Author Topic: Free Ticket to Israel??  (Read 2894 times)

Offline Side incomer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Free Ticket to Israel??
« on: July 19, 2011, 08:48:41 AM »
Hello all forum members:

I purchased a ticket to Israel for the upcoming yomim tovim. Being under the impression from DD that tickets aren’t meant to cost money, but I didn’t want to use miles for this, because I will get gold status with Delta after flying a paid flight (targeted promotion from Delta).
Instead, I made a goal for myself to get this ticket pay for itself, meaning that I should earn back the money I spent on it, and fly for FREE.

So, here I’m up to:
The ticket was $1099 (sale beginning of June).
I had a $100 voucher from my last Delta trip. But, since I didn’t purchase via Delta.com I wasn’t able to use it. Instead I purchased by Amex travel center, and they matched me that voucher with a $100 credit on my account (after faxing in that voucher - that was BTW already converted to 15,000 miles with Delta directly). Making it to $1000.
I earned 19,600 MR points on this ticket itself, 11,000 for participating in the promo they launched in May - June (ID: 6571), giving 10 MR points per dollar spent. An additional 3,300 for purchasing with the premier rewards gold card (earning triple rewards for travel), and an additional 3,300 for buying on Amex travel site (giving double MR), and an additional 3,000 as a compensation for not receiving the above bonus immediately. A total of: 19,600. Transferred immediately to BA with the 50% promo, so I got 29,200 in total. Sold out privately at a rate of 1.67 = $487. Making it to $513.
I applied a week later for the Amex Delta card (40K bonus, $75 credit for Delta purchases, 2 skyclub vouchers). Since I was not about using this for any Delta purchase, I SM’d that I purchased recently a Delta ticket, and I won’t fly anymore within the first 6 months of the card. So, they gave me manually that $75. Applied to that ticket. Making it to $438.
The earning mileage on this flight is about 11,500, that I sell for 1.3 = $150. Making it to $288.

Now I need some future suggestions how to knock of this $288. Any advice???
They recently changed the flight from 7:25 to 10:25 (after the purchase), I’m thinking if there’s any way where to squeeze out some $$$ for this. :) ;) Lol

After all $288 for a coach ticket to Israel is not that much expensive, especially that I’m earning for that Gold status with Delta. But nothing comes near the definition of the word: “FREE”, as we all know.  :) :) :) :)

Advice & opinions please….
Side income is the most solid income... בדוק ומנוסה

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Re: Free Ticket to Israel??
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 08:54:24 AM »
That's an interesting way of looking at things.

I worked for 20 years earning a nice salary, paid off the mortgage and now have a house for free...  ;)

Offline Side incomer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 09:01:50 AM »
That's an interesting way of looking at things.

I worked for 20 years earning a nice salary, paid off the mortgage and now have a house for free...  ;)
Don't worry, not my whole life works like this. Just this specific ticket. ;)
BTW, my house is paid off as well :o

Offline ashers

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 01:37:06 PM »
Following your logic I need to buy 6 tickets from London to Tel aviv
I am trying to figure out what card to put it on
If I purchase them on my Amex Gold do I get triple points for travel (even if its not purchased through Amex travel center)?
Does purchasing them on Amex Plat give me any benefit over the Gold?
it CAN be done!

Offline Side incomer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 02:51:36 PM »
Following your logic I need to buy 6 tickets from London to Tel aviv
I am trying to figure out what card to put it on
If I purchase them on my Amex Gold do I get triple points for travel (even if its not purchased through Amex travel center)?
Does purchasing them on Amex Plat give me any benefit over the Gold?
Premier reward gold would give you 3 points per dollar even on Travel that wasn't booked thru Amex travel center.

On the ticket itself you won't have any benefit more from the platinum (at least what I know, even the baggage protection you have on the gold, and for 6 people you're covered automatically 3,000 per luggage that gets lost).

Offline ashers

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 03:27:59 PM »
Thanks
Any other tips on how to make this $3,500 trip benefit me in the most ways possible?
it CAN be done!

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 07:19:38 PM »
Amex offered you 10 points per dollar spent anywhere, or only on travel?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Side incomer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 07:58:54 PM »
Amex offered you 10 points per dollar spent anywhere, or only on travel?
No, they had run a promotion for 10 MR points per dollar spent on "delta" spending. and this was separate from their usual travel bonuses.

BTW, people were able to claim these points even if they haven't registered for this offers. (something like Insite ;))

Offline doublejay

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 10:57:19 PM »
A total of: 19,600. Transferred immediately to BA with the 50% promo, so I got 29,200 in total. Sold out privately at a rate of 1.67 = $487. Making it to $513.

Something doesn't make sense. BA miles don't go for anything close to 1.67 cents. Especially when selling under 100k.

What are you smoking?  ???

Offline Side incomer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 08:47:24 AM »
Something doesn't make sense. BA miles don't go for anything close to 1.67 cents. Especially when selling under 100k.

What are you smoking?  ???
Did you get in touch with all travel agents in the world??? :P :P :P
 I am selling this in Europe for a travel agent that offers this price. Well, BA miles are actually worth much more. the reason why people here in USA dropped the prices are because there is so much from that flying around. But in europe I bet you could find, at least if you access to any travel agent over there.

BTW, that additional 29,500 were added to an existing account that had 171,000, making it to 200,000.

Now, it makes sense?? :P :P

Offline Side incomer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 02:36:17 PM »
Hello all forum members:

I purchased a ticket to Israel for the upcoming yomim tovim. Being under the impression from DD that tickets aren’t meant to cost money, but I didn’t want to use miles for this, because I will get gold status with Delta after flying a paid flight (targeted promotion from Delta).
Instead, I made a goal for myself to get this ticket pay for itself, meaning that I should earn back the money I spent on it, and fly for FREE.

So, here I’m up to:
The ticket was $1099 (sale beginning of June).
I had a $100 voucher from my last Delta trip. But, since I didn’t purchase via Delta.com I wasn’t able to use it. Instead I purchased by Amex travel center, and they matched me that voucher with a $100 credit on my account (after faxing in that voucher - that was BTW already converted to 15,000 miles with Delta directly). Making it to $1000.
I earned 19,600 MR points on this ticket itself, 11,000 for participating in the promo they launched in May - June (ID: 6571), giving 10 MR points per dollar spent. An additional 3,300 for purchasing with the premier rewards gold card (earning triple rewards for travel), and an additional 3,300 for buying on Amex travel site (giving double MR), and an additional 3,000 as a compensation for not receiving the above bonus immediately. A total of: 19,600. Transferred immediately to BA with the 50% promo, so I got 29,200 in total. Sold out privately at a rate of 1.67 = $487. Making it to $513.
I applied a week later for the Amex Delta card (40K bonus, $75 credit for Delta purchases, 2 skyclub vouchers). Since I was not about using this for any Delta purchase, I SM’d that I purchased recently a Delta ticket, and I won’t fly anymore within the first 6 months of the card. So, they gave me manually that $75. Applied to that ticket. Making it to $438.
The earning mileage on this flight is about 11,500, that I sell for 1.3 = $150. Making it to $288.

Now I need some future suggestions how to knock of this $288. Any advice???
They recently changed the flight from 7:25 to 10:25 (after the purchase), I’m thinking if there’s any way where to squeeze out some $$$ for this. :) ;) Lol

After all $288 for a coach ticket to Israel is not that much expensive, especially that I’m earning for that Gold status with Delta. But nothing comes near the definition of the word: “FREE”, as we all know.  :) :) :) :)

Advice & opinions please….

Update:
I was able to have them apply the 5,000 Delta promo (ID: 6760) to my account, although the ticket was booked a month before, but I told them that since I still didn't travel i feel missed out, and they should try to satisfy me, bla bla bla. an additional 5,000. So the ticket for now should be near $200.

Offline ChAiM'l

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 02:51:07 PM »
Now, it makes sense?? :P :P

No, because any agent in Europe could buy miles in the US for US prices...

Offline Side incomer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 03:38:35 PM »
No, because any agent in Europe could buy miles in the US for US prices...
Not at all:
1. not all European agents are logged in Dansdeals.com etc etc, and know what's going on in this continent.
2. If they want to get US prices, they must have some agent here to deal with those people.

3. I got hold of an agent like this, regardless if it makes sense or not. I have no interest in proving you that. my only interest is to get those cash into my pocket. simple.