Author Topic: Japan Master Thread  (Read 130105 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Japan Master Thread
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2011, 03:56:05 AM »
He (The Meshichist) is a very nice guy and he goes out of his way to help people
Indeed, from my limited interaction with the official chabad shliach and the mishichist shliach back in 2005 I would have to say that the mishichist shliach will go out of his way to help more and (religious fanaticism aside) seems like a genuine nice guy.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2011, 03:35:17 PM »
Going to have two half days in Tokyo.
First, 5:05am-3:15pm but I arrive HND, depart NRT.
Second, 8:45am-12:45am, arrive NRT, depart HND.

If I plan on heading into the city, how much time (practically, not acc to Google Maps) would I need to leave for the airport swap?
Are both airports serviced by train?

With the given time, what would you recommend seeing?

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2011, 07:53:14 PM »

If I plan on heading into the city, how much time (practically, not acc to Google Maps) would I need to leave for the airport swap?

I have not been there yet but based on my research for upcoming trip nrt is serviced by narita express which runs to Tokyo station. Takes an hour. The imperial palace is a five min walk from Tokyo station. There are trains to haneda but don't know which check hyperdia.com. Asukasa is supposed to be cool and dan recommends akihabara which is the electronic Capitol.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2011, 08:05:15 PM »

This is supposed to be a major early morning attraction: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsukiji_fish_market
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2011, 09:33:12 PM »
This is supposed to be a major early morning attraction: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsukiji_fish_market
That's where ill probably head first.
Unfortunately, I'm gonna miss the actual auctions but should still be able to catch the market which is supposed to be very cool.

E also suggested Toyota Mega Web, I'd say a must for any car fans.
To test drive the cars you need an international license.
It also mentions having to be able to understand Japanese.

Offline E

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2011, 09:53:34 PM »
E also suggested Toyota Mega Web, I'd say a must for any car fans.
To test drive the cars you need an international license.
It also mentions having to be able to understand Japanese.
there was a also a showroom in the connecting mall with an amazing classic car showroom/museum also in that area is the museum of emerging sciences which is supposedly very cool although they close at 5 and we got there to late to be allowed in... There is a free shuttle bus in the area that brings you to all the local attractions (fuji TV headquarters famous building, massive arcade spot, some water park and other shopping)   there are also many other attractions here..  link

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2011, 04:45:32 AM »
Taxiing in LAX, heading for HND, seating in Delta Economy Comfort (yikes! Economy...)which isn't half bad. Leg room is sufficient. Outlets and USB plugs will insure everything is charged when we touch down.
Have an entire row to myself so gonna catch some zzz's before a big day in Tokyo.
Managed to get business class pillows and blankets because economy ones give me a rash ;) 

( If the plane blows up, you know it was me using the electronic device ;) )

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2011, 04:28:30 PM »
Just so you know, Haneda has free wireless under network TIAT.  Rabbi Edery's sushi is great, his chef actually picked me up from the airport in April and he is well trained, picks out the fish himself and everything.  Tsukiji is fantastic but you're getting in a little too late to catch any of the real action.  Still get to see more fish than you ever have in your life though.

Narita is a solid hour from anywhere you would need to go (Narita Express is a rip off, stick with the Keisei Skyliner, faster and better). 

From Haneda everything is 30-45 minutes.  If you're going to Akihabara (which is really worthwhile especially if you like electronics/or are a gamer) you're better off taking the Monorail to Hamamatsucho and transferring to the Yamanote (bright green) or Keihin Tohoku (blue).

If you're going towards Shibuya you're going to want to take the Keikyu Line towards Shinagawa and transfer there to the Yamanote.  Shibuya Crossing is an unbelievable sight, tens of thousands of people crossing a street every few minutes, youtube it, the Starbucks on the 2nd floor across from the station is a good place to watch.  Also, right near Shibuya is Harajuku, the hip fashion district where you'll see some pretty wacky get-ups.  On the main street out of Harajuku station is a 100 yen shop (equivalent of a dollar store) called Daiso with some really quirky and cheap Japanese goods.

Meiji Jingu Shrine and Asakusa Temple are pretty impressive but theres an avodah zarah concern.  My Rabbi said as long as you go in with a big tourist group it shouldn't be an issue as nobody would think you're going in there to actually pray.

If you're a history buff, it is well worth it to check out Yasukuni Shrine and especially the museum attached to it.  It is run by Japanese nationalists and gives a revisionist history of Japan's militarism from the 18th century onwards.  Lots of cool relics from WWII, planes, kamikaze fighters, cannons, etc.

Whatever you do, don't take the train from the airport!  Rabbi Edery can tell you some funny stories about guys running into his house with cab drivers chasing after them with the bill!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 04:32:30 PM by cuddrew »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2011, 05:05:24 PM »
Great report-thanks!

When I was in Japan in '05 the shliach in Kobe bought us unlimited train passes which were great.  Worked on train, bullet trains, subway, etc.
The Narita express was very convenient IIRC.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2013, 12:14:55 AM »
What can I do with a 9 hour layover? Which trains and where to go? TIA!

ETA- Flying in and out of NRT.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 12:29:08 AM by jj1000 »
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2013, 01:13:15 AM »
You can take the train to Tokyo which is about 50 min IIRC. Quite confusing as not many ppl speak english but you will figure it out. What time will you land?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2013, 01:15:27 AM »
As odd as it sounds, it's relatively hard to find ATMs in Tokyo and many places (including the subway) do not accept cc. Make sure you leave the airport with enough cash.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2013, 01:23:35 AM »
You can take the train to Tokyo which is about 50 min IIRC. Quite confusing as not many ppl speak english but you will figure it out. What time will you land?
Land 7:40am leave 5PM
As odd as it sounds, it's relatively hard to find ATMs in Tokyo and many places (including the subway) do not accept cc. Make sure you leave the airport with enough cash.
Interesting. Thanks!

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2013, 01:53:50 AM »
Land 7:40am leave 5PM Interesting. Thanks!
That is good it gives you the daytime. You can go to Asakusa, which is reachable by subway once you get to the main train station in Tokyo, forgot which line (may be the Ginza line). That is the old Tokyo, lots of cool architecture and ppl running around in long japanese robes etc. There is a huge temple there which we did not go into of course. Then from there you can catch a subway to Akihabara, which is this huge electronic store, about 7 stories high with everything digital and then some. You can go up Tokyo tower to see the city from above, I was there at night. The ppl though are the best part. Anyone who knew any English when I asked them directions instead of telling me where to go they would walk me until I found it. This happened every single time and often it would take them out of their way by a good ten minuted. They are all very sweet and friendly and you should have a great time.

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2013, 10:28:34 AM »
Best bet for finding ATM's is in any 7-11 shop

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2013, 11:54:28 AM »
+1 was funny seeing a 7-11 tilll I realized it has nothing in common with the ones here.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2013, 12:30:20 PM »
Dont take foreign credit cards in my multiple infuriating experiences.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2013, 12:33:22 PM »
Dont take foreign credit cards in my multiple infuriating experiences.
Not even atm debit cards?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2013, 01:10:10 PM »
Not even atm debit cards?
Tried, no go.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2013, 01:12:06 PM »
Tried, no go.
So Airport exchange it is. How much do I need for the day?