Author Topic: Amex " Member Since"  (Read 4698 times)

Offline smurf

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
Amex " Member Since"
« on: July 18, 2011, 08:06:29 PM »
Looking over my credit report i realized that the two amex cards I opened back in april were reported as accounts opened 15 months ago which was before I even got my first amex card. Turns out amex reported the month that I applied and the year that I opened my first card; my "member since" year.
 The possible benefits of this are an increase in the average age of accounts as opposed to a decrease. Also if you do a multiple app you won't get flagged for opening many recent accounts because they'll all be predated.
 I think this is standard for amex because others on the forum have reported similar experiences. My question is do I have to keep my first amex card open in order to maintain my member since year? Or will it stay as long as I have one card open?

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Amex " Member Since"
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 08:45:28 PM »
Looking over my credit report i realized that the two amex cards I opened back in april were reported as accounts opened 15 months ago which was before I even got my first amex card. Turns out amex reported the month that I applied and the year that I opened my first card; my "member since" year.
 The possible benefits of this are an increase in the average age of accounts as opposed to a decrease. Also if you do a multiple app you won't get flagged for opening many recent accounts because they'll all be predated.
 I think this is standard for amex because others on the forum have reported similar experiences. My question is do I have to keep my first amex card open in order to maintain my member since year? Or will it stay as long as I have one card open?

I just noticed the same except my Platinum that I opened in March is reporting open since 2007 :O I have no idea where they got that date from as I wasn't even 18 at the time and definitely didn't have a card with them back then. Odd thing is the website says member since 2007 but the card itself says 2011...

Offline smurf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 08:53:28 PM »
I just noticed the same except my Platinum that I opened in March is reporting open since 2007 :O I have no idea where they got that date from as I wasn't even 18 at the time and definitely didn't have a card with them back then. Odd thing is the website says member since 2007 but the card itself says 2011...
were you an au on someone else's account back then?

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 08:55:55 PM »
were you an au on someone else's account back then?

Nope became an AU in 2009 on an AMEX card that was opened in 2008. But that wasn't even real AMEX its the Citi AA Amex... I mean I'm not complaining but I can't seem to figure it out :-/

Offline dans fan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 10:31:28 PM »
its amex thing

Offline Learner-Earner

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 10:35:59 PM »
well I cant tell you from personal experience but my friend had a AmEx card that he canceled in 2007 and when he got approved for the platinum this year the card said member since '04(the year he sign up for his now cancelled card).

Offline smurf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 11:01:21 PM »
well I cant tell you from personal experience but my friend had a AmEx card that he canceled in 2007 and when he got approved for the platinum this year the card said member since '04(the year he sign up for his now cancelled card).
cool
how did it show  on his credit report?

Offline andrew

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 07:21:16 AM »
does anyone else have experience with closing down their first amex card?

Offline bubbles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 11:05:44 PM »

so does this mean that I can apply for an amex card and then cancel the current one i have and my average age won't go down? has anyone confirmed that the member since date is what shows up on the CR?

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 11:45:21 PM »
I am under the impression that even if you close the original amex it will not affect the age of your account on your CR, provided you have other AMEX cards. I think I've read something to that effect.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 11:53:27 PM »
I am under the impression that even if you close the original amex it will not affect the age of your account on your CR, provided you have other AMEX cards. I think I've read something to that effect.

is there any difference between charge cards and reg cards? and does this apply even for the amex spg or jetblue cards?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 02:06:17 PM »
is there any difference between charge cards and reg cards? and does this apply even for the amex spg or jetblue cards?

Not sure about reg and charge cards... but why would it not apply to spg or jetblue?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 02:16:30 PM »
Not sure about reg and charge cards... but why would it not apply to spg or jetblue?

thought I remembered hearing somewhere that there might be a difference with their co-branded cards. would anyone that has multiple AMEX cards be able to check their CR any confirm anything being said here?

Offline dans fan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 02:19:47 PM »
i had with spg that i was a member since i got orig spg card but i cant confirm anything about cr

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, 02:22:47 PM »
I have multiple AMEX cards and just checked my CR.

My jetblue card (opened a couple years ago and since closed) has the same "opened" date as my original AMEX (a non co-branded credit card).

Offline bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 02:28:16 PM »
I have multiple AMEX cards and just checked my CR.

My jetblue card (opened a couple years ago and since closed) has the same "opened" date as my original AMEX (a non co-branded credit card).

Thanks!

Offline PETERP

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 02:47:11 PM »
I have multiple Amex cards. How do I check my CR WITHOUT exposing myself to some more spam , or 30 day trial, remember to cancel PITA?

Does it come free and secure from Amex platinum personal ?

Offline smurf

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 02:49:12 PM »
I have multiple Amex cards. How do I check my CR WITHOUT exposing myself to some more spam , or 30 day trial, remember to cancel PITA?

Does it come free and secure from Amex platinum personal ?
get your free annual credit report

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 04:50:20 PM »
My credit report shows my platinum card as opened since 2006... 2006 is when I created a login at americanexpress.com but I didn't have any AMEX (nor any) CC's back then, my first AMEX card was the Platinum card in April 2011...

Offline bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2011, 04:55:37 PM »
My credit report shows my platinum card as opened since 2006... 2006 is when I created a login at americanexpress.com but I didn't have any AMEX (nor any) CC's back then, my first AMEX card was the Platinum card in April 2011...

You can make a login without a card?