Author Topic: El-al dropping UP, adding new seating options, and flying direct to San Fran!!!  (Read 16240 times)

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
I flew one of those real old ex-SQ 747's last March. Retirement was long overdue on that aircraft. I know LY elites (the others aren't familiar with the fleet) who would change their ticket if they found out that they were flying on that aircraft. Business wasn't even close to "bed-like". It was only killing their reputation
What reputation is being killed?

The reputation is exactly what it is, and can't be ruined by a bad hard product (and only marginally improved with a good hard product IMHO).
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline yandmk

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile
What reputation is being killed?

The reputation is exactly what it is, and can't be ruined by a bad hard product (and only marginally improved with a good hard product IMHO).
I wasn't talking to @ExGingi. I was saying it to the majority of us, who despite disliking El Al, notice that lately El Al has been trying to fix their airline. Argument was made based on the past couple of years, not decades (e.g. 787's, Wi-Fi, retrofitting 737's, new website, network expansion).

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
J is improving, but my friend flew LY 787 Y and said it was a horrendous experience in every way.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yandmk

• View Profile
J is improving, but my friend flew LY 787 Y and said it was a horrendous experience in every way.
I said they are "trying" to improve. Argument is wether a route is smart on El Al's part. And considering that they don't feel as hopeless as @ExGingi considers them to be, the argument of not using a disaster aircraft makes sense.

Offline yandmk

• View Profile

Though at least LY has the better J product.

I mean, who would have dreamt 2 years ago that such a sentence would ever have been written on DDF. They've obviously gotten somewhere. Although, noone is saying they don't have way to go...

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
I said they are "trying" to improve. Argument is wether a route is smart on El Al's part. And considering that they don't feel as hopeless as @ExGingi considers them to be, the argument of not using a disaster aircraft makes sense.
You know what it means when an Israeli tells you "I'll try", or "I'm trying"?

I might be the most vocal in my disdain towards LY, but I am a very open minded person, and when facts change, or if I am shown to be wrong, I change my mind.

I have stated around DDF previously that LY has a reputation of treating their elites very well.

And while I have blacklisted them personally since 2000, I have family members who flew with them, and I have even booked family members on LY.

The facts about the hard product are irrefutable (do they have WiFi on their 787s?).

The experience in Y is notorious.

Their Matmid program is of limited value (at least for North America based customers) at best.

Their attitude when things go wrong, doesn't need too much elaboration. Just try to look up what went on when they were having issues with their pilot union.

The first thing they need is a corporate culture DNA change. Once that happens (not sure if that is possible with Israelis) everything else will fall into place.

I will be delighted to be proven wrong.
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus

I mean, who would have dreamt 2 years ago that such a sentence would ever have been written on DDF. They've obviously gotten somewhere. Although, noone is saying they don't have way to go...
We all hoped they wouldn't do something stupid with a brand new 787 order, but yes, kudos for not going 2-2-2.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
We all hoped they wouldn't do something stupid with a brand new 787 order, but yes, kudos for not going 2-2-2.
They might be Israeli, but they are also Jewish, so can't be too stupid to do 2-2-2 on 787 (as RJ did!)
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
They might be Israeli, but they are also Jewish, so can't be too stupid to do 2-2-2 on 787 (as RJ did!)
And CA, HU, JL, LA, LO, UA, etc.
Though those are older than LY.

Online tavster

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 65
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LY TP
You know what it means when an Israeli tells you "I'll try", or "I'm trying"?

I might be the most vocal in my disdain towards LY, but I am a very open minded person, and when facts change, or if I am shown to be wrong, I change my mind.

I have stated around DDF previously that LY has a reputation of treating their elites very well.

And while I have blacklisted them personally since 2000, I have family members who flew with them, and I have even booked family members on LY.

The facts about the hard product are irrefutable (do they have WiFi on their 787s?).

The experience in Y is notorious.

Their Matmid program is of limited value (at least for North America based customers) at best.

Their attitude when things go wrong, doesn't need too much elaboration. Just try to look up what went on when they were having issues with their pilot union.

The first thing they need is a corporate culture DNA change. Once that happens (not sure if that is possible with Israelis) everything else will fall into place.

I will be delighted to be proven wrong.
IMHO, and being myself based in Israel, I think we have to keep in mind that LY bears the Israeli culture, and you will (most likely) get very poor very and attitude across most sides of the economy. Their core client base is Israeli who are used to this level of service.

I fully agree with your comment of how they treat their elites. Being my one of their TP, they will literally do anything for you (like open promo award space on almost any flight, guarantee you a J seat until the day before etc); unfortunately that's only for a happy few and most regular travelers won't get that kind of treatments

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
IMHO, and being myself based in Israel, I think we have to keep in mind that LY bears the Israeli culture, and you will (most likely) get very poor very and attitude across most sides of the economy. Their core client base is Israeli who are used to this level of service.

It's a small world now, and you guys have a transportation minister that's determined to have an open sky policy.

It's time for a paradigm shift.
-- Dan

Online tavster

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 65
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LY TP
It's time for a paradigm shift.
I hear you. Let's be optimistic and give it a couple of years :-)

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
I hear you. Let's be optimistic and give it a couple of years :-)
Hey. While I don't care much about it, I will be happy if it improves. Competition is good an healthy. Let's see what a new CEO brings.
-- Dan

Offline Yaalili

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
Would still require separate awards for different metal.
Can't redeem (not sure about earn) on codeshare, it's strictly LY metal.

You can connect to/from AS with any partner.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
You can connect to/from AS with any partner.
On a single award?

What about 2 partners?
-- Dan

Offline Yaalili

• View Profile
On a single award?

What about 2 partners?

Cannot combine 2 partners on single award, though you could combine AS with any single partner.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
Cannot combine 2 partners on single award, though you could combine AS with any single partner.
OK. Good to know. Is that true also about VX?
-- Dan

Offline Yaalili

• View Profile
Is that true also about VX?

For flight on or after 04-25, yes.

Online shapsam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Everyone including Top Platinum members will have to pay for luggage on the new "lite" fares.
Gold members will have to pay to choose a seat on the new "lite" fares.
The UP flights will still operate from terminal 1 (no lounge access) even after it becomes regular ElAl.
Devaluation to the UP destinations.

https://www.elal.com/en/FrequentFlyer/Europe-Changes/Pages/default.aspx?utm_source=matmid&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=europechanges&utm_content=elaleng
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 10:56:08 AM by shapsam »

Offline moe8555

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Well, they'll certainly be losing my business with these changes (and I'll be cancelling my Fly Card Premium).

150 points + $60 YQ + taxes for a 35 minute flight to Cyprus that Ryan Air sells for 10 euros all in?  And the same paid flight would only net you 10-20 points back? They're insane.