Author Topic: Japan Master Thread  (Read 128514 times)

Offline PieRSquare

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Japan Master Thread
« Reply #500 on: May 29, 2017, 12:03:33 PM »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #501 on: May 29, 2017, 12:06:46 PM »
@AJK burst out laughing when we were eating lunch at King Felafel and someone asked us if we were going to the official Chabad or the 2 scoops of Moshiach Chabad for Shabbos.
Good times. Definitely need more DDF Travel DOs besides the photography specific ones.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline raccah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: May 29, 2017, 12:13:17 PM »
Yes...

Never knew what Yellow flag was - double yes on that question. Either Rabbi Mendi in Tokyo or Kobe - those are your classic options.

Offline shmebeble

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: May 29, 2017, 12:15:10 PM »
Okay, here are my 2 yen. No Chabad in Osaka, but there is a nice Shul in Kobe with a Chabad Rabbi. The community became a de facto Chabad of Kansai, but it has a history as a Sephardi community.

If I was in your shoes, I would arrive Wednesday night and take the train from HND to Yokohama. Then early Thursday, go to Kyoto and spend Thursday night and most of Friday in Kyoto. Leave Kyoto for Kobe in time for Shabbat. Shabbat in Kobe, then either Saturday night or first train Sunday head back to Yokohama and switch there to Haneda.

Yokohama is kind of a cool city, but not an amazing tourist stop. I think there is an IHG property there if you need a points stay.

The trains will be more expensive, but way more convenient (and possibly reliable) than the flight and don't require prebooking.  You can use Hyperdia to check times. Also google the ANA experience Japan Fares if you're set on flying.

Just to make sure I understand- take the airport limousine bus to Shin Yokohama and stay at a hotel right by the station. Train in the morning to Kyoto- (seems to run every 20 min- 2 hour ride) Do you recommend a specific route?

I found a train going right near the Prince Sakura hotel in Tokyo from Kyoto and only takes a bit more than 2 hours. I think that would be the best option actually for shabbos. I can leave kyoto station at about 2-3pm and have a good morning there

Offline raccah

• View Profile
« Reply #504 on: May 29, 2017, 12:17:10 PM »
Just to make sure I understand- take the airport limousine bus to Shin Yokohama and stay at a hotel right by the station. Train in the morning to Kyoto- (seems to run every 20 min- 2 hour ride) Do you recommend a specific route?

I found a train going right to the Prince Sakura hotel in Tokyo from Kyoto and only takes a bit more than 2 hours. I think that would be the best option actually for shabbos. I can leave kyoto station at about 2-3pm and have a good morning there

I stayed at all the hotels close to Rabbi Mendi, where u can use the points, and the Prince Sakura was the best BY FAR! Hands down. Enjoy

Offline shmebeble

• View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 29, 2017, 12:22:44 PM »
I stayed at all the hotels close to Rabbi Mendi, where u can use the points, and the Prince Sakura was the best BY FAR! Hands down. Enjoy
Great!
And the rest of the plan makes sense?
We will just taxi around Kyoto? Any specific convenient hotel to stay in? Dont need points- but looking for $150 or less

Offline raccah

• View Profile
« Reply #506 on: May 29, 2017, 12:27:25 PM »
Great!
And the rest of the plan makes sense?
We will just taxi around Kyoto? Any specific convenient hotel to stay in? Dont need points- but looking for $150 or less

Kyoto is packed with hotels where u can use points. We stayed at the Westin in Kyoto and were very happy with it. Of course as always, no food other than Kobe and Tokyo. So, bring with you or have Rabbi Mendi ship to your hotel, or buy food from Rabbi Mendi at Channa's place and take it around with you.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #507 on: May 29, 2017, 12:29:16 PM »
Kyoto is packed with hotels where u can use points. We stayed at the Westin in Kyoto and were very happy with it. Of course as always, no food other than Kobe and Tokyo. So, bring with you or have Rabbi Mendi ship to your hotel, or buy food from Rabbi Mendi at Channa's place and take it around with you.
Can always stop by a Costco.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline shmebeble

• View Profile
« Reply #508 on: May 29, 2017, 12:31:33 PM »
we are happy with meal mart meals :) and snacks
again, taxis are the way to go within Kyoto?

Offline raccah

• View Profile
« Reply #509 on: May 29, 2017, 12:35:04 PM »
Can always stop by a Costco.

I must be honest - this line of thinking was not helpful when we were there a month ago. Yes, you can get stuff, but really NOT MUCH! Chips and nosh, but no real food. Same with 7-11 and all the convenience stores. They have the same food, but now, they manufacture it in Japan, so there is no hechsher on anything being sold. We found a bag of chips at an international store or two - and a box of cereal, that was about it. We made it on fruit, health bars we brought from USA, lunch was sandwiches with tuna or P&J (bread and tuna/P&J from USA), dinner was Channa's place. Not really complaining as much as the outcome to me was we are in the land of pure food decadence, with huge innovation at every street corner.

A drop of effort from the locals would have allowed people to roll into a sushi joint and ask for a mendi (at higher cost) and they would whip on the mendi board, knife and slice a bit of the fish off and boom, sushi rolls, or even sashimi. Sadly, that idea was not well accepted :-( Some of the locals who live there do it, on their own, but no organized apporach.

Offline raccah

• View Profile
« Reply #510 on: May 29, 2017, 12:36:30 PM »
we are happy with meal mart meals :) and snacks
again, taxis are the way to go within Kyoto?

No taxis are horrible. Within Kyoto there are 4 train systems. We got an all day pass inside Kyoto for two of the main subway lines and that was all we needed. We saw what we wanted in Kyoto within a few hours, but again transit inside Kyoto, on subway lines is fastest, but still slow

Offline shmebeble

• View Profile
« Reply #511 on: May 29, 2017, 12:37:09 PM »
Also, the bullet train goes straight from Shin-Yokohama station to Kyoto. The local train from Haneda may go to Yokohama station, but the transfer shouldn't be hard.
Any reason not to stay near the chabad and the Shinagawa station the night I get there and take the train from there in the morning?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: May 29, 2017, 12:37:26 PM »
I must be honest - this line of thinking was not helpful when we were there a month ago. Yes, you can get stuff, but really NOT MUCH! Chips and nosh, but no real food. Same with 7-11 and all the convenience stores. They have the same food, but now, they manufacture it in Japan, so there is no hechsher on anything being sold. We found a bag of chips at an international store or two - and a box of cereal, that was about it. We made it on fruit, health bars we brought from USA, lunch was sandwiches with tuna or P&J (bread and tuna/P&J from USA), dinner was Channa's place. Not really complaining as much as the outcome to me was we are in the land of pure food decadence, with huge innovation at every street corner.

A drop of effort from the locals would have allowed people to roll into a sushi joint and ask for a mendi (at higher cost) and they would whip on the mendi board, knife and slice a bit of the fish off and boom, sushi rolls, or even sashimi. Sadly, that idea was not well accepted :-( Some of the locals who live there do it, on their own, but no organized apporach.
Bring your own knife and board?

Offline raccah

• View Profile
« Reply #513 on: May 29, 2017, 12:38:47 PM »
Any reason not to stay near the chabad and the Shinagawa station the night I get there and take the train from there in the morning?

That works fine, the Prince is a 5 min walk from Shinagawa

Offline shmebeble

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: May 29, 2017, 12:40:00 PM »
That works fine, the Prince is a 5 min walk from Shinagawa
exactly.
We will do Marriott 5th night free and leave our stuff in the hotel while we are gone for the day and a half. This way a bit less to worry about before shabbos

Offline raccah

• View Profile
« Reply #515 on: May 29, 2017, 12:40:38 PM »
Bring your own knife and board?

LOL!!! In Japan! They will kill you with that knife! Sushi joints are hallowed grounds in Japan, not like USA. You cannot walk in and do that. I simply tried to get them to clean their knife and was shooed out. Most people just eat the sushi, and give them a chart of what fish they can have in Japanese. I could not handle that idea, nor could my Rabbi sadly.

Offline shmebeble

• View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 29, 2017, 01:01:22 PM »
I assume I just show up to the train station and buy a ticket? no need to buy a ticket/ reserve a seat ahead of time?

Offline raccah

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 29, 2017, 01:05:30 PM »
I assume I just show up to the train station and buy a ticket? no need to buy a ticket/ reserve a seat ahead of time?

Yeah there is always space on the Shinkansen, just show up at least 15/20 min before it leaves. It takes time to learn the system and the lines for the humans can be long.

Offline PieRSquare

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: May 29, 2017, 02:44:55 PM »
exactly.
We will do Marriott 5th night free and leave our stuff in the hotel while we are gone for the day and a half. This way a bit less to worry about before shabbos
Perfect solution! I think you'll be happy with this plan!

Getting around Kyoto is kind if a pain.  You can use the busses and trains, but it will take time.  If you want to do the faster option with Taxis just know that they aren't cheap. (Not super expensive, but not cheap).

As far as Hotels in Kyoto. Lots of folks we know stayed at the Daiwa Ryonet (or something like that) right by Kyoto Station because it was cheap and did the trick. No frills and a smallish room, but it's clean and decent location.

Offline PieRSquare

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 29, 2017, 02:47:23 PM »
If you're spending Shabbos in Tokyo then this is perfect. I was trying to keep you out of Tokyo, but this will be way easier.