Topic Wiki

The fee to cancel or change a BA Avios ticket is $55 online or $80 over the phone. However online you can cancel an award for just the lower of $55 or the taxes paid. For a domestic ticket that means a cancellation fee of just $5.60 (nonstop one-way), $11.20 (connecting one-way or nonstop round-trip), or $10 (connecting round-trip). That’s another reason I like one-ways, I can cancel and rebook the return flight for just $5.60 and I won’t lose my outbound flight. That’s a $50 savings. Flight cancellations must be done more than 24 hours before the time of departure or else you will not get your Avios back.
After cancelling a flight just logout of your BA account, and then log back in and the points should be back in your account.
Note that you have to call to cancel a flight within 24 hours of when you booked it.  There is no fee for award cancellations done over the phone if they were booked within the past 24 hours.
When cancelling on line be sure to click through to the last page 'confirm cancellation' and then get 'Your booking has been cancelled'.
Officially you can't cancel within T-24 but I was able to on my third HUCA.
Within T-4 they are a lot stricter.

« Last edited by knowitall on March 03, 2015, 05:09:22 PM »

Author Topic: Canceling BA reservation  (Read 45967 times)

Offline alpicone

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Canceling BA reservation
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2013, 07:53:47 AM »
what did you click on to cancel ?

when I tried clicking "cancellation options" it only gave me choice to process and wait for a decision from the "refund review" dept.

I clicked cancellation options on the bottom of the booking record screen.

Offline SPGCont

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Fairmont Platinum (Life), Alaska Air MVP, Delta Silver, AA, United
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2013, 04:53:19 PM »
Can anyone confirm if the cancellation and refund process is usually instant or does it take some time ?

Offline MEIR613

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2013, 05:07:13 PM »
Can anyone confirm if the cancellation and refund process is usually instant or does it take some time ?
Miles can take some time, but you can PUTPAC do get them back instantly.

Taxes takes 5-14 days to refund.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2013, 06:24:34 PM »
IME miles come back instantly
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2013, 12:24:44 AM »
IME miles come back instantly
+1, just logout/login.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline MEIR613

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2013, 01:51:07 AM »
+1, just logout/login.
Usually that's the case, but seen a couple times that I needed to PUTPAC.

Offline SPGCont

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Fairmont Platinum (Life), Alaska Air MVP, Delta Silver, AA, United
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2013, 04:13:36 PM »
+1, just logout/login.

Does not work. I had to cancel another reservation. Same thing. Waiting 3 days still nothing. It seems like they did not charge me the $40 for the first reservation I canceled two weeks ago.

Offline Racer7400

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2013, 04:27:06 PM »
I have a resurvation for a couple of monthes from now that I would like to cancel. I tried online, they ask me for the credit card number that I used for the purchase. After input that in it doesn't let me cancel it says not available now try again later. Can that be because I already switched the BA FFN to AA FFN? Of that's the reason how do I swich it back? On the phone they want $50 to cancel.

Offline Moishebatchy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2013, 04:22:27 PM »

I've had both, at the same time. Canceled multiple reservations in one sitting, one after the other; some refunded instantly, while others said the need "up to 7 days to be reviewed". Weirder still, some of the ones being "reviewed" hadn't ticketed yet at the time I canceled them; a few hours later, I got emails for each one that it's been ticketed (despite having initiated a cancellation already). Then... when I log in online, each of the "canceled" reservations is still active, but has a note at the top of the page that "we are processing a cancellation for this booking". ???

#thebritisharestrangepeople

Offline MosheP

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2013, 12:02:50 PM »
When canceling an Avios booking on AA flying to YYZ will I get the $57 back less $2.50?

Offline myb821

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2013, 12:03:47 PM »
When canceling an Avios booking on AA flying to YYZ will I get the $57 back less $2.50?
LOL no you pay whichever is lower either $40 or the taxes charged. The time you pay $2.50 is when the taxes were only $2.50.

Offline MosheP

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2013, 12:05:31 PM »
LOL no you pay whichever is lower either $40 or the taxes charged. The time you pay $2.50 is when the taxes were only $2.50.

Wishful thinking!

I would only get $17 and change back then?

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2013, 12:06:37 PM »
Wishful thinking!

I would only get $17 and change back then?
Yup

Offline night-owl

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2013, 06:42:37 PM »
I booked an avios ticket for a family member and would like to cancel it (I'm not on the reservation). When I log into my ba acct its not there cuz im not flying. How do I go about canceling it? When I huca'd 3-4 times the BA CSR said it would cost me $40 to cancel the flight it from MIA -LGA

Offline bznt

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2014, 03:04:57 PM »
i just got bitten really hard, by not reading dans BA knowledge-base , i booked a round trip lga to mia, i wanted to change it, i remembered that can cancel any time and just loose the 2.50 per way, so first i went ahead and booked the new itinerary which is actually for tomorrow morning and now is less then 24 hours, then i wanted to cancel the old itinerary, i tried online they say i should call in, so i did, now they say i cant cancel less then 24 hours, so i am out 30k avios , the only option they gave me is to change it to a later date for a $65 fee per person, my question is, if i take that option, once its re-booked can i go ahead and cancel it since its more then 24 hours before the flight???

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2014, 03:15:58 PM »
i just got bitten really hard, by not reading dans BA knowledge-base , i booked a round trip lga to mia, i wanted to change it, i remembered that can cancel any time and just loose the 2.50 per way, so first i went ahead and booked the new itinerary which is actually for tomorrow morning and now is less then 24 hours, then i wanted to cancel the old itinerary, i tried online they say i should call in, so i did, now they say i cant cancel less then 24 hours, so i am out 30k avios , the only option they gave me is to change it to a later date for a $65 fee per person, my question is, if i take that option, once its re-booked can i go ahead and cancel it since its more then 24 hours before the flight???
I would assume you could but I have never has success getting them to change it to a later date

Offline Alexsei

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2014, 04:29:27 PM »
I'm trying to cancel a reservation within the 24 hour window online, but it won't allow me
Code: [Select]
We are unable to process a refund for you online. Please contact us for all refund enquiries.besides that when calling in after choosing the appropriate options i get a busy signal
did anyone experience this issue?
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline bznt

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2014, 04:45:23 PM »
I would assume you could but I have never has success getting them to change it to a later date
They told me on the phone that I can change it to a later date. Up to a year .I will call soon and report back here

Offline MnM1130

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2014, 08:01:48 PM »
I had a story like this once- and for some reason after explaining things to the supervisor she cancelled my tickets for me (including taxes). was a miracle but hey who knows maybe someone else can get a miracle.

Offline MnM1130

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2014, 08:03:29 PM »
considering changing a flight from yul-nyc. there are 2 pax on the same reservation. once wants to change. will cost 40$ to change it- but can i just change one pax online? flight is more than 24 hours away- 40$ is chpr than 50$ taxes- so thats my best bet correct?