Author Topic: Japan Master Thread  (Read 130392 times)

Offline shmebeble

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Japan Master Thread
« Reply #460 on: April 26, 2017, 10:32:06 AM »
Why would you need Globalist to enjoy the PH??
My point is assuming no free breakfast or even an upgraded room.
But I just found a globalist to book my Regency C+P, so hoping for upgrade and breakfast

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: April 26, 2017, 10:34:54 AM »
My point is assuming no free breakfast or even an upgraded room.
But I just found a globalist to book my Regency C+P, so hoping for upgrade and breakfast
Why not consider the Andaz? I loved that hotel!

Offline shmebeble

• View Profile
« Reply #462 on: April 26, 2017, 10:37:29 AM »
Why not consider the Andaz? I loved that hotel!
no C+P and I am splurging in other areas of this trip, so happy to save a bit here

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #463 on: April 26, 2017, 10:40:04 AM »
Highly doubt HR is buying you breakfast.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline PieRSquare

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: April 26, 2017, 06:07:27 PM »
The HR with points and cash used to be a steal.

You'll be very close to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building so make sure to check out the free observation deck.  There are also "free" tours that leave from the visitors center there.  You're expected to pay the tour guide's travel costs, but it's a great deal for an English tour that only sets you back a few bucks.

Offline shmebeble

• View Profile
« Reply #465 on: April 26, 2017, 06:14:27 PM »
The HR with points and cash used to be a steal.

You'll be very close to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building so make sure to check out the free observation deck.  There are also "free" tours that leave from the visitors center there.  You're expected to pay the tour guide's travel costs, but it's a great deal for an English tour that only sets you back a few bucks.
Thanks, I booked with C+P. Why is it no longer a steal?
In any case, happy with my choice for now.

Offline PieRSquare

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: April 26, 2017, 06:17:02 PM »
Thanks, I booked with C+P. Why is it no longer a steal?
In any case, happy with my choice for now.
It may still be, I just haven't booked it in a few years. Glad to know it hasn't changed categories!

Offline raccah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 28, 2017, 11:06:41 AM »
Hey guys has anyone here traveled to Japan recently? What WIFI/SIM option did you use? There are tons of WIFI pocket options along with some NOW available voice SIM options as well. I will be doing data mostly with some voice calls. has anyone done this recently? Did u use VOIP options on Android phone and get data-only hotspot, or voice/data SIM? TIA

Offline kangarruu

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 28, 2017, 12:19:54 PM »
Hey guys has anyone here traveled to Japan recently? What WIFI/SIM option did you use? There are tons of WIFI pocket options along with some NOW available voice SIM options as well. I will be doing data mostly with some voice calls. has anyone done this recently? Did u use VOIP options on Android phone and get data-only hotspot, or voice/data SIM? TIA

T-Mobile free data and $0.20/minute calling.

/end

Offline raccah

• View Profile
« Reply #469 on: April 28, 2017, 12:35:27 PM »
Ok so, I do not have t mobile, are u recommending I open at mobile account for 1 month

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: April 28, 2017, 12:39:04 PM »
Ok so, I do not have t mobile, are u recommending I open at mobile account for 1 month
That's exactly what I did a few years ago. They don't have contracts (if you bring your own device) so you can cancel after 1 month with no fees.

Offline shmebeble

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: April 28, 2017, 12:42:13 PM »
That's exactly what I did a few years ago. They don't have contracts (if you bring your own device) so you can cancel after 1 month with no fees.
how much is it for one month?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: April 28, 2017, 12:48:26 PM »
how much is it for one month?
Depends on what you want, but I think for just 1 line it's around $50 including taxes. Check their site for details.

Offline PieRSquare

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 28, 2017, 04:35:40 PM »
I use T-mobile and it works great in Japan.  Occasionally I have to manually switch the network to Softbank from NTT Docomo, but it's a minor inconvenience for int'l  data.

You can get a prepaid simple for probably $10 a gig or rent a pocket wifi. Lots of AirBnB hosts throw in a pocket wifi for free.

If you're really trying to skate, there are a lot of wifi Hotspots and a tourist wifi network. I'll try to find the link after Shabbos.

Offline PillanSmye

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 30, 2017, 08:59:45 AM »
In Tokyo I stayed at the Sheraton Miyako.
I'm staying at the Sheraton Miyako as I type this and I think this place is horrible.

When I arrived, I was guided past a checkin line to the SPG Plat desk.  But no one ever came over. After the line was gone, I was asked to go back to the regular check in counter.  Had I waited in line I would have been finished 10 minutes faster.

I was upgraded to a Deluxe room and it seems like it's 15 years old.

I woke up late and hurried to the Executive Lounge for breakfast, only to be told it's against hotel rules to be in my slippers that are "only for the room".  However flip flops are acceptable. They made me go back and put on my Havianas flip flops

I got a note under my door that said if I wanted my room made up, I had to call them before 1600 otherwise there would be no housekeeping services available.  I was going to call them a couple hours before 1600 but the fact they give you a hard cutoff is ridiculous.

I gave housekeeping laundry and pressing at 1010.  When I got back to my room after dinner my laundry wasn't here.  I called the front desk and was told since I turned in the laundry after 1000 they were holding it, but they would bring it to my room as a courtesy.  Literally they had done the laundry but weren't going to bring it to my room until tomorrow evening if I hadn't inquired.

Before now I gave the Westin Kansas City marks as the worst Starwood property I've stayed at, but now the KC property gets moved to second place.

I stay at Starwood properties 75-100 nights/yr and it's pretty bad when a Japanese hotel gets blown out of the water by the 10 or 12 properties I've stayed at in mainland China.

The only bright spot is I got my 2018 Plat status tonight.

Offline Aerial Dag

• View Profile
« Reply #475 on: April 30, 2017, 03:21:28 PM »
I woke up late and hurried to the Executive Lounge for breakfast, only to be told it's against hotel rules to be in my slippers that are "only for the room".  However flip flops are acceptable. They made me go back and put on my Havianas flip flops

FYI this sounds more like a culture thing than a bad hotel policy. At some places I stayed in Japan they would have had a heart attack if I wore my shoes in my room so it makes sense that they would be offended if you wore your room slippers outside of your room, thereby dirtying your room. Having said that, it was much more common in a Ryokan or someone's home than a conventional hotel so I agree that it's odd.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #476 on: April 30, 2017, 09:01:07 PM »
There's nothing special about the Sheraton Miyako other than it's convenience for Orthodox Jews thanks to manual keys and close proximity to Chabad for Shabbos services and meals. We didn't have any service requests as there's not much we needed from them on our 1 night stay there.

Happo-en garden around the corner was nice though.

We left for the PH as soon as Shabbos ended and were thrilled with it.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline PieRSquare

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: April 30, 2017, 09:44:31 PM »
FYI this sounds more like a culture thing than a bad hotel policy. At some places I stayed in Japan they would have had a heart attack if I wore my shoes in my room so it makes sense that they would be offended if you wore your room slippers outside of your room, thereby dirtying your room. Having said that, it was much more common in a Ryokan or someone's home than a conventional hotel so I agree that it's odd.
+1

As Dan said the upside of the Sheraton is that it's convenient to Chabad and you can use points. There are plenty of other hotels in the city otherwise.

Japanese people typically have shoes just for the bathroom and many times there are note cards explaining that the slippers are for in room use only.  This is definitely cultural and shouldn't be taken personally.

As far as timing of things, the clock is king in Japan. All in all it sounds like things worked out and they were generally accomodating, but I also don't think that the cleaning schedule or laundry delivery are atypical experience for a wide variety of Japanese hotels.

Offline raccah

• View Profile
« Reply #478 on: May 02, 2017, 11:48:36 AM »
Hello Folks,

I know about Chana's place, but is there a place where you can buy things, like chips, nosh, wine (NOT grape juice - but actual wine)? I saw they list a supermarket that has some USA stuff with a hechsher and they say wine, but my guess is it is the scary Manischewitz, or who knows what? Anyway, just wondering thx!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: May 02, 2017, 12:31:29 PM »
Hello Folks,

I know about Chana's place, but is there a place where you can buy things, like chips, nosh, wine (NOT grape juice - but actual wine)? I saw they list a supermarket that has some USA stuff with a hechsher and they say wine, but my guess is it is the scary Manischewitz, or who knows what? Anyway, just wondering thx!
Costco has US products, but not wine. BYOB.