Earn 7660 points, an effective rate of 5.11%.
  • Cardholders with a Chase checking account in newer program
    1 base point per dollar for all spending. Additional 4 bonus points per dollar for spending up to $1500 in quarterly categories. Annual bonus of 10% of the total of base and bonus points (until February 2016).
    Example 1: Spend $1 on a parking meter. Earn 1 point on the next statement and .1 points at year's end, an effective rate of 1.1%.
    Example 2: Spend $10 to refill a Metrocard in 2016 Q1. Earn 50 points on the next statement and 5 points at year's end, an effective rate of 5.5%.
    Example 3: Spend $100 to buy a Long Island Rail Road Peak Ten-Trip ticket between zones 1 and 3 in 2016 Q1. Earn 500 points on the next statement and 50 points at year's end, an effective rate of 5.5%.
    Example 4: Spend $1500 at 7-Eleven in 2016 Q1. Earn 7500 points on the next statement and 750 points at year's end, an effective rate of 5.5%.

« Last edited by jj1000 on March 14, 2018, 12:39:32 PM »

Author Topic: Chase Freedom Master Thread  (Read 563567 times)

Offline Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
Re: Chase Freedom
« Reply #440 on: May 10, 2012, 03:57:32 PM »
A report on another blog of calling a Chase #, and receiving the 30k offer, but only over the phone.

From Online Travel Review:
Well, it turns out that sometimes it’s best to pick up the phone. If you call Chase at 800-795-6307 (and ONLY that number), they’ll offer you the Chase Freedom card and 30,000 bonus points after $500 spend (remember, you have to have a Sapphire Preferred or Ink Bold card to turn the Freedom points into Ultimate Rewards points). I just called the number and verified that it’s still working. That’s better than any online deal on the Freedom right now.

Offline bubbles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: May 10, 2012, 09:39:29 PM »
Just completed my 1st month with freedom and I see the 20k bonus but it doesnt seem like I got the 5% for grocery stores. The rep I spoke with to activate the card said offered to enroll me in this quarters categories so I'm not sure why it's not coming up? Do they not post until end of quarter? If so when is that?

Just a heads up, I never ended up getting the first months bonus points. A quick sm after the next statement cleared it up quickly though

Offline SGF

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz President Circle
« Reply #442 on: May 11, 2012, 01:04:59 PM »
A report on another blog of calling a Chase #, and receiving the 30k offer, but only over the phone.

Well, it turns out that sometimes it’s best to pick up the phone. If you call Chase at 800-795-6307 (and ONLY that number), they’ll offer you the Chase Freedom card and 30,000 bonus points after $500 spend (remember, you have to have a Sapphire Preferred or Ink Bold card to turn the Freedom points into Ultimate Rewards points). I just called the number and verified that it’s still working. That’s better than any online deal on the Freedom right now.
is this case any different then other cases that the SP has to be davka mine or can it be someone elses SP account?

Would this offer also work if i apply online and ask them to match thru SM?

Offline Thingywingy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 11, 2012, 04:34:00 PM »
It has been mentioned that even if I dont have Saphire I can transfer to friends Saphire Card and then to my Airline account. Does this reqire changing address on either my or friends Freedom or Saphire account, or making the same change on my Airline ie. United account. Basically, can it be done officially or you have to play some shtick?
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #444 on: May 11, 2012, 04:47:41 PM »
The way you're defining "officially", then yes.

But officially that is not allowed.

And unofficially that seems to be a trigger for A/A.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: May 11, 2012, 05:15:19 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying you can transfer straight from your freedom card to someone else's sapphire and from someone elses sapphire, straight to my United all without changing any names or addresses on either of the accounts, yet it's not allowed officially?
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline steeeveknowsbest

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: May 11, 2012, 05:35:03 PM »
yes. you can. it transfers instantly as well.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #447 on: May 11, 2012, 05:52:29 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying you can transfer straight from your freedom card to someone else's sapphire and from someone elses sapphire, straight to my United all without changing any names or addresses on either of the accounts, yet it's not allowed officially?

Precisely.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: May 13, 2012, 03:46:56 AM »
So who said its not allowed officialy?  Im not sure what A/A stands for but Ill assume its something like financial review. Does make this kind of transfer cause A/A only when done in large amounts or even lets say 20000 UR points?

Offline Devorah

• View Profile
« Reply #449 on: May 13, 2012, 01:16:49 PM »
I applied for the Freedom, Sapphire & United cards with a 3BM at the beginning of April.  Got instant approval on the Sapphire, called recon and pushed the United through.  Decided to try to push the Freedom through too so called recon again on the 30th day from the date of the letter and got it approved after taking some credit from an old United card.  Tried to match to the 35K offer and was denied due to the offer no longer being available.  I replied that it may no longer be available but it was when I applied.  They responded:

"Thank you for taking the time to contact us again in regards to your first use premium.
I show the 35,000 first use premium offer expired early April 2012. I also have verified your account opened May 01, 2012, therefore after this offer was available. To remain fair and consistent, we are unable to honor your request to match the 35,000 point offer. "

I replied that although I was only approved on May 1st, I applied at the beginning of April so they should honor it and they responded:

"Thank you for advising us of the circumstances surrounding your account.
Should you meet the required purchase spend amount of $500.00 within 93 days of opening the account, we will honor your request of adding 15,000 reward points to your account. Simply reply to this email or call the number on the back of your card for the additional point adjustment."

Success!

Offline Yitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #450 on: May 13, 2012, 01:32:58 PM »
I have also found that communicating with Chase Cs works.

Offline koctail

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: May 25, 2012, 05:16:29 PM »

anyone else have any success doing this??

Offline koctail

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: June 01, 2012, 04:22:30 PM »
anyone else have any success doing this??

...ill answer my question. i called the 800# and they indicate  no longer accepting apps for this offer. that one is dead. if anyone has any links or info on a better offer than $100/10K UR points lemme know!

Offline steeeveknowsbest

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: June 08, 2012, 12:23:09 AM »
just wanted to update, that i applied about 6 weeks ago for the freedom 20k card bonus, got the card, spent $500, got the bonus, then sm'd for a match to 30k. I was denied because the offer is no longer around. I wrote this back:

Thank you Ailien for your clear and prompt response. It is
my contention that the 30k offer was in existence at the
time i signed up for the card.I therefore would like
to request that i may be matched to said offer even though
this offer is not currently available.
Thank you for your kind consideration.

and tada! today i received the extra 10k!
So it isn't dead after all ya just need to be persistent.

Offline meshugener

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #454 on: June 08, 2012, 12:54:17 AM »
Congrats!
HUSMA in action....
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline bruce

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: June 13, 2012, 12:59:47 AM »
2 questions regarding the Chase freedom.

1. I would like to apply for the Chase freedom for 10k UR points.
When I click on the app all I see is a $100 statement credit.
Where is the one for 10k UR points?

2. I have a Saphire Preferred card. How do I now get 10 points for every swipe of my freedom?
Will that happen automatically?

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #456 on: June 13, 2012, 01:20:30 AM »
2 questions regarding the Chase freedom.

1. I would like to apply for the Chase freedom for 10k UR points.
When I click on the app all I see is a $100 statement credit.
Where is the one for 10k UR points?

2. I have a Saphire Preferred card. How do I now get 10 points for every swipe of my freedom?
Will that happen automatically?
100 dollars means 10k points they just write the amount in dollars if you were to do that which you will not.

Once you get freedom and open bank account with chase you will get the 10 points per swipe.

Offline Yeki89

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: June 13, 2012, 01:30:59 AM »
just wanted to update, that i applied about 6 weeks ago for the freedom 20k card bonus, got the card, spent $500, got the bonus, then sm'd for a match to 30k. I was denied because the offer is no longer around. I wrote this back:

Thank you Ailien for your clear and prompt response. It is
my contention that the 30k offer was in existence at the
time i signed up for the card.I therefore would like
to request that i may be matched to said offer even though
this offer is not currently available.
Thank you for your kind consideration.

and tada! today i received the extra 10k!
So it isn't dead after all ya just need to be persistent.
same thing happened with my brother and the SP card.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #458 on: June 13, 2012, 01:41:48 AM »
same thing happened with my brother and the SP card.
thru sm or on phone?

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #459 on: June 14, 2012, 12:44:00 AM »
It has been mentioned that even if I dont have Saphire I can transfer to friends Saphire Card and then to my Airline account. Does this reqire changing address on either my or friends Freedom or Saphire account, or making the same change on my Airline ie. United account. Basically, can it be done officially or you have to play some shtick?

Does it say anywhere that it is officially not allowed? Does it only cause problems (A/A) when transferring large amounts or even a couple thousand points?