Topic Wiki

Click Here to get more details on this card and compare to other cards!

5% categories for fourth quarter of 2017:
Dept. stores and Walmart

There are three possibilities for how many points are earned. In the following examples, the effective rates are assuming you cash out the points for 1 cent each, but if you can transfer them to Sapphire Preferred or Ink, the effective rate could be much higher.
  • Cardholders without a Chase checking account
    1 base point per dollar for all spending. Additional 4 bonus points per dollar for spending up to $1500 in quarterly categories.
    Example 1: Spend $1 on a parking meter. Earn 1 point, an effective rate of 1%.
    Example 2: Spend $10 to refill a Metrocard in 2016 Q1. Earn 50 points, an effective rate of 5%.
    Example 3: Spend $100 to buy a Long Island Rail Road Peak Ten-Trip ticket between zones 1 and 3 in 2016 Q1. Earn 500 points, an effective rate of 5%.
    Example 4: Spend $1500 at 7-Eleven in 2016 Q1. Earn 7500 points, an effective rate of 5%.
  • Cardholders with a Chase checking account in older program
    1 base point per dollar plus 10% of the base points plus 10 points per transaction for all spending. Additional 4 bonus points per dollar for spending up to $1500 in quarterly categories.
    Example 1: Spend $1 on a parking meter. Earn 11.1 points, an effective rate of 11.1%.
    Example 2: Spend $10 to refill a Metrocard in 2016 Q1. Earn 61 points, an effective rate of 6.1%.
    Example 3: Spend $100 to buy a Long Island Rail Road Peak Ten-Trip ticket between zones 1 and 3 in 2016 Q1. Earn 520 points, an effective rate of 5.2%.
    Example 4: Spend $1500 at 7-Eleven in 2016 Q1. Earn 7660 points, an effective rate of 5.11%.
  • Cardholders with a Chase checking account in newer program
    1 base point per dollar for all spending. Additional 4 bonus points per dollar for spending up to $1500 in quarterly categories. Annual bonus of 10% of the total of base and bonus points (until February 2016).
    Example 1: Spend $1 on a parking meter. Earn 1 point on the next statement and .1 points at year's end, an effective rate of 1.1%.
    Example 2: Spend $10 to refill a Metrocard in 2016 Q1. Earn 50 points on the next statement and 5 points at year's end, an effective rate of 5.5%.
    Example 3: Spend $100 to buy a Long Island Rail Road Peak Ten-Trip ticket between zones 1 and 3 in 2016 Q1. Earn 500 points on the next statement and 50 points at year's end, an effective rate of 5.5%.
    Example 4: Spend $1500 at 7-Eleven in 2016 Q1. Earn 7500 points on the next statement and 750 points at year's end, an effective rate of 5.5%.

« Last edited by jj1000 on March 14, 2018, 12:39:32 PM »

Author Topic: Chase Freedom Master Thread  (Read 557945 times)

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Chase Freedom Master Thread
« Reply #1020 on: March 05, 2014, 03:05:04 PM »
I said not as good as 7-eleven for visa gift cards since they do not sell OV
but useful to buy Wawa gift cards for Freedom 5% bonus on gas spending if you need to maximize $1500 1rst quarter spending before March is over.

if that's your strategy, why limit it to wawa? why not just buy GCs to whichever gas station is closest to your house/work?

Offline PETERP

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: March 05, 2014, 03:45:37 PM »
that is not the problem, the freedom was my only card with chase. i just did an AOR last week i think it was, and i know i was approved for 1, i'm not sure about the others yet. and then they just closed my freedom with no notice!

mind you unless they change their mind about the new card they gave me 13,000 cl and my freedom was 2500, but wtvr.

I'm so upset! I'm taking this personally, though i dont know why.

I too once took it personal  :)

You have to emphasize that you  are not looking for additional credit , but want to take advantage of the wonderful benefits that Chase has so wisely
placed on their cards .

Tell them take $5k off the $13k CL and even lower your  CL to a total of $10K if they are uncomfortable till you establish a longer history with them  ,  but you  are  not aggressively looking for new credit .

After being turned down 3 x for a new card by offering to cancel an old one , someone gave me additional $5k credit without me asking for it .

Its really amazing the difference between some peoples desire to give you the card while others are adamant about absolutely not  giving it to you .

If the CSR sounds groutchy, hang up and try another one without even speaking a word

GL

Offline davidd75

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: March 05, 2014, 04:30:29 PM »
if that's your strategy, why limit it to wawa? why not just buy GCs to whichever gas station is closest to your house/work?

1)at least in new jersey Wawa price is cheaper than a lot of cash prices at other gas stations
2) not all gas stations have gifts cards available
3) I was at exxon the other day and they charged me credit price even with gift card; with wawa that will NEVER happen(for now) as they charge for cash and credit the same price

Offline Thingywingy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: March 05, 2014, 06:08:10 PM »
I have a 0% BT offer with a new Freedom card. Anyone know if they will let me do transfer to account with diiferent name? same name only secondary cardholder?
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline mommy of two

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: March 05, 2014, 08:41:05 PM »
You have to emphasize that you  are not looking for additional credit , but want to take advantage of the wonderful benefits that Chase has so wisely
placed on their cards .

Tell them take $5k off the $13k CL and even lower your  CL to a total of $10K if they are uncomfortable till you establish a longer history with them  ,  but you  are  not aggressively looking for new credit

that's a great point, so true, and I will say that. Csr was nice, lenders were very firm. :( Wish I could speak to a different dept. Will threatening to close my bank account help at all?

Offline Barryg

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: March 05, 2014, 08:52:24 PM »
I said not as good as 7-eleven for visa gift cards since they do not sell OV
but useful to buy Wawa gift cards for Freedom 5% bonus on gas spending if you need to maximize $1500 1rst quarter spending before March is over.
5 times points is good. 6% cash back + 10% store credit = 16% would be a lot better

Offline davidd75

• View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: March 06, 2014, 09:10:08 AM »
5 times points is good. 6% cash back + 10% store credit = 16% would be a lot better

where do get this?

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: March 06, 2014, 09:32:50 AM »
I have a 0% BT offer with a new Freedom card. Anyone know if they will let me do transfer to account with diiferent name? same name only secondary cardholder?
Doesn't it come with balance transfer checks?  I assume you can make out the check to any cc co to pay any balance.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline Barryg

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: March 06, 2014, 10:40:25 AM »
where do get this?
Buy $100 worth of gas gift cards at Dave's markets in OH with a BC Preferred card. Get 6% cash back and $10 to spend in store...

Offline PETERP

• View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: March 06, 2014, 11:38:17 AM »
that's a great point, so true, and I will say that. Csr was nice, lenders were very firm. :( Wish I could speak to a different dept. Will threatening to close my bank account help at all?

No . Always keep it friendly

Offline mommy of two

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: March 06, 2014, 02:04:06 PM »

No . Always keep it friendly

Okay, will try another call on Monday iyh, unless a supervisor calls me back...

Offline Thingywingy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: March 06, 2014, 02:51:13 PM »
Doesn't it come with balance transfer checks?  I assume you can make out the check to any cc co to pay any balance.
I haven't received any on this account. Can you request the checks?
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: March 06, 2014, 09:00:56 PM »
I haven't received any on this account. Can you request the checks?
PUTPAC

Offline mommy of two

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: March 07, 2014, 09:37:24 AM »
Okay, will try another call on Monday iyh, unless a supervisor calls me back...

In other sad news, I just got my new ink plus card in the mail and they cancelled that one too....  >:(

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: March 07, 2014, 10:34:49 AM »
In other sad news, I just got my new ink plus card in the mail and they cancelled that one too....  >:(
:(
They seem to have decided that you're not a good credit risk.
Call and beg for a tiny CL on the freedom?
It may be time to admit defeat. :-\

Get a copy of your credit report.  Check that there's nothing there harming you.

Offline mommy of two

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: March 09, 2014, 12:09:31 AM »
:(
They seem to have decided that you're not a good credit risk.
Call and beg for a tiny CL on the freedom?
It may be time to admit defeat. :-\

Get a copy of your credit report.  Check that there's nothing there harming you.

I'm still going to try on Monday again, didn't receive a call from supervisor... I hope I'll make some headway with taking a different strategy. My cl wasn't high to begin with, but I'm going to try. I'm scared what this fiasco did to my credit score... I'll check it Monday too iyh.

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: March 09, 2014, 12:53:19 AM »
I'm still going to try on Monday again, didn't receive a call from supervisor... I hope I'll make some headway with taking a different strategy. My cl wasn't high to begin with, but I'm going to try. I'm scared what this fiasco did to my credit score... I'll check it Monday too iyh.
I actually was worried that there's something in the report to scare Chase.  Get the report.  Score's not so important right now.

Offline mommy of two

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: March 14, 2014, 10:37:38 AM »
so I tried on tuesday. xfered to lending. the rep was really nice and patient. first I asked for an explanation of all the reasons on the letter. as i tried arguing with what she was explaining she said I havent done my own personal review of account, i'm only explaining what is says on the letter and they are generic so there can be contradictions.... (! wtvr.) Eventually i asked her to do her own review. she was very thorough and said she cant change anything herself, but she can make recommendations and ask for it to be reviewed, and that is the most she can do. she told me to call back on monday, and by then they should be able to give me an answer and i wouldnt have to wait for the letter to come. we'll see what happens! as of today, friday it is still closed. I feel like this is my last shot on the matter, so I'm hoping for good news. have a great shabbos and a freilichin Purim! 

ps, i found this thread that discusses this situation. posting for others who may not find it because they dont know what its called. http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=11216.0

Offline mommy of two

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: March 14, 2014, 10:41:18 AM »
I actually was worried that there's something in the report to scare Chase.  Get the report.  Score's not so important right now.

i got the report on monday and dont see anything worrisome that i can see. i believe it is just chase being conservative. 5 years history, highish cl considering all my cards, medium income... etc. classic Chase A/A case unfortunately. pity i didnt know anything about it till it happend to me. I would have avoided my recent 3bm

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: March 18, 2014, 09:08:31 AM »
PSA: You can activate Q2 now.
Quaerite et Invenietis.