Topic Wiki

The fee to cancel or change a BA Avios ticket is $55 online or $80 over the phone. However online you can cancel an award for just the lower of $55 or the taxes paid. For a domestic ticket that means a cancellation fee of just $5.60 (nonstop one-way), $11.20 (connecting one-way or nonstop round-trip), or $10 (connecting round-trip). That’s another reason I like one-ways, I can cancel and rebook the return flight for just $5.60 and I won’t lose my outbound flight. That’s a $50 savings. Flight cancellations must be done more than 24 hours before the time of departure or else you will not get your Avios back.
After cancelling a flight just logout of your BA account, and then log back in and the points should be back in your account.
Note that you have to call to cancel a flight within 24 hours of when you booked it.  There is no fee for award cancellations done over the phone if they were booked within the past 24 hours.
When cancelling on line be sure to click through to the last page 'confirm cancellation' and then get 'Your booking has been cancelled'.
Officially you can't cancel within T-24 but I was able to on my third HUCA.
Within T-4 they are a lot stricter.

« Last edited by knowitall on March 03, 2015, 05:09:22 PM »

Author Topic: Canceling BA reservation  (Read 45932 times)

Offline Adlebo

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Canceling BA reservation
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2014, 12:05:34 AM »
I'm confused. I want to cancel two round trip tickets of American airlines that I booked through Avios. The flight is five weeks away. I thought that it's only the small tax fee, but the BA csr told me it would cost $40. Since it's after 24 hours of booking. But again I remember reading it's cheaper if you do it online. What's the real truth? How much would it cost, 2 round trip tix = 4x40=$160??

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2014, 12:08:08 AM »
I'm confused. I want to cancel two round trip tickets of American airlines that I booked through Avios. The flight is five weeks away. I thought that it's only the small tax fee, but the BA csr told me it would cost $40. Since it's after 24 hours of booking. But again I remember reading it's cheaper if you do it online. What's the real truth? How much would it cost, 2 round trip tix = 4x40=$160??

Domestic flight? Cancel online. Will only lose the taxes
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Adlebo

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2014, 12:20:33 AM »
According to their website it does seem that it cost 40. But I hope you're right

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2014, 12:25:52 AM »
According to their website it does seem that it cost 40. But I hope you're right
Click through online. You will see the charge will only be 2.50

Offline Devorah

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2014, 12:58:51 AM »
So if I cancel on phone, it will cost $40 per ticket.  Cuz online they ask for the credit card number which was cancelled so I know longer know the number.  Is there any way to call amex and get the full account number on a cancelled card?

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2014, 01:03:17 AM »
So if I cancel on phone, it will cost $40 per ticket.  Cuz online they ask for the credit card number which was cancelled so I know longer know the number.  Is there any way to call amex and get the full account number on a cancelled card?
I thought even over the phone it should be just taxes.
Can usually find card numbers in your amex account unless you removed the card from your account

Offline Devorah

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2014, 01:05:42 AM »
I thought even over the phone it should be just taxes.
Anyone here have actual experience to share?
Can usually find card numbers in your amex account unless you removed the card from your account
I'm only seeing last few digits.  Any idea where I could see entire account number?

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2014, 01:11:44 AM »
Anyone here have actual experience to share?I'm only seeing last few digits.  Any idea where I could see entire account number?
I've only canceled online.

Any statements available to download?

Offline Devorah

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2014, 01:13:27 AM »
Any statements available to download?
amex is so security conscious, they dont even list entire account # on statements.

Offline E R K

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2014, 11:29:12 PM »
amex is so security conscious, they dont even list entire account # on statements.
Had same issue the other day with cancelled card. Luckily I still had it. But try calling Amex and tell them you don't have card cuz it's cancelled. They'll ask typical security Q's. Good Luck.

Offline Devorah

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2014, 02:08:50 PM »
Had same issue the other day with cancelled card. Luckily I still had it. But try calling Amex and tell them you don't have card cuz it's cancelled. They'll ask typical security Q's. Good Luck.
No go. They refuse to give me the cc number.

Offline E R K

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2014, 12:52:38 AM »
No go. They refuse to give me the cc number.

Did you HUCA or ask to speak to supervisor? Tell them your story why you need the number?

Offline bznt

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2014, 05:34:58 PM »
I had a story like this once- and for some reason after explaining things to the supervisor she cancelled my tickets for me (including taxes). was a miracle but hey who knows maybe someone else can get a miracle.
As I promised that I will report back .
On the same day when the departing flight was already airborn I was able to change the ticket over the phone for a $40 fee per ticket. So I changed it for a random later date so it should be beyond 24 hours of departure and I hung up.
Then i tried to cancel the ticket online. they verify the card that was used to book the ticket. For some reason the system gave a error message the card did not match .
After trying for a few days to talk to anybody over the phone . and after sending a email which I never got a response yet. I tried again to call today and after being on hold for 1hour and 10 minutes finally someone answered and yes he canceled my tickets and said I will only loose the $2.50 per person per way a total of $10 for this trip.
I explained to him why he should not charge me the phone fee because I could not cancel it online. He agreed. The points were back instantly in my ba account. 5 minutes later he called me back and wants my credit card to charge me $40 per ticket cancelation fee. I said you can't do that because if I cancel it online I would not pay that fee. He said the $40 is a cancelation fee and then there is a $25 phone fee. I disagreed. So he put Me on hold. Came back apologized for making me crazy and hung up.

Offline chilzech

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2014, 07:38:39 AM »
Just double checking here, if I cancel an AA avios ticket I get back the points and lose the $2.50?

Offline Devorah

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2014, 09:19:40 AM »
Just double checking here, if I cancel an AA avios ticket I get back the points and lose the $2.50?
if u can do it online more than 24 hours before the flight.

Offline avrumy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2014, 02:30:48 PM »
I would like to change my ticket to a later time on the same day. Its telling me its $40 and I made the reservation less then 24 hrs ago for travel in 7 days from today. I went to cancel (trying that method) and its telling me i have to call to cancel. is that the general procedure?

Offline DXD

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2014, 09:19:34 PM »
Unfortunately I have to cancel a BA reservation within 24 hours.

I don't have a firm date for travel right now. If I just move it to a different date, will they still let me cancel it so all I am out is the change fee (as opposed to the points)? Anyone have experience with that recently?

Offline bznt

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2014, 09:37:50 PM »
Read my "long" post 4 posts back. It happened 2 weeks ago if its still considered " recent ". Yes I paid $40 per ticket to change to a random later date in order I should be more then 24 hours of departure  but it was worth it because I got back 30k avois
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 09:42:16 PM by bznt »

Offline DXD

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2014, 10:01:06 PM »
Read my "long" post 4 posts back. It happened 2 weeks ago if its still considered " recent ". Yes I paid $40 per ticket to change to a random later date in order I should be more then 24 hours of departure  but it was worth it because I got back 30k avois

Sorry - totally missed the timestamp on your post. My first call they said they are going to charge $65 (instead of $40), I will HUCA. Thank you for the confirmation...

Offline bznt

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2014, 10:15:44 PM »
The change fee less then 24 hours of departure is $40 reguardles if you do it online or over the phone. The $25 over the $40 is for a phone fee. I explained to the rep that they should not charge me the $25 fee as I could not do not online. So try to do it online first . if it can't be done then call and argue the above