Author Topic: Rubashkin freed from prison.  (Read 59772 times)

Offline stbaum

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Rubashkin freed from prison.
« Reply #255 on: December 21, 2017, 09:52:26 AM »

Care to explain for us that canít read/understand a word of that?
My greatest achievement? I am fluent in FRIENDS quotes

Offline username

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #256 on: December 21, 2017, 10:00:06 AM »
Care to explain for us that can’t read/understand a word of that?
the Gemara offers a parable to one who was incarcerated in prison, and people would say to him: We promise, we will release you tomorrow and give you much money. He says to them: I beseech you, release me today and I ask for nothing.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 10:19:34 AM by username »
^^^

Offline meme

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 21, 2017, 10:17:33 AM »
Lakewood tomorrow night 8:30 pm at lake terrace.
Cancelled/Delayed to next week

Offline zale

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 21, 2017, 10:28:03 AM »

Although the Torah is everlasting, things were different back then. Prison could mean certain death, especially for a Jew. This is the reason we bench gomel.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #259 on: December 21, 2017, 10:39:37 AM »
Care to explain for us that canít read/understand a word of that?
sorry bou that.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used to start a religious discussion.

Offline CS1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, MarriottSPGPlat Feb2020
« Reply #260 on: December 21, 2017, 11:11:59 AM »
Not to be sticky or create popcorn in any way, but was there ever a single individual celebrated like this in 770 since the Rebbe's petirah?

this is not a celebration of an individual. This is a celebration of an outright anti-semitic trial and 27 year decree that would never have had to happen if not for a raid on which no charges or convictions of illegal/underage immigrants occurred as a result. The celebration is the "Padah B'SHalom" (peaceful liberation) as SMR explained last night, was without fighting or forcing. A commutation from the president via legal . Therefore it is a community and world-wide Jewish celebration, including the last day of chanukah and going into the Hei Teves celebration in honor of the fact that the legal gov't entities recognized that the specialized Chabad seforim belong to the Chassidim as a whole, and not to individual family members.

NEW $16.99 price for 3-pk on Amazon Prime: http://bit.ly/3pkFreeShippingBelgianChocolateChips

Offline chaimmayer

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 21, 2017, 11:17:41 AM »
Today, we are all one ^-^
Not to SF in particular but the general sentiment.  B"H the achdus was there the whole time.  The misnagdim advocated for him, visited him, wrote letters etc. 
the achdus started over 8 years ago in this one.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 21, 2017, 11:20:04 AM »
This is a celebration of an outright anti-semitic trial and 27 year decree that would never have had to happen if not for a raid on which no charges or convictions of illegal/underage immigrants occurred as a result.
Rejoice in his release and stop trying to rewrite history.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline CS1

• View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, MarriottSPGPlat Feb2020
« Reply #263 on: December 21, 2017, 11:40:02 AM »
Rejoice in his release and stop trying to rewrite history.

the fact is that removing 380+ employees from one's packing plant via Obama-gov't paid bussing (May 2008) would crash any business for eternity.

Any owner would have closed up shop immediately. There would be no point in trying to recover. However he tried very hard to keep things running as smoothly as possible.

In addition to tons of meat and food that the community would not have, he also built up local schools, apartment buildings, and many Postville business ventures. Therefore he tried to fix the impossible re-building as best as he could financially in order to keep everyone afloat: http://qctimes.com/news/local/a-year-after-agriprocessors-raid-postville-still-struggles/article_ca5b36ba-3d0d-11de-a14b-001cc4c03286.html
NEW $16.99 price for 3-pk on Amazon Prime: http://bit.ly/3pkFreeShippingBelgianChocolateChips

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 21, 2017, 11:44:47 AM »
the fact is that removing 380+ employees from one's packing plant via Obama-gov't paid bussing (May 2008) would crash any business for eternity.

Any owner would have closed up shop immediately. There would be no point in trying to recover. However he tried very hard to keep things running as smoothly as possible.

In addition to tons of meat and food that the community would not have, he also built up local schools, apartment buildings, and many Postville business ventures. Therefore he tried to fix the impossible re-building as best as he could financially in order to keep everyone afloat: http://qctimes.com/news/local/a-year-after-agriprocessors-raid-postville-still-struggles/article_ca5b36ba-3d0d-11de-a14b-001cc4c03286.html
I have nothing against this individual and believe all the great things said here about him. You playing the anti-Semite card is totally unfair. All the way up to and including the supreme court they agreed with the outcome.

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 21, 2017, 11:51:42 AM »
I have nothing against this individual and believe all the great things said here about him. You playing the anti-Semite card is totally unfair. All the way up to and including the supreme court they agreed with the outcome.

The Supreme court didnít agree nor disagree. They simply didnít take the case. There were much more attention-grabbing cases on the docket at the time.

This was a sticky situation. Overruling a federal judge has implications on the Judicial system whether or not the judge is corrupt.

Iowa in particular is a state in play for both Republicans and Democrats. Nobody wants to piss people off there. From what I understand, it took a LOT of convincing to get Trump to do this.

Online shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 21, 2017, 11:57:56 AM »
If you believe that people are sentenced unjustly, put your money where your mouth is an advocate on behalf of even 1 person serving an unjust amount of time for a non-violent drug offence. Here's a good place to start: https://www.alternet.org/drugs/15-people-rotting-prison-life-drug-crimes-didnt-hurt-anybody

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 21, 2017, 12:29:55 PM »
If you believe that people are sentenced unjustly, put your money where your mouth is an advocate on behalf of even 1 person serving an unjust amount of time for a non-violent drug offence. Here's a good place to start: https://www.alternet.org/drugs/15-people-rotting-prison-life-drug-crimes-didnt-hurt-anybody

I'm not sure I understand the logic to this "all or nothing" approach. Frankly, it sounds very bitter.

When your family celebrates your birthday, do you demand that they celebrate everyone in the world who has a birthday on the same day? Maybe we shouldn't celebrate engagement parties and weddings because your friends are caught up in the shidduch crisis?

This is a man that gave a tremendous amount to Jewish establishments around the world with an open heart. Nobody that knows him well has a bad word to say about him. He was given an unjust sentence and they felt the need to advocate on his behalf and did so for years and years to no avail. He finally got out and they are celebrating.

Sure, other people have been unjustly imprisoned, but why and how does that affect this story?

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 21, 2017, 12:32:51 PM »
I'm not sure I understand the logic to this "all or nothing" approach.
I will take a wild guess that is addressing the elephant in the room.

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 21, 2017, 12:37:04 PM »
Three strikes laws are the cause of most of these. If SCOTUS could rule them unconstitutional that would solve this issue. However, drug crimes are not victimless. If your kid was the buyer on the other side of most of these $20 transactions you would have an issue with it. So please spare us the phony advocacy. When you stand up at a kiddush the next time you see an underage kid drinking or a teenager smoking pot then I'll buy in.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.