Author Topic: Japan Master Thread  (Read 128515 times)

Offline davidch

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Japan Master Thread
« Reply #600 on: June 28, 2018, 04:12:48 PM »
you should definitely do a visit to hirsoshima i did it for a day and was remarkable

as well as a trip to hakone.  i stayed at the hyatt which was very nice

tokyo is cool but dont need to spend much time there

if your into whiskys there are some great distillery (need to reserve way in advance as it gets booked fast)

spent a few weeks in tokyo so feel free to ask any questions

Offline PieRSquare

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: June 29, 2018, 08:22:42 AM »
I'm trying to plan a week-long trip to Japan - arriving Monday afternoon/evening, leaving the following Monday (or possibly Sunday).

I was gonna stick to Tokyo, but then @moish told me there's not that much to do in Tokyo anyway, and I'm better off with Kyoto. So... I'm thinking to do most of the time in Kyoto, with a little time in Tokyo.

My initial plan was to land in Tokyo on Monday, stay there until Wednesday, and then take a bullet train to Kyoto, and stay there until Monday. But now I'm having second thoughts... Should I go to Kyoto first through the end of the week, and then do Tokyo from Thursday or Friday until Monday (or possibly only until Sunday)?

I'll be traveling with my wife and baby, which complicates things Shabbos-wise - I'll need to stay as close to Chabad as possible, so that I can (hopefully) get a non-Jew to push the stroller there and back. I prefer to stick to SPG (or Marriott), since I'm SPG Plat, so Tokyo is great for that - there's a Sheraton right near Chabad. Not sure what the story is with Kyoto, though... also, the Kyoto Chabad house appears to be "unofficial" - should that worry me?

Basically... any advice, peeps? :)
My 2 cents...

Get a JR pass, it's the best deal in Japan travel.

Decide if you want to spend Shabbos in Tokyo or Kobe and plan backwards.

If Shabbos in Tokyo, try to tack an additional leg to FUK, HIJ, ITM, UKB, or KIX to start off in the southern part of the main Island.

If FUK or HIJ then spend the night in Hiroshima and tour on Tuesday. Wednesday stop at Himeji castle on your way to Kyoto. Spend Wednesday and Thursday nights in Kyoto (the SPG property in Arashiyama looked awesome, but we didn't stay there) and take a Friday afternoon train to Tokyo. Get off at Shinagawa station and just catch a cab to the Sheraton.

Fly out Monday.

Other option is to fly into one of the other three, pick a hotel in Kyoto, Osaka, or Kobe and day trip by train to Hiroshima and Himeji.

Tons of sites to see in Kyoto, but 1.5 days is probably about right. One day in Tokyo will feel short, but you can pack a lot in.

Offline shwarmabob

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: June 29, 2018, 09:18:15 AM »
Himeji castle is awesome!

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #603 on: June 30, 2018, 07:41:14 PM »
IMO, aside from Tsukiji + Tuna auction, not much to do in Tokyo. Much better to go to Kyoto. If you can swing Himeji and/or Hiroshima, all the better

Offline Moishebatchy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #604 on: July 01, 2018, 08:46:54 AM »
So after a lot of deliberation, we settled on 7 nights in Tokyo... just Tokyo. *ducks and hides*

Decided this for 2 reasons: (1) we generally like to take things slower than most people, and (2) it's our first major trip with Babybatchy, so he's a wildcard - can't be too sure how he'll react to jetlag, etc, and thus need to leave plenty of wiggle room in the schedule, just in case. Also need to minimize the jumping around from city to city for the same reason.

First order of business: how do I get 2 adults, 1 baby, and 4 or 5 suitcases from Narita Airport to the Sheraton Miyako (the one near Chabad) without paying a king's ransom? I checked an online Uber fare estimator, and basically one-way will cost $250 or more. :o On the other hand, with a baby and all that luggage, can't really schlep on and off multiple trains/buses...

There's got to be a better way. What is it?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #605 on: July 01, 2018, 09:38:24 AM »
Hate to say it, but find a way to travel lighter. Why do you need so much luggage?
Also please at least switch hotels if you're staying a week in Tokyo.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #606 on: July 01, 2018, 09:53:33 AM »
So, the plot thickens...

After doing a bunch of research on my own, as well as calling the Sheraton to ask them what they recommend, I've come to realize that the biggest obstacle is the fact that my flight is scheduled to land at 9:00 PM. This poses a problem because the last "shuttle bus" directly to the Sheraton leaves at 9:35 PM; and after that there are only trains at 10 PM and 11 PM, with the 11 PM train being the only one that would take me directly to the Sheraton's neighborhood without requiring any train changes (see attached screenshot). That means probably not being in my hotel room before 1 AM, which will be a disaster for traveling with a baby... Does anyone have any better ideas?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 09:59:31 AM by Moishebatchy »

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #607 on: July 01, 2018, 09:54:13 AM »
Yuuge mistake. Send your luggage ahead with the luggage delivery services and take the Shinkansen to Kyoto.

And as Dan said, theres absolutely no reason to travel so heavy. I dont carry that much with 4 kids

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #608 on: July 01, 2018, 09:55:41 AM »
Hate to say it, but find a way to travel lighter. Why do you need so much luggage?

I wish... problem is, this is part of a much larger trip. Also, I still haven't taken your advice about ditching the Bugaboo, so that's an entire (oversized) suitcase by itself. :P

Also please at least switch hotels if you're staying a week in Tokyo.

LOL. Good luck convincing my wife that it's worth it.  ;D

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #609 on: July 01, 2018, 09:58:11 AM »
Yuuge mistake. Send your luggage ahead with the luggage delivery services and take the Shinkansen to Kyoto.

That ship has sailed, hun. 🤷🏻‍♂️

And as Dan said, theres absolutely no reason to travel so heavy. I dont carry that much with 4 kids

‎👆 🚨 שוֺ-אוֺף אלעֶרט 🚨

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #610 on: July 01, 2018, 10:00:25 AM »
That ship has sailed, hun. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Fair enough. Just trying to save you from a colossal waste of time

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #611 on: July 01, 2018, 10:01:30 AM »
I'm so curious, how do you fill 4-5 suitcases?
Sounds like a nightmare to travel with.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: July 01, 2018, 10:02:46 AM »
So, the plot thickens...

After doing a bunch of research on my own, as well as calling the Sheraton to ask them what they recommend, I've come to realize that the biggest obstacle is the fact that my flight is scheduled to land at 9:00 PM. This poses a problem because the last "shuttle bus" directly to the Sheraton leaves at 9:35 PM; and after that there are only trains at 10 PM and 11 PM, with the 11 PM train being the only one that would take me directly to the Sheraton's neighborhood without requiring any train changes (see attached screenshot). That means probably not being in my hotel room before 1 AM, which will be a disaster for traveling with a baby... Does anyone have any better ideas?
Those trains are probably the best ideas, sorry. Taxis in Tokyo are $$$$$$.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: July 01, 2018, 10:03:41 AM »
LOL. Good luck convincing my wife that it's worth it.  ;D
The Andaz and PH are some of the best hotels in the world. Amazing service and facilities. The Sheraton is...a Sheraton and that's about it.

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #614 on: July 01, 2018, 10:04:58 AM »
Sounds like a nightmare to travel with.

It is.

I'm so curious, how do you fill 4-5 suitcases?

Wait... are we here to help me figure out my transportation dilemma, or to grill me about the contents of my luggage?  :-\

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: July 01, 2018, 10:06:56 AM »
It is.

Wait... are we here to help me figure out my transportation dilemma, or to grill me about the contents of my luggage?  :-\
Hainu hach. With 5 suitcases, enjoy the $500 RT cab ride.

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #616 on: July 01, 2018, 10:08:31 AM »
There are companies that will transfer your luggage from the airport to your hotel

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: July 01, 2018, 10:08:58 AM »
My 2 cents...

Get a JR pass, it's the best deal in Japan travel.

Decide if you want to spend Shabbos in Tokyo or Kobe and plan backwards.

If Shabbos in Tokyo, try to tack an additional leg to FUK, HIJ, ITM, UKB, or KIX to start off in the southern part of the main Island.

If FUK or HIJ then spend the night in Hiroshima and tour on Tuesday. Wednesday stop at Himeji castle on your way to Kyoto. Spend Wednesday and Thursday nights in Kyoto (the SPG property in Arashiyama looked awesome, but we didn't stay there) and take a Friday afternoon train to Tokyo. Get off at Shinagawa station and just catch a cab to the Sheraton.

Fly out Monday.

Other option is to fly into one of the other three, pick a hotel in Kyoto, Osaka, or Kobe and day trip by train to Hiroshima and Himeji.

Tons of sites to see in Kyoto, but 1.5 days is probably about right. One day in Tokyo will feel short, but you can pack a lot in.
Sounds awesome. I worked for Chabad in Kobe in 2005 for a couple weeks and they bought us a JR pass for the Shinkansen. Only made it to Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, and Kobe though.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: July 01, 2018, 10:09:25 AM »
There are companies that will transfer your luggage from the airport to your hotel
Sounds like a good plan in that case if the cost is reasonable.

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #619 on: July 01, 2018, 10:18:58 AM »

Such as...?