Author Topic: Brussels, Belgium Master Thread  (Read 60252 times)

Offline gartm

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Brussels, Belgium Master Thread
« Reply #240 on: May 17, 2018, 03:25:21 PM »
Planning trip to AMS then LON via Belgium (Eurostar). We are willing to to do a night or two in either Antwerp or Brussels. Is Fort Breendonk worth visiting?

Offline Zevi16

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 17, 2018, 03:29:38 PM »
I haven't been through this whole thread so i'm not sure if it was mentioned but growing up my family used to say that the Atomium is awesome

Offline Thingywingy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 30, 2018, 12:09:58 AM »
I'm considering stopping for 10 hours (7:45am to 6:05PM) next Monday. Should be enough time o go to Ghent and/or Bruges? Is it worth taking a guided tour or just take bus/train there and walk around...? Any recommendation on how to get there?

the grand place, the manneken pis, the atomium and mini europe. you can also buy some lace
With time for only one, is Ghent and Bruges more worth my time?

Is it ok to walk around with a Yamuka? or would it be better to wear a cap?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 12:22:22 AM by Thingywingy »
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline ludmila

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #243 on: July 30, 2018, 12:55:57 AM »
I'm considering stopping for 10 hours (7:45am to 6:05PM) next Monday. Should be enough time o go to Ghent and/or Bruges? Is it worth taking a guided tour or just take bus/train there and walk around...? Any recommendation on how to get there?
With time for only one, is Ghent and Bruges more worth my time?

IME it is ok.
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #244 on: July 30, 2018, 03:25:18 PM »

It's always better to wear a cap. What advantage is there to wear a yarmulka?

Offline LETSGOCUSTOM

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
    • LetsGoCustom.com
« Reply #245 on: July 30, 2018, 03:29:41 PM »
Not getting attacked is a benifit
Moishe
@ LetsGoCustom.com

Offline Thingywingy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 30, 2018, 04:48:43 PM »
Thanks. Is 10 hours enough time to see Bruges and Ghent? If I only have time for one, which is more impressive?
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Online nafnaf12

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 27, 2018, 02:52:53 PM »
Couldn't find any thread for Antwerp.
Any new local pizza stores open tonight?
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Offline YesThatsMe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 08, 2018, 10:43:14 AM »
I know this is a long shot...

We have a family Simcha coming up in Antwerp. Does anyone know of a for hire bus/coach company in Antwerp?

We need for local trips, airport, etc

Group of 45 people. I can't find anything online!

Offline saw50st8

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 23, 2019, 06:18:11 AM »
I just came back from Brussels. We took a late Flixbus from Amsterdam to Brussels which was half the price of the slow train and 1/4 price of the faster train.

We stayed at the Dominican Hotel which is a Marriott property. The hotel is clean and very gothic. They play creepy church music in the elevators and the hallways are dark. The rooms are adequately sized but small and had a small refrigerator. Breakfast was not included for status members but there was free coffee in the lobby. It is only a category 4 and well located near the central train station so it was a good choice.

Our first day in Brussels we went to Bruges and Ghent. Both were incredible and well worth a visit. We took the elevator to the top of the Belfry in Ghent and the views were breathtaking. We did not have time to go inside the old castle that has a museum. It is definitely a solid half day and you could probably do a full day there. Bruges was also well worth a visit but much more touristy. Every store there was a cafe/souvenir shop. I think they also must have really good PR because the city is dubbed the "Venice of the North" but the canals are not really prominent. We took a boat ride on the canals which was really worthwhile.

We at dinner at O Delicis Alice. The food was tasty and well priced. The staff was all really friendly and help translate the french menu for us stupid Americans who only know a few french words.

Our initial plan was to go to Paris for the day on the speed train, but by the time we were able to book, tickets were 200 euro per person and didn't make sense to spend that for the day. Instead we did a half day tour of Brussels and half day in Antwerp. Brussels basically has very little to see unless you want to see a statue of a boy peeing or the EU buildings. Antwerp was interesting to walk around the medieval area and we rode the Ferris wheel. We also saw the views from the MAS building and walked around the train station area. We flew out from BRU at 6 am the next morning.

My honest opinion of Brussels is that it feels like the dementors live there. It is a very dreary city. While there are plenty of things to fill your time with, I would say see Bruges and Ghent and then move on, unless you have a reason to be in Belgium otherwise. You can probably even do Bruges and/or Ghent as a day trip from Amsterdam but it would be a very long day.

I'll try to post some pictures later. If there is anything specific anyone wants, let me know.

Offline shaulyaakov

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 23, 2019, 07:52:30 AM »
I just came back from Brussels. We took a late Flixbus from Amsterdam to Brussels which was half the price of the slow train and 1/4 price of the faster train.

We stayed at the Dominican Hotel which is a Marriott property. The hotel is clean and very gothic. They play creepy church music in the elevators and the hallways are dark. The rooms are adequately sized but small and had a small refrigerator. Breakfast was not included for status members but there was free coffee in the lobby. It is only a category 4 and well located near the central train station so it was a good choice.

Our first day in Brussels we went to Bruges and Ghent. Both were incredible and well worth a visit. We took the elevator to the top of the Belfry in Ghent and the views were breathtaking. We did not have time to go inside the old castle that has a museum. It is definitely a solid half day and you could probably do a full day there. Bruges was also well worth a visit but much more touristy. Every store there was a cafe/souvenir shop. I think they also must have really good PR because the city is dubbed the "Venice of the North" but the canals are not really prominent. We took a boat ride on the canals which was really worthwhile.

We at dinner at O Delicis Alice. The food was tasty and well priced. The staff was all really friendly and help translate the french menu for us stupid Americans who only know a few french words.

Our initial plan was to go to Paris for the day on the speed train, but by the time we were able to book, tickets were 200 euro per person and didn't make sense to spend that for the day. Instead we did a half day tour of Brussels and half day in Antwerp. Brussels basically has very little to see unless you want to see a statue of a boy peeing or the EU buildings. Antwerp was interesting to walk around the medieval area and we rode the Ferris wheel. We also saw the views from the MAS building and walked around the train station area. We flew out from BRU at 6 am the next morning.

My honest opinion of Brussels is that it feels like the dementors live there. It is a very dreary city. While there are plenty of things to fill your time with, I would say see Bruges and Ghent and then move on, unless you have a reason to be in Belgium otherwise. You can probably even do Bruges and/or Ghent as a day trip from Amsterdam but it would be a very long day.

I'll try to post some pictures later. If there is anything specific anyone wants, let me know.
Did you rent a car to get the Ghent? I looked at it as a day trip from Amsterdam and it was far.

Offline saw50st8

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 23, 2019, 09:26:20 AM »
Did you rent a car to get the Ghent? I looked at it as a day trip from Amsterdam and it was far.

We took a bus tour from Brussels because it seemed most convenient.

It's a 3 hour train ride or drive from Amsterdam to Bruges. Far but not crazy if you have no reason to stay in Brussels.

If you are continuing on to Paris, it would make sense to sleep in Brussels.

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 28, 2019, 08:41:23 PM »
If I have one day in Belgium, would you recommend staying in Brussels or Antwerp?

Offline saw50st8

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 31, 2019, 06:19:30 AM »
If I have one day in Belgium, would you recommend staying in Brussels or Antwerp?

What do you want to see? Where are you coming from?

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 31, 2019, 07:10:53 AM »

Coming from NY, planning to spend a day in Belgium and the rest of the week in Amsterdam. Want to see the top tourist attractions. 

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: May 31, 2019, 07:11:09 AM »

Coming from NY, planning to spend a day in Belgium and the rest of the week in Amsterdam. Want to see the top tourist attractions. 

Offline saw50st8

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 31, 2019, 08:37:45 AM »

Stay in Brussels and go to Bruges and/or Ghent. Antwerp and Brussels are not necessary to tour around. If you really want to tour in one of them, I think Antwerp is nicer.

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 02, 2019, 12:58:58 AM »

Any particular reason you chose the Dominican Hotel rather than the Marriott Grand Palace.

Offline saw50st8

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 03, 2019, 06:26:45 AM »
Any particular reason you chose the Dominican Hotel rather than the Marriott Grand Palace.

It's a category 4 and we used our credit card certificates. I haven't upgraded my cards yet.

We met people who were staying at the Marriott who said there is currently a lot of construction right around there but they liked the hotel.

Offline Minyan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 20, 2019, 12:38:48 AM »
Would you go from London to Brussels for the day?  Is it worth it?  Or maybe leave at night and sleep on Brussels and go back to London the following night?