Author Topic: El-al dropping UP, adding new seating options, and flying direct to San Fran!!!  (Read 16231 times)

Offline moe8555

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
El Al will also be changing their meal service (at least for European flights, not sure about long hauls).  They mention it in a few replies to post comments on their Israel Facebook page, but no real details are given.

Fortunately for all of you, I actually took part in their survey so here's the inside scoop (remember me down the road for the HT :-) ):

They're looking at two new options instead of the traditional "full meal":

1) A lunchbox concept - You get a box with a main course, beverage poured into a cup, side spread (humus, etc.), and very modest dessert.
2) Sandwich concept - Only a sandwich, personal beverage, and modest dessert (couple of cookies)

I was asked to choose between the options vs. a traditional meal - voted down the sandwich concept every time.  I had to pick between the two new options and went with the lunchbox.

This is yet another downgrade in my eyes.

Offline shapsam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
El Al will also be changing their meal service (at least for European flights, not sure about long hauls).  They mention it in a few replies to post comments on their Israel Facebook page, but no real details are given.

Fortunately for all of you, I actually took part in their survey so here's the inside scoop (remember me down the road for the HT :-) ):

They're looking at two new options instead of the traditional "full meal":

1) A lunchbox concept - You get a box with a main course, beverage poured into a cup, side spread (humus, etc.), and very modest dessert.
2) Sandwich concept - Only a sandwich, personal beverage, and modest dessert (couple of cookies)

I was asked to choose between the options vs. a traditional meal - voted down the sandwich concept every time.  I had to pick between the two new options and went with the lunchbox.

This is yet another downgrade in my eyes.
I think that is what they serve on UP Y+

Offline yandmk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
Well made video, though no passenger ever asked for these choices..

Online tavster

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 65
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LY TP
Well made video, though no passenger ever asked for these choices..
LY stated objective is to be able to compete with  low-cost airlines. So if they will be lowering ticket prices materially I assume passengers would care. However I doubt this will happen

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
LY stated objective is to be able to compete with  low-cost airlines. So if they will be lowering ticket prices materially I assume passengers would care. However I doubt this will happen
DDF policy to bash Elal, but they are not competing with LCC, they are competing with the legacy as well. Did I miss the news that LH killed their fare Families?

Offline Solma

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
So put a suboptimal plane on the route for a year.
Or keep following in UA footsteps and playing catch-up.

Looks like UA is ahead of the game and switching the SFO TLV route to a 77W starting May 2018.

Offline yandmk

• View Profile
Looks like UA is ahead of the game and switching the SFO TLV route to a 77W starting May 2018.
Are they getting more deliveries, or will this be compromising on the EWR route?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
As predicted :)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yandmk

• View Profile
You predicted that they would change aircraft to the new Polaris seat before El Al starts the route?

Offline Yaalili

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile

Wow. This will be interesting to watch. Starting date is 05-23.

Offline yandmk

• View Profile
This is great for consumers. Capacity will now be close to triple?? by years end

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
You predicted that they would change aircraft to the new Polaris seat before El Al starts the route?
Go read the post.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline shapsam

• View Profile
I think United will add a 787 for EWR-TLV, those flights are jam-packed even in the winter!

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
Go read the post.

Then later this year El Al plans on adding its 787-9 which has 32 business class seats, 28 premium economy seats, and 222 unpremium economy seats.

Is that the official name of LY cattle class?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Solma

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile

You probably are their consultant  ;)

Offline Solma

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
You probably are their consultant  ;)

And that's how you received GS status.  ;) ;)

Offline yandmk

• View Profile
UA switches back to the 788 Oct 28. I'm starting to wonder if the change to 77W was even targeted against El Al, or it's just to add capacity for the high season. If it's meant to scare LY, shouldn't they have the 77W on schedule for when El Al plans to launch the route in Q4, instead of switching back to the inferior product just then?
(Unless they're afraid that due to LY's adding flights they'll be flying empty 77W's and may not be worth the fight?)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
UA switches back to the 788 Oct 28. I'm starting to wonder if the change to 77W was even targeted against El Al, or it's just to add capacity for the high season. If it's meant to scare LY, shouldn't they have the 77W on schedule for when El Al plans to launch the route in Q4, instead of switching back to the inferior product just then?
(Unless they're afraid that due to LY's adding flights they'll be flying empty 77W's and may not be worth the fight?)
Really bizarre.
If the 77W was for the high season, then why did they flood the market with award space for the entire high season?

Offline yandmk

• View Profile
Really bizarre.
If the 77W was for the high season, then why did they flood the market with award space for the entire high season?
Dunno. But how do you explain them switching back on Oct 28? (perhaps the award space was a mistake? similar to what US Airways had a few years ago)