Author Topic: Japan Master Thread  (Read 131757 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Japan Master Thread
« Reply #720 on: April 29, 2023, 10:41:00 AM »

There is also the Suntory Yamazaki Distillery tour not too far away. https://www.suntory.com/factory/yamazaki/

Miyajima is a picturesque island to spend the night with lots of ryokan/traditional style inns although I can't imagine any that take points. During the day, it's ok but feels very much like a tourist trap with lots of selfie-stick wielding people. At night, you have the whole island to yourself including stunning views of the floating Torii gate. There is a place where you can learn calligraphy, tea ceremony and kimono wearing that is surprisingly authentic/not kitschy. https://okeiko-japan.com/en

In Hiroshima, visiting the Atom Bomb Dome is a poignant experience you will never forget. A little further out, there is a nice day trip to a rabbit-filled island called Okunoshima. Its origins are also in WWII. https://voyapon.com/rabbit-island-hiroshima/
Thanks!
Yamazaki has been full for a while unfortunately.

The calligraphy lesson says "Activity take place in 300-year-old Zen temple." Is the temple active? I'm assuming that's a no-go?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: April 29, 2023, 11:07:00 AM »
I visited back in 2018 so take this with a grain of salt but I don't believe the building where they do the activities themselves is a temple. It seemed a very typical Japanese style farmhouse with tatami mat rooms. There was a reception at the front that took credit card. That being said, in doing some quick googling it looks like where they do the activities is on the grounds of a temple but that's not unusual in Japan. Religious groups are often large landowners. The staff were all Japanese women dressed in kimono. The house itself possessed no religious connotations that I recall.

On visiting temples/shrines, Rabbi David Horwitz at YU provides a nice write-up that although not authoritative should help point you in the right direction. http://www.yutorah.com/lectures/lecture.cfm/720745/rabbi-david-horwitz/halakhah-in-the-land-of-the-rising-sun-challenges-and-strategies/ He goes over the differences between Shinto/Buddhist and temple grounds vs shrines themselves.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #722 on: April 29, 2023, 11:51:19 AM »
I visited back in 2018 so take this with a grain of salt but I don't believe the building where they do the activities themselves is a temple. It seemed a very typical Japanese style farmhouse with tatami mat rooms. There was a reception at the front that took credit card. That being said, in doing some quick googling it looks like where they do the activities is on the grounds of a temple but that's not unusual in Japan. Religious groups are often large landowners. The staff were all Japanese women dressed in kimono. The house itself possessed no religious connotations that I recall.

On visiting temples/shrines, Rabbi David Horwitz at YU provides a nice write-up that although not authoritative should help point you in the right direction. http://www.yutorah.com/lectures/lecture.cfm/720745/rabbi-david-horwitz/halakhah-in-the-land-of-the-rising-sun-challenges-and-strategies/ He goes over the differences between Shinto/Buddhist and temple grounds vs shrines themselves.
Seems to be sold out, so moot for now.
But thanks for your help!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: April 30, 2023, 02:55:40 AM »
Who wants to come to Japan on Tuesday to split a kosher omakase Japanese meal from a celebrity chef ;D

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: April 30, 2023, 06:15:41 AM »
I would consider it if anyone else is and would want to do some sightseeing around Japan after.

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: April 30, 2023, 09:42:48 AM »
Who wants to come to Japan on Tuesday to split a kosher omakase Japanese meal from a celebrity chef ;D
Meal is Tuesday night?
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline tavster

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 65
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LY TP
« Reply #726 on: April 30, 2023, 09:49:35 AM »
So 2 days notice for a diner in Japan?  ::)
You don't plan ahead or you don't want people to be able to join?  ;)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: April 30, 2023, 10:00:43 AM »
So 2 days notice for a diner in Japan?  ::)
You don't plan ahead or you don't want people to be able to join?  ;)

I can't be the only one that books international flights within an hour of departure ;D

Plus, Japan just dropped their PCR requirements!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: April 30, 2023, 10:05:15 AM »
I can't be the only one that books international flights within an hour of departure ;D

Plus, Japan just dropped their PCR requirements!

Offline tavster

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 65
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LY TP
« Reply #729 on: April 30, 2023, 10:24:46 AM »

IINM flights from Europe to Japan are extra long these days given the closing of Russian airspace

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: April 30, 2023, 12:28:20 PM »
It's a pretty quick trip from LA, to bad I can't come on Tuesday

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• View Profile
« Reply #731 on: April 30, 2023, 10:55:47 PM »
I'm down. Tokyo or bust! Might even bring the eyshes chayil.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: April 30, 2023, 11:20:17 PM »
Leaving the PH Kyoto now. What a hotel, sad to leave this place!

Offline theyankel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: April 30, 2023, 11:48:40 PM »
back for shabbos ?

Offline myb821

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: May 01, 2023, 12:06:56 AM »
Anyone know how ot buy tickets to the tokyo giants baseball team if they are sold out online.

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• View Profile
« Reply #735 on: May 01, 2023, 02:12:22 AM »
Anyone know how ot buy tickets to the tokyo giants baseball team if they are sold out online.
Tokyo Dome is the worst place in Japan to see a ballgame. Terrible sightlines, not a great avira and all in all just a lackluster experience.
You are much better off going to Jingu Stadium to see the Swallows or even Yokohama, Saitama or Chiba.
Obviously if the Giants are the only ones in town while you're here then make the best of it but you'll have a much better time elsewhere.
There is not exactly a Japanese version of Stubhub. This is the closest but it's all in Japanese and even with Google Translate turned on is still a bit wonky: https://www.ticket.co.jp/
Your best bet is searching 金券 on google maps and going to the shop in person. Thankfully, the prices tend to be reasonable as anti-scalping laws are quite strict.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 02:18:15 AM by ReadsTheT&C »

Offline awardflyer

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: May 02, 2023, 04:37:38 AM »
Looking forward to report as this is on my itinerary (need a chef)! Heard you met my legendary points aunt. We’re you aware it’s golden week when booking lol?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: May 03, 2023, 09:51:37 PM »
Heard you met my legendary points aunt. We’re you aware it’s golden week when booking lol?

She's great!
Only booked a day before going, so nope.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: May 03, 2023, 09:53:27 PM »
I'm down. Tokyo or bust! Might even bring the eyshes chayil.
Nice seeing you and thanks for the goodies and the ride!
Always great to put a face to another DDFer :)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: May 03, 2023, 09:54:30 PM »
Major shout out to @hgeek23 for his incredible Japan itinerary suggestions and tips!