Poll

Is your wife allowed to drive? (Females: Are you allowed to drive?)

Yes
130 (75.1%)
No
43 (24.9%)

Total Members Voted: 173

Author Topic: Why do some Jewish communities prohibit women from driving?  (Read 121771 times)

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
Re: Why do some Jewish communities prohibit women from driving?
« Reply #380 on: January 07, 2018, 11:36:52 PM »

Typical chabadskers living in there shell!

Satmar is not Bobov or Belz. Breslov is not Ger.
They are all so different in the way they see the community vs Chassidus.
Typical shell dwelling Chabadskers becoming like Modern Orthodox because they open their chinuch to those out of the she... Wait, what?

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 07, 2018, 11:38:14 PM »

I probably disagree with the statement about big parts being close to MO. But in a certain way, anyone can choose to call him or herself Chabad. There's no copyright or trademark (despite some power hungry people trying to get those).

One of my best friends is a real estate developer in Eretz Yisroel. He has worked extensively with Belz, so he got to see and learn quite a bit about the community.

He pointed out to me that the difference between Lubavitch and all other Chassidusn is that all others are communities, while Lubavitch is a movement.

When one is a member of a Chassidus, they might have to pay dues and adhere to certain rules, but in exchange are taken care of almost from cradle to grave.

Lubavitch is more of an ideological movement. There's no membership, and no one takes care of you cradle to grave, like it might be done in Satmar, Bobov or Belz.

+1
This comment.. is gonna come in handy in some related chabad thread someday.. What's the other major fundamental difference?

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #382 on: January 07, 2018, 11:39:44 PM »

Typical chabadskers living in there shell!

Satmar is not Bobov or Belz. Breslov is not Ger.
They are all so different in the way they see the community vs Chassidus.
Didn't think for a second that Satmar, Bobov, Belz or Ger are the same. But they all seem to have certain similarities that don't exist in Lubavitch. Do any or all of those have the following concepts (which don't exist in Lubavitch):  etc. קהל געלט, איחוד מוסדות, תקנות, קרן חתנים?

And yes, I do live in a shell, though I do have exposure and interaction with people from other communities.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 07, 2018, 11:42:32 PM »
OK. So even in your skewed worldview, we have Monsey, Out of Town and Israel. Totally. Israel is just a tiny little place anyway so we won't count them. And out of town...another small insignificant place, right?
No. I just didn't have time to address Israel and oot.
In Israel the various communities are extremely sectarian. There is nowhere that just accepts any brand of chareidi like Lakewood does.
Yes, there are places like beit shemesh that are very mixed, but they don't blend.

Oot communities may be very mixed and accepting but nowhere near as varied as Lakewood. You simply don't have the right and left wings all accepting of each other like Lakewood.. some are close though.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 07, 2018, 11:43:38 PM »
Probably more than you considering that even your logical comments are often contradictory
And you just repeatedly attack posters instead of addressing actual posts. So judgmental.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #385 on: January 07, 2018, 11:44:03 PM »

+1
This comment.. is gonna come in handy in some related chabad thread someday.. What's the other major fundamental difference?

Well, that's easy: every Yid is a Lubavitcher, he or she might just not yet be aware of it, I don't think the same can be said about Satmar, Bobov, Belz or Ger.

:P
-- Dan

Offline Shkop

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 07, 2018, 11:49:07 PM »
No. I just didn't have time to address Israel and oot.
In Israel the various communities are extremely sectarian. There is nowhere that just accepts any brand of chareidi like Lakewood does.
Yes, there are places like beit shemesh that are very mixed, but they don't blend.

Oot communities may be very mixed and accepting but nowhere near as varied as Lakewood. You simply don't have the right and left wings all accepting of each other like Lakewood.. some are close though.

Do you live in Lakewood or do you dream that you live in Lakewood? Do you see much Chabad in Lakewood? Do you see Young Israel in Lakewood?
A democracy is a form of government, not an intrinsic truth

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #387 on: January 07, 2018, 11:49:10 PM »
Well, that's easy: every Yid is a Lubavitcher, he or she might just not yet be aware of it, I don't think the same can be said about Satmar, Bobov, Belz or Ger.

The same thing in other words would be that there is no such thing as a lubavitcher.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Shkop

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 07, 2018, 11:59:48 PM »
And you just repeatedly attack posters instead of addressing actual posts. So judgmental.

I addressed your post by calling it mildly anti-semitic. You should really apologize for making fun of nussach Ari daveners. So judgmental.

I'm not condoning anything. Just stating the facts on the ground. - within lakwood and it's environs, everyone within the broad spectrum of charaidy is comfortable and accepted. From the extreme yeshivish right wing, extreme chassidishe to the left wing Jean wearing spandex bike wearing nussach Ari daveners etc.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 08, 2018, 12:01:14 AM »
The same thing in other words would be that there is no such thing as a lubavitcher.
Now that I made sure that my dear friend didn't fall asleep on his watch, we can get to a more serious answer (though as we know in Lubavitch, a Purim Torah has to be 100% true, even if said in somewhat of a light head, so my previous response still stands as 100% accurate).

So in response to:

What's the other major fundamental difference?

Listen to the first minute and a half (though the entire thing is worth listening to and might provide some insight about the differences, especially if understood in context of who the speaker is and what he considered himself back in תשכב) of the following video:

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 01:28:02 AM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline mgarfin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: January 08, 2018, 12:09:47 AM »
Didn't think for a second that Satmar, Bobov, Belz or Ger are the same. But they all seem to have certain similarities that don't exist in Lubavitch. Do any or all of those have the following concepts (which don't exist in Lubavitch):  etc. קהל געלט, איחוד מוסדות, תקנות, קרן חתנים?

And yes, I do live in a shell, though I do have exposure and interaction with people from other communities.

Chabad doesn't have these or the similar as they don't have a מנהיג. Similar to breslov. It's a free for all.

Can you really predict the way the Rebbi would react to today's נסיונות

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 08, 2018, 12:17:07 AM »
Chabad doesn't have these or the similar as they don't have a מנהיג. Similar to breslov. It's a free for all.

You are SOOOOOO wrong.

לשיטתך, how do you explain the fact that none of these existed 20, 30 or 40 years ago in Lubavitch?

And to continue with the light headed style, the splits in Satmar, Bobov, etc are no secret, yet in Lubavitch, despite the plurality of expressions, everyone admits there's only one CURRENT Rebbe!
-- Dan

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 08, 2018, 12:20:29 AM »

Ding ding ding... Of course

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 08, 2018, 12:21:34 AM »
You are SOOOOOO wrong.

לשיטתך, .....
 yet in Lubavitch, despite the plurality of expressions, everyone admits there's only one CURRENT Rebbe!

Lol. In your dreams. Really.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 08, 2018, 12:26:04 AM »
Do you live in Lakewood or do you dream that you live in Lakewood? Do you see much Chabad in Lakewood? Do you see Young Israel in Lakewood?
There are quite a few chabadskers in lakwood. If more don't move here it's not because they won't be accepted or welcomed.

Not sure how you are defining young Israel, but if it's chareidy they are here and welcome

Offline mgarfin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 08, 2018, 12:26:25 AM »
You are SOOOOOO wrong.

לשיטתך, how do you explain the fact that none of these existed 20, 30 or 40 years ago in Lubavitch?

And to continue with the light headed style, the splits in Satmar, Bobov, etc are no secret, yet in Lubavitch, despite the plurality of expressions, everyone admits there's only one CURRENT Rebbe!

They had something else, a powerful מנהיג
The one current Rabbi is the bruch

Offline Shkop

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 08, 2018, 12:31:36 AM »
Lol. In your dreams. Really.
You complained that I attack without addressing the issues and you turn around and do the same thing a minute later. So typical. Actually he made a great point. In Chabad they all admit that there is only one rebbe. And even when the Rebbe was alive they didn't have all the concepts like found elsewhere. I think he has a better grasp of chabad then you have of even lakewood to be totally honest

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #397 on: January 08, 2018, 12:36:03 AM »
Most here are fine with a woman not being able to smoke, as opposed to men but question the legitimacy of not letting them drive.
Nope, I think it's awful for men or women to smoke. Definitely has more basis in violating halacha than driving a car.

Most here are fine with a woman not being able were short sleeves or pants, as opposed to men but question the legitimacy of not letting a woman drive.
Mixing up halacha with gedarim.

Most don't want there kids in a class with a non-shomer shabbos kid but question someone else lines.
My litvishe elementary school put many non-frum Russian kids in our class as they got out of Russia.
I don't recall anyone being dragged down and would have no issue with that happening today.

My point being as long as you have a line how can you judge some else that want to draw a different line.
Once again, happy to live OOT where people aren't this judgmental about red, blue, or purple shirts.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #398 on: January 08, 2018, 12:40:56 AM »
I recall Dan saying Chabad has big parts that are closer to MO then anything else.
Never said that.
But many of our Chabad friends became frum while in college thanks to Chabad on Campus. Can't expect someone in that situation to have the same hergesh as someone who is FFB.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #399 on: January 08, 2018, 12:41:08 AM »

This one hurts. That you've met a Lubavitcher and can think he has no manhig? ס'איז אן אך און וויי