Author Topic: Priceline Expedia Orbitz Kayak Travelocity Orbitz Momondo  (Read 20552 times)

Offline helpyouamdme

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
    • contact ‘Kоѕhеr Ski Club’ for the experience of a lifetime!
Priceline Expedia Orbitz Kayak Travelocity Orbitz Momondo
« on: December 29, 2017, 12:05:30 PM »
Can anyone explain which one of all this online travel sites to use I do see that Dan always refers to Priceline is there any specific reason why?
And i also realized that Momondo has a lot of time prices that no one has how come? The website is part of the Kayak.com no?
Thanks

Offline iAm

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Priceline Expedia Orbitz Kayak Travelocity Orbitz Momondo
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 12:17:54 PM »
I personally find Momondo to be the best. It is an aggregator, though, and doesn't sell tickets itself (unlike Priceline, Expedia, and Orbitz). Dan refers to Priceline because he gets a referral fee for doing so. It helps cover the cost of providing the free service called dansdeals.com

I will note that Momondo often pulls results from sites with less generous cancellation policies and customer support than Priceline, Expedia, and Orbitz, so caveat emptor.

In terms of ownership, theres been massive consolidation in the industry the past few years, and its basically down to 2 parent companies. The Priceline Group owns and operates several travel fare aggregators and travel fare metasearch engines including Booking.com, Priceline.com, Agoda.com, Kayak.com, Cheapflights, Rentalcars.com, Momondo, and OpenTable. Expedia, Inc. owns and operates several international global online travel brands, primarily travel fare aggregator websites and travel metasearch engines including Expedia.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire.com, trivago, Venere.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, and HomeAway.

Lastly, proper grammar would facilitate more effective communication.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 12:29:18 PM by iAm »
iThink. Ergo. iAm

Offline ad120

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 12:48:59 PM »
Lastly, proper grammar would facilitate more effective communication.
English is his second language.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 12:55:04 PM »
I personally find Momondo to be the best. It is an aggregator, though, and doesn't sell tickets itself (unlike Priceline, Expedia, and Orbitz). Dan refers to Priceline because he gets a referral fee for doing so. It helps cover the cost of providing the free service called dansdeals.com
We get a referral fee from Momondo as well: https://www.dansdeals.com/go/Momondo/   

I recommend PL because:
1. I find they have the lowest prices of the major OTAs.
2. You can easily cancel a ticket online until 11:29pm the day after booking while other OTAs often require calling.
3. Momondo sends people to some very shady outfits who don't offer any free cancellation or instant ticketing, so they may not wind up with a ticket. Which means lots of headaches for my readers and myself when they complain to me.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline helpyouamdme

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 01:11:05 PM »
English is his second language.
שלא שינו את לשונם  I am proud with it  :P

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 01:15:22 PM »
שלא שינו את לשונם  I am proud with it  :P
If you even know what that means...

Offline helpyouamdme

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 02:03:10 PM »
If you even know what that means...
asinine remark

Offline iAm

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 02:04:53 PM »
That is pretty sophisticated vocabulary for someone who speaks English as a second language.
iThink. Ergo. iAm

Offline yelped

• View Profile

Offline elit

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 02:55:11 PM »
why use any of these over Google flights?

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 02:58:29 PM »
why use any of these over Google flights?
You can't book on Google flights. It redirects to the airline or OTA. I personally use Google flights to find the flight I want and book with a TA I have a relationship with. There are somethings a good TA will do that an OTA won't.

Offline Abelefko1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 02:45:05 PM »
We get a referral fee from Momondo as well: https://www.dansdeals.com/go/Momondo/

I recommend PL because:
1. I find they have the lowest prices of the major OTAs.
2. You can easily cancel a ticket online until 11:29pm the day after booking while other OTAs often require calling.
3. Momondo sends people to some very shady outfits who don't offer any free cancellation or instant ticketing, so they may not wind up with a ticket. Which means lots of headaches for my readers and myself when they complain to me.
What about www.skyscanner.com ? Pretty easy ....and great “search everywhere “ feature....

Offline yandmk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2017, 05:07:54 PM »
With all due respect to Dan and not getting into the commissions discussions, I strongly recommend Expedia for the following reasons:
1) Possibility to cancel ONLINE until 11:59pm PST. (I've done it dozens [if not hundreds] of times)
2) Possibility to book an infant during the booking process without hassle.
3) Results offer options of 2 one-ways that may be cheaper
4) Earn rewards on top of airline miles (not worth that much, but PL offers nothing)
5) Possibility to earn "status" with them (spending $10k in 1 year or booking 15 nights at a hotel gets you gold - none are particularly hard for the typical family TA [pretty much every DDF'er]) with dedicated customer service lines. My personal experience with PL CS was terrible to say the least. It's extremely difficult to get a human being on the line, and when I finally figured out how to speak to someone, I was unimpressed with their service.

Orbitz is similar with a different rewards program (caveat is Orbucks expire after 12 months automatically). I don't have much personal experience with their CS though.

Bottom line, with no offense to anyone, I've yet to find any benefit that Priceline has over Expedia or Orbitz. And no, I'm NOT a paid advertiser for Expedia. I'm just relating my own personal experience in this without any bias of commissions etc.

p.s. And to give credit where it's due, thank you Dan for recently starting to give the option of Orbitz for most airfare deals which helps the majority of DDMS readers flying with babies, and not ONLY giving the PL option with the old argument that "everyone should be buying a seat for their infant anyway for safety and convenience reasons"

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2017, 07:12:49 PM »
Orbitz and Expedia pay me as well.
However when I've bought tickets from them it hasn't offered me the online cancel option.

What does status or their rewards get you exactly?
And I do strongly believe that people should book seats for infants, but that has nothing to do with it.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline a good yeshiva bachur

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2017, 07:27:21 PM »
🤔 Was wondering the same thing...

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2017, 08:48:50 PM »
I strongly favor booking directly w airlines UNLESS there's a specific reason not to (e.g., the airline doesnt offer as generous of a cancellation policy and you'll need it, fare w airline is higher). I find it a hassle making any changes when the ticket was booked w an OTA, even after a schedule change.

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2017, 09:00:44 PM »
I strongly favor booking directly w airlines UNLESS there's a specific reason not to (e.g., the airline doesnt offer as generous of a cancellation policy and you'll need it, fare w airline is higher). I find it a hassle making any changes when the ticket was booked w an OTA, even after a schedule change.
Regular TAs are always better for that.

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2017, 09:26:55 PM »
Regular TAs are always better for that.

If you’re friends w a TA who will do the work for you, sure. But I’m comparing to other OTAs.

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2017, 09:35:52 PM »
If you’re friends w a TA who will do the work for you, sure. But I’m comparing to other OTAs.
Most TAs will get friendly to you if you consistently book with them. Just don't overdo it and don't drive them nuts with a million changes in your plans.

Offline yandmk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2017, 03:20:55 PM »
Orbitz and Expedia pay me as well.
From my little bit of knowledge in this, I understand that they pay a bit less. But I may be wrong. And it's really irrelevant as long as you give another option (which you do recently).

However when I've bought tickets from them it hasn't offered me the online cancel option.
Maybe a few years ago. As I've mentioned I've done it online with Expedia dozens or hundreds of times. On the contrary, I've had difficulty cancelling PL tickets online (but that was a few years ago). And even recently had that the site kept freezing every time i tried cancelling and needed to call only to be thrown around from one automatic menu to another.

Not sure what your question is. I've earned hundreds of dollars toward hotel bookings with them. Anyhow, PL gives NOTHING. Regarding status, I mentioned above that they have a dedicated CS number for Gold members (I believe for Silver too). And that's a very big deal. Have you ever had an issue with a PL ticket and found them to be very helpful? IME, Expedia CS and Priceline CS are incomparable. They also give 30% bonus points for gold members and 10% bonus for silver.

And I do strongly believe that people should book seats for infants, but that has nothing to do with it.
I'm well aware. But you still deserve credit for giving another option for those who don't want to pay the extra money.

Once again, everyone should do what works for them. I just gave my unbiased experience of the 2 companies. He did ask for opinions after all. While one may happy with PL, it's not the only option (or the best for that matter), to have free online cancellation and get charged directly by the airline etc.