Poll

Is your wife allowed to drive? (Females: Are you allowed to drive?)

Yes
130 (75.1%)
No
43 (24.9%)

Total Members Voted: 173

Author Topic: Why do some Jewish communities prohibit women from driving?  (Read 121756 times)

Offline th0306

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Why do some Jewish communities prohibit women from driving?
« Reply #540 on: January 02, 2019, 10:28:43 PM »
I will tell you my experience. The guy that sent me to jail was a "Rosh Hakahal" in one of the Satmar Batei Midrashim. He's supposedly in the upper echelon of power in the chassidus. The Rebbe didnt know what he was doing and when the Rebbe found out he was none too happy. So Not everything that is said or done by the people "in power" is sanctioned, or the "Word of G-d".

I can tell you what I hear from my neighbors and tenant who are Ger. The Rebbe supposedly sent word that he was unhappy with the Ger community in NY. He supposedly said that the current yeshiva, Yagdil Torah, was not up to snuff. He supposedly said that the American chasidim had lost their way and were causing all sort of pritzus geder to occur including in the mode of dress of women. I say supposedly because its all machorei hapargud...no one really heard him say this. Those that have his ear say he said this.

They opened a new yeshiva for the children of lets call them "perushim". Most of the kids that go to that yeshiva are children of Israeli Ger chasidim. The Americans left their kids in Yagdil Torah. The interesting part is...that the pritzus gedarim, that was supposedly the direct reasoning in splitting the community, was introduced by...you guessed it...the Israelis themselves. Maybe not the men, but the women definitely.

So The Rebbe is hoodwinked into making proclamations and demands of a community by the ones "in power". If you ask me as a disinterested outsider, this was plain and simple a money grab by someone who was disenfrachised in Yagdil Torah. The American Gerrer chasidim resent the Israelis now for wreaking havoc on the schools. The Schools invested huge amounts of money in infrastructure over the last few years to be able to accommodate growth and then in one fell swoop the Rebbe...i.e. those in power in Israel, with no real understanding of the facts on the ground, send the whole chasidus in America into chaos.

Wow!

It's one thing to give your opinion, but it seems you are totally misinformed with the facts.

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #541 on: January 02, 2019, 10:58:23 PM »
Wow!

It's one thing to give your opinion, but it seems you are totally misinformed with the facts.
Lol. That was a VERY long time ago.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: January 15, 2019, 09:23:49 AM »
I will tell you my experience. The guy that sent me to jail was a "Rosh Hakahal" in one of the Satmar Batei Midrashim. He's supposedly in the upper echelon of power in the chassidus. The Rebbe didnt know what he was doing and when the Rebbe found out he was none too happy. So Not everything that is said or done by the people "in power" is sanctioned, or the "Word of G-d".

I can tell you what I hear from my neighbors and tenant who are Ger. The Rebbe supposedly sent word that he was unhappy with the Ger community in NY. He supposedly said that the current yeshiva, Yagdil Torah, was not up to snuff. He supposedly said that the American chasidim had lost their way and were causing all sort of pritzus geder to occur including in the mode of dress of women. I say supposedly because its all machorei hapargud...no one really heard him say this. Those that have his ear say he said this.

They opened a new yeshiva for the children of lets call them "perushim". Most of the kids that go to that yeshiva are children of Israeli Ger chasidim. The Americans left their kids in Yagdil Torah. The interesting part is...that the pritzus gedarim, that was supposedly the direct reasoning in splitting the community, was introduced by...you guessed it...the Israelis themselves. Maybe not the men, but the women definitely.

So The Rebbe is hoodwinked into making proclamations and demands of a community by the ones "in power". If you ask me as a disinterested outsider, this was plain and simple a money grab by someone who was disenfrachised in Yagdil Torah. The American Gerrer chasidim resent the Israelis now for wreaking havoc on the schools. The Schools invested huge amounts of money in infrastructure over the last few years to be able to accommodate growth and then in one fell swoop the Rebbe...i.e. those in power in Israel, with no real understanding of the facts on the ground, send the whole chasidus in America into chaos.
And now the goboim are preventing the gerrer rebbi from coming to BP, They dont want him to see whats going on there.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 09:52:53 AM by yesitsme »
["-"]

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: January 15, 2019, 11:39:57 AM »
And now the goboim are preventing the gerrer rebbi from coming to BP, They dont want him to see whats going on there.
Source? Not disputing that, just curious.

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
« Reply #544 on: January 15, 2019, 12:53:35 PM »
Source? Not disputing that, just curious.
A gerrer Chusid, I'm not going to post his name here.
["-"]

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #545 on: January 15, 2019, 02:50:17 PM »
A gerrer Chusid, I'm not going to post his name here.
That's understandable.

Offline Denverite

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: January 16, 2019, 01:54:40 AM »
If I can just add to #1.

You take an Uber when you need to get to a certain destination. When you have a car you just go.

Wow...imagine a human being might want to spontaneously just go out...that does sound dangerous to the kehilla! 

And Dan is so correct, as a woman, it’s way less tznius to be riding in cars with strange men all the time.  Even if it’s not halachicaly Yichud, I often feel uncomfortable in Uber’s and taxis alone.  People can justify and give apologetics all day long but ultimately it’s about control and fear and everyone knows it (both those on the inside and outside).  As Jews, exerting self-control and following halachic standards is who we are but let’s be honest about what this rule does to exert control within communities. I want to make my home my heart and joy where I focus my energies but that is different than being limited from leaving it when I want or need to.

Offline Naftuli19

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I wish all...
« Reply #547 on: January 16, 2019, 01:59:07 AM »
Wow...imagine a human being might want to spontaneously just go out...that does sound dangerous to the kehilla! 

And Dan is so correct, as a woman, it’s way less tznius to be riding in cars with strange men all the time.  Even if it’s not halachicaly Yichud, I often feel uncomfortable in Uber’s and taxis alone.  People can justify and give apologetics all day long but ultimately it’s about control and fear and everyone knows it (both those on the inside and outside).  As Jews, exerting self-control and following halachic standards is who we are but let’s be honest about what this rule does to exert control within communities. I want to make my home my heart and joy where I focus my energies but that is different than being limited from leaving it when I want or need to.
As rabbi yy Jacobson once said where are chasidisha woman with 10 kids gonna go to the club?! Its the men we should be concerned about
Sometimes You Will Never Know the True Value of A Moment Until It's Become A Memory...

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #548 on: January 16, 2019, 10:38:28 AM »
As rabbi yy Jacobson once said where are chasidisha woman with 10 kids gonna go to the club?! Its the men we should be concerned about

So true!  ;D

Offline Toasted

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: January 17, 2019, 11:19:01 AM »

https://www.boropark24.com/gerrer-rebbe-to-spend-shabbos-in-boro-park/

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
« Reply #550 on: January 17, 2019, 11:26:27 AM »
https://www.boropark24.com/gerrer-rebbe-to-spend-shabbos-in-boro-park/
Yup original plan was he should be in Manhattan shabbos, the rebitzin told the rebbe that it makes no sense she should be in hospital and the rebbe in a apt in Manhattan he should rather go to BP, so BP it is.
["-"]

Offline doodle

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: January 21, 2019, 08:44:10 PM »
DONT LOg on so often anymore but I just saw this thread...

I truly believe that non of the hasidic leaders who have banned driving really have a reason for it other than not wanting to change the status quo.

I do know that certain sects keep the rule in order to have a clear reason why not to accept certain families-types of people into their schools.
+100
You are right
Salt Is Good

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
« Reply #552 on: July 18, 2021, 10:19:05 PM »
Well, that's easy: every Yid is a Lubavitcher, he or she might just not yet be aware of it
Huh?
["-"]

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #553 on: July 18, 2021, 10:20:22 PM »
Huh?

I guess you just proved my point.  ;D
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #554 on: July 19, 2021, 01:41:53 PM »
Well, that's easy: every Yid is a Lubavitcher, he or she might just not yet be aware of it,

-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #556 on: October 31, 2022, 05:33:56 PM »
Driving in Williamsburg this past Sunday brought this thread to mind. צדקה עשה הקב"ה עם ישראל that certain communities don't let women drive. If women would be driving all over Williamsburg the place would turn into one huge traffic jam.
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #557 on: October 31, 2022, 05:39:50 PM »
Driving in Williamsburg this past Sunday brought this thread to mind. צדקה עשה הקב"ה עם ישראל that certain communities don't let women drive. If women would be driving all over Williamsburg the place would turn into one huge traffic jam.
Is traffic in Willi not as bad as CH or Flatbush?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #558 on: October 31, 2022, 05:49:24 PM »

Pedestrians in Williamsburg are a different breed and a big part of the traffic chaos.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #559 on: October 31, 2022, 06:51:25 PM »
Pedestrians in Williamsburg are a different breed and a big part of the traffic chaos.
Waiting for a NYT article blaming the stampede in HK on this.