Topic Wiki

Click Here to get more details on this card and compare to other cards!

5% categories for fourth quarter of 2017:
Dept. stores and Walmart

There are three possibilities for how many points are earned. In the following examples, the effective rates are assuming you cash out the points for 1 cent each, but if you can transfer them to Sapphire Preferred or Ink, the effective rate could be much higher.
  • Cardholders without a Chase checking account
    1 base point per dollar for all spending. Additional 4 bonus points per dollar for spending up to $1500 in quarterly categories.
    Example 1: Spend $1 on a parking meter. Earn 1 point, an effective rate of 1%.
    Example 2: Spend $10 to refill a Metrocard in 2016 Q1. Earn 50 points, an effective rate of 5%.
    Example 3: Spend $100 to buy a Long Island Rail Road Peak Ten-Trip ticket between zones 1 and 3 in 2016 Q1. Earn 500 points, an effective rate of 5%.
    Example 4: Spend $1500 at 7-Eleven in 2016 Q1. Earn 7500 points, an effective rate of 5%.
  • Cardholders with a Chase checking account in older program
    1 base point per dollar plus 10% of the base points plus 10 points per transaction for all spending. Additional 4 bonus points per dollar for spending up to $1500 in quarterly categories.
    Example 1: Spend $1 on a parking meter. Earn 11.1 points, an effective rate of 11.1%.
    Example 2: Spend $10 to refill a Metrocard in 2016 Q1. Earn 61 points, an effective rate of 6.1%.
    Example 3: Spend $100 to buy a Long Island Rail Road Peak Ten-Trip ticket between zones 1 and 3 in 2016 Q1. Earn 520 points, an effective rate of 5.2%.
    Example 4: Spend $1500 at 7-Eleven in 2016 Q1. Earn 7660 points, an effective rate of 5.11%.
  • Cardholders with a Chase checking account in newer program
    1 base point per dollar for all spending. Additional 4 bonus points per dollar for spending up to $1500 in quarterly categories. Annual bonus of 10% of the total of base and bonus points (until February 2016).
    Example 1: Spend $1 on a parking meter. Earn 1 point on the next statement and .1 points at year's end, an effective rate of 1.1%.
    Example 2: Spend $10 to refill a Metrocard in 2016 Q1. Earn 50 points on the next statement and 5 points at year's end, an effective rate of 5.5%.
    Example 3: Spend $100 to buy a Long Island Rail Road Peak Ten-Trip ticket between zones 1 and 3 in 2016 Q1. Earn 500 points on the next statement and 50 points at year's end, an effective rate of 5.5%.
    Example 4: Spend $1500 at 7-Eleven in 2016 Q1. Earn 7500 points on the next statement and 750 points at year's end, an effective rate of 5.5%.

« Last edited by jj1000 on March 14, 2018, 12:39:32 PM »

Author Topic: Chase Freedom Master Thread  (Read 557982 times)

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Chase Freedom Master Thread
« Reply #1000 on: March 03, 2014, 12:13:22 PM »
Hi, I wonder if anyone can advise me.
I just saw today that Chase closed my freedom card with no warning. I have the card for a year, a bank account i dont use with them the money is just sitting there (so i can get the 10/10 bonus), and i have never missed a payment.

I called today and the csr sent me to a lender. she said i have high CL and my personal credit history is only 5 years. (I was AU for 4 years before then) and they decided I am too much of a credit risk. within the past 24 months i had 5 credit inquiries....     I said you just approved me last month for a CL increase which i did not request! i argued with her and she didnt budge. I asked to speak to a supervisor and after being on hold for a few minutes she said no one was available, but they would call within the next 24 hours. I'm also concerned that they closed it and even if they open it again they will not reinstate me into the grandfathered freedom awards program.

I just did an AOR last week for 3 new chase cards. as of now 1 is approved and 2 are pending 7-10 days, so i hope i got them all. the card they gave me has a 13,000 cl...

they are just all over the place here with different conflicting actions.
what should i do? any advice for a n00b?

Sometimes they will close an account they deem "inactive" to help approve new apps.

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: March 03, 2014, 12:44:11 PM »
But what about his grandfathered Freedom?  Would he be able to negotiate reopening it?  What should he offer to them? How should he approach the negotiations?
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: March 03, 2014, 12:47:41 PM »
But what about his grandfathered Freedom?  Would he be able to negotiate reopening it?  What should he offer to them? How should he approach the negotiations?

IME it's easy to get them to reopen the card but not to the old terms :-\

Offline Barryg

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: March 03, 2014, 12:57:28 PM »
Didn't know Freedom cards were grandfathered in. I thought the per swipe bonus was dead...

Offline mommy of two

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: March 03, 2014, 01:45:10 PM »
Sometimes they will close an account they deem "inactive" to help approve new apps.

i use my account all the time! as a matter of fact i knew something was wrong because my subscribe and save didnt want to go through, they were on my freedom card.

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: March 03, 2014, 02:19:06 PM »
Didn't know Freedom cards were grandfathered in. I thought the per swipe bonus was dead...
Apparently some lucky cards still have it.

Offline mommy of two

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: March 04, 2014, 10:43:06 AM »
So no advice? I just saw I was denied for the sapphire, should I try to call reconsideration and get that approved with this Mrs going on, or resolve this first?

Offline PETERP

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: March 04, 2014, 01:44:11 PM »
So no advice? I just saw I was denied for the sapphire, should I try to call reconsideration and get that approved with this Mrs going on, or resolve this first?

You would be surprised at how badly Chase communicates with itself . Why not try .

Offline mommy of two

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: March 05, 2014, 11:54:47 AM »
called again today, as i didn't receive a call back yesterday. The CSR supervisor was very surprised, but couldnt help. xfered me to Lending as she finally found a note its from their decision. They still refused to budge. they say my credit history isnt long enough, too much credit extended to me, agressive seeking of new credit is worrisome... and they are comfortable with their decision. should i concede defeat?

Offline HDS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: March 05, 2014, 11:58:53 AM »
Can you offer to move some credit from another card?

Offline Freddie

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: March 05, 2014, 12:01:50 PM »
This is a REALLY stupid question so please don't blast me!

After having the Freedom for about six months, I finally realized that the per-swipe bonus that everyone was raving about... doesn't exist anymore!

I've been putting all my parking meters and cans of soda on this card like a dope.

Here's my question... this card is NOT that great for everyday spend anymore, yes? Really it's just good for the quarterly bonus categories and since it has no AF, it's worth keeping.

Am I correct? Am I still missing something?

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: March 05, 2014, 12:05:25 PM »

After having the Freedom for about six months, I finally realized that the per-swipe bonus that everyone was raving about... doesn't exist anymore!

I've been putting all my parking meters and cans of soda on this card like a dope.

Here's my question... this card is NOT that great for everyday spend anymore, yes? Really it's just good for the quarterly bonus categories and since it has no AF, it's worth keeping.

Sorry but I will have to blast you....... YOU SHOULD NOT BE DRINKING SODA!!!

I only use it for the bonus categories

Offline HDS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: March 05, 2014, 12:10:28 PM »

+10  ;)

Offline lfas25

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: March 05, 2014, 12:10:34 PM »

Check you statement.. for some people it still does exist.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 12:14:45 PM by lfas25 »
I only paid 15% by switching to dansdeals

Offline Freddie

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: March 05, 2014, 12:14:43 PM »

Oh right, you're a dentist! What else shouldn't I be doing? Maybe you can start a thread on dental hygiene tips.

Check you statement.. foe some people it still does exist.

Trust me, I checked over and over.   :-[

Offline mommy of two

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: March 05, 2014, 12:27:38 PM »
Can you offer to move some credit from another card?

that is not the problem, the freedom was my only card with chase. i just did an AOR last week i think it was, and i know i was approved for 1, i'm not sure about the others yet. and then they just closed my freedom with no notice!

mind you unless they change their mind about the new card they gave me 13,000 cl and my freedom was 2500, but wtvr.

I'm so upset! I'm taking this personally, though i dont know why.

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: March 05, 2014, 12:29:10 PM »
that is not the problem, the freedom was my only card with chase. i just did an AOR last week i think it was, and i know i was approved for 1, i'm not sure about the others yet. and then they just closed my freedom with no notice!

mind you unless they change their mind about the new card they gave me 13,000 cl and my freedom was 2500, but wtvr.

I'm so upset! I'm taking this personally, though i dont know why.
retention dept?

Offline davidd75

• View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: March 05, 2014, 01:30:50 PM »
Stopped at Wawa gas station that has convience store as well and they sell Visa Gift cards($100 increments) also they sell Wawa gift cards as well.  You can then use Wawa gift card to pay for gas and attendant told me their cash and credit price always the same at all Wawa's and price was very good for NJ 3.35!  so this can be a alternative to 7-eleven(though not quite as good a OV's) for Visa gift cards but better yet if you are looking to maximize Freedom gas spending this quarter you can buy Wawa gifts cards for gas purchases in the future.  I checked Visa supplier list and they were listed as gas station merchant

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: March 05, 2014, 01:35:32 PM »
Stopped at Wawa gas station that has convience store as well and they sell Visa Gift cards($100 increments) also they sell Wawa gift cards as well.  You can then use Wawa gift card to pay for gas and attendant told me their cash and credit price always the same at all Wawa's and price was very good for NJ 3.35! so this can be a alternative to 7-eleven(though not quite as good a OV's) for Visa gift cards but better yet if you are looking to maximize Freedom gas spending this quarter you can buy Wawa gifts cards for gas purchases in the future.  I checked Visa supplier list and they were listed as gas station merchant
???
Each $100 visa gc has a fee of $5-6 .

Offline davidd75

• View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: March 05, 2014, 02:15:30 PM »
???
Each $100 visa gc has a fee of $5-6 .

I said not as good as 7-eleven for visa gift cards since they do not sell OV
but useful to buy Wawa gift cards for Freedom 5% bonus on gas spending if you need to maximize $1500 1rst quarter spending before March is over.