Author Topic: Japan Master Thread  (Read 128488 times)

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Japan Master Thread
« Reply #680 on: October 05, 2018, 07:42:39 AM »
Best sim card option?
If all you need is data then I would go with https://www.simcardgeek.com
We used them for our 3 week trip and had no issues at all. You can check this page out for a more in depth discussion: https://tokyocheapo.com/business/internet/prepaid-cheap-japan-sim-card-options/

Just make sure to buy BEFORE you get there.

Offline shaulyaakov

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: April 01, 2019, 10:02:53 AM »
A new Chabad opened in Kyoto, but there has been some sort of Chabad there for some time I think. Without getting too political, how does it work that Chabad does or doesn't officially recognize a shaloch as being "official"? Is it about paperwork or is there something more fundemental? Should one be more concerned about kasharus from an unofficial Chabad vs an official Chabad?

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: April 01, 2019, 10:23:39 AM »
A new Chabad opened in Kyoto, but there has been some sort of Chabad there for some time I think. Without getting too political, how does it work that Chabad does or doesn't officially recognize a shaloch as being "official"? Is it about paperwork or is there something more fundemental? Should one be more concerned about kasharus from an unofficial Chabad vs an official Chabad?
FWIU, each shliach was sent there at roughly the same time (early 2000s) by competing factions within Chabad. In most places in Asia, you have a shliach from one or the other so unless you're steeped in Chabad theology you wouldn't necessarily know the difference. In terms of kashrus or any halachic area, I trust both of them completely including the shliach in Kyoto who is a branch of the 'unofficial' Chabad. If you have more questions, please PM me because I would not want to write something b'farhesya that could be misconstrued as LH or motzi shem ra regarding Rabbanim I deeply respect.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #683 on: April 01, 2019, 10:28:09 AM »
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=102660.0
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline G11600

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: April 01, 2019, 02:30:35 PM »
Previously some of the ex-pats living/working in Kyoto spent shabbos in the JCC Kobe, where there is a proper shul with a great chabad rabbi. There are some apartments in the shul complex - dorm rooms are free, or the self-contained apartment is around $100/night I think. It's around 1 hour drive, less on the train.
The Rabbi in Kobe is brother in law of R. Mendi from Tokyo, and they are very close - kids friendly etc. The wife and his family are wonderful people and very hospitable. Community is an interesting mix of  post-army Israelis, travellers, jewish men married to local women, a few scholars and some expats.

Shabbat food in Kobe JCC is fine, but often no meat/chicken as it's so expensive. Rabbi is happy to make meals for travellers and ship anywhere, same prices and R Mendi.

Kobe is the only 'proper' orthodox shul in Japan (not chabad house) and has been around since early 20th century - hosting the Mir Yeshiva (briefly) during WW2.

http://www.jcckobe.org/

https://www.facebook.com/chabadkobejapan/

See also

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Jews_in_Kobe

for background
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 02:37:33 PM by G11600 »

Offline mijo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA: 1K, HHonors: Dia, IHG Plat
Re: Kosher food delivery
« Reply #685 on: April 07, 2019, 06:36:38 AM »
I wanted to recommend the kosher food delivery service from R Mendi/Channa's Place. Website and order form is here.

https://www.chanasplace.com

You need to order and pay online.

We used this service last week, both eat in, pick-up and delivery.

Good, fresh and tasty.
Had fish, shnitzel, turkey, shakshuka, sandwiches
Also: took food to have dinner in the airport, no problem clearing security.
Note: Cost of delivery is similar to taking a round-trip cab ride ie. not cheap.

Offline G11600

• View Profile
Re: Kosher food delivery
« Reply #686 on: April 07, 2019, 09:26:32 AM »
We used this service last week, both eat in, pick-up and delivery.

Good, fresh and tasty.
Had fish, shnitzel, turkey, shakshuka, sandwiches
Also: took food to have dinner in the airport, no problem clearing security.
Note: Cost of delivery is similar to taking a round-trip cab ride ie. not cheap.
Cost of delivery is quire reasonable outside Tokyo IMO. It was around 2500 Yen (US$ 25) per order to delivery anywhere in Japan - I had food delivered to Nagoya and to Takayama (which is at least 6 hours drive away). Food arrived fresh and refrigerated.

Offline Divora M

• View Profile
« Reply #687 on: April 23, 2021, 12:52:02 PM »
Which airport is better to fly into on a Friday?

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: April 23, 2021, 01:47:46 PM »
Which airport is better to fly into on a Friday?
Haneda is better any day of the week.

Offline Divora M

• View Profile
« Reply #689 on: April 23, 2021, 02:49:33 PM »
Haneda is better any day of the week.

Good to know, I just booked tickets for my family in January. I need to quickly read through this thread to see if I should cancel or not. But a quick question before I start, is Tokyo a good place to visit with kids ages 13-6?

Offline shmebeble

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: April 23, 2021, 03:47:22 PM »
Good to know, I just booked tickets for my family in January. I need to quickly read through this thread to see if I should cancel or not. But a quick question before I start, is Tokyo a good place to visit with kids ages 13-6?
Yes
There are outdoor things to do as well as cool cultural activities.
Depending on your budget you can take the xpress train to other cities for a day or two and see some cool things there.

Offline Divora M

• View Profile
« Reply #691 on: April 23, 2021, 04:14:17 PM »
Yes
There are outdoor things to do as well as cool cultural activities.
Depending on your budget you can take the xpress train to other cities for a day or two and see some cool things there.

Thanks, I didn’t realize how cold it gets there in January. Will it affect the outdoor activities? Also, are the kosher restaurants closed for good?

Offline shmebeble

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: April 24, 2021, 09:42:30 PM »
Thanks, I didn’t realize how cold it gets there in January. Will it affect the outdoor activities? Also, are the kosher restaurants closed for good?
when I was there chabad had a restaurant in Tokyo. Otherwise didnt have anything else nearby.
I would imagine outdoor things will still be open, but a different season. Cultural things and unique things like owl cafes can be fun

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #693 on: April 25, 2021, 12:01:07 AM »
I was going to say, it could be quite cold in January. It's not going to affect sites that are open, most things will probably be open full-time, but any gardens will probably be closed due to the fact that it's cold in the flowers and plants are not going to be in bloom. There's lots of other really cool things to do in Japan which I did not have a chance to do like visiting natural hot springs which is perfect for the winter when it's cold out. Is also lots of good skiing and other winter sport activities. I too had food from Chabad when I was there, but I had it delivered to the hotel who provided a free breakfast. It was nothing memorable, just tuna fish, egg salad, Israeli salad, eggplant, and not much more besides grape juice. Not the best breakfast, but when you need kosher food in Japan, it worked quite well.

Offline PBaruch

• View Profile
« Reply #694 on: February 23, 2023, 11:13:11 PM »
Having a hard time finding hotels in Tokyo that allow 3 per room.  Andaz and Grand Hyatt allow max of 2. 

The furnished apartments recommended by Chabad of Toyko are complete idiots - told me to contact them a few weeks before arrival to book.

Anyone had similar experience and/or advice?  We would preferably like to stay close to Chabad.

Hyatt Regency allows but its pretty far from Chabad.  Westin allows but not worthwhile for what they want for MT points.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 11:25:09 PM by PBaruch »
What do you do after your dreams come true?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #695 on: February 24, 2023, 09:40:31 AM »
Having a hard time finding hotels in Tokyo that allow 3 per room.  Andaz and Grand Hyatt allow max of 2. 

The furnished apartments recommended by Chabad of Toyko are complete idiots - told me to contact them a few weeks before arrival to book.

Anyone had similar experience and/or advice?  We would preferably like to stay close to Chabad.

Hyatt Regency allows but its pretty far from Chabad.  Westin allows but not worthwhile for what they want for MT points.
How much is the Westin Miyako these days? Was 10K SPG when I was last there. Great location next to a nice garden and close to Chabad.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline PBaruch

• View Profile
« Reply #696 on: February 24, 2023, 09:41:48 AM »
How much is the Westin Miyako these days? Was 10K SPG when I was last there. Great location next to a nice garden and close to Chabad.

Westin wanted 410k MT for 3 nights x2 rooms!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: February 24, 2023, 09:49:44 AM »
Westin wanted 410k MT for 3 nights x2 rooms!
We just stayed 1 night for Shabbos and they gave us late checkout. Switched to PH.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #698 on: February 24, 2023, 09:58:58 AM »
Too bad the Andaz won't allow more people per room. It was a great hotel for the price.

Offline PBaruch

• View Profile
« Reply #699 on: February 24, 2023, 10:01:28 AM »
Too bad the Andaz won't allow more people per room. It was a great hotel for the price.

Andaz is 30k per night and Grand Hyatt is 25k. Looks like I may have no choice but to book the Hyatt Regency unless I figure something else out.