Author Topic: Good/bad experiences Shipping Israel to US  (Read 2115 times)

Offline Let3

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Good/bad experiences Shipping Israel to US
« on: January 07, 2018, 04:17:26 PM »
I'm sure many have good/bad experiences to share.

I'm looking to vent about a bad experience I am going through.

I moved back to New York about 8 months ago, and gave just 2 (large) boxes to a local frum shipping company in Jerusalem to ship back for me.
I did this because I used all my allowed suitcases, and this was cheaper than buying 2 additional ones and I thought would be easier on us travel wise.
They informed me that it usually can take around a month to get there, but as I wasn't taking an a ride crate will take longer - this was before Pesach and he said can take till about Shavuos (around 3 months).
I filled them up with about $1000 worth of odd and ends, most of which was not that important to get to me quickly.

Now, 8 months later, I still don't have my boxes.
He started out with small excuses- like our warehouse manager mistakenly didn't ship on the first crate out. But them just kept getting weirder. "We lost 6 cartons and our warehouse staff is USA is on vacation so can't find now"... and kept shlepping us for months.
We didn't make the biggest deal at that point, hoping that we'll get them eventually.

Finally I got an email last week that they pretty much gave up hope on finding it.
I asked about "compensation" for our lost stuff, and he replied that he will reimburse me the shipping cost.
I mentioned that I had about $1000 worth of stuff there, much of which I had/have to replace and expect more than that. I also mentioned that I spoke to a Rav, who said that he should be heals responsible for them.
He said that his Rav said he is not responsible- as he is just a Shaliach to get the stuff from one place to another.
I said we can escalate this and go to a beis din, but it's not really worth it. I'll just make a "peshara" and take around $500 if he was willing to offer  that. (And no- I didn't pay $140 for just 500 worth of used stuff). 
He says he doesn't want to pay any money out of pocket, But  out of the "goodness of his heart" he will try to help us get something from his insurance- if I send him receipts of things I needed to replace.
I said that is not  easy, as I've been replacing stuff for the past few months here and there, I didn't really keep receipts. Also, I don't feel that I should have to, as I am asking for replacement of lost items- it is up to me if I want to replace them or not.
(As with an earline - the receipts is only needed for delayed luggage, not lost luggage).
He then accused me of just trying to take advantage of another Jew, and I would never do this to a non Jew.
When I replied I that I would/have hold airlines accountable as well- he replied "oh, so this is just something you always do then"...

I am totally frustrated with this.
Am I wrong?
Anything I can do at this point?
Anyone with similar experinaces.

Offline Let3

• View Profile
Re: Good/bad experiences Shipping Israel to US
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 04:27:40 PM »
Oh, one more important frustrating point: rgey only answers phones till around 2 pm israel time, so 7am est.
and only answered 1 out of 5 emails.
For a company with "clients" in USA- idk how this is acceptable.

Offline Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 04:50:14 PM »
Post his name here and send him a link to the thread. That should solve it quickly
#TYH

Offline Let3

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 05:13:54 PM »
Post his name here and send him a link to the thread. That should solve it quickly
Very much thinking about it.

Will give him another few weeks to resolve it - after I get him some receipts some how.

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 08:54:41 PM »
I'm sure many have good/bad experiences to share.

I'm looking to vent about a bad experience I am going through.

I moved back to New York about 8 months ago, and gave just 2 (large) boxes to a local frum shipping company in Jerusalem to ship back for me.
I did this because I used all my allowed suitcases, and this was cheaper than buying 2 additional ones and I thought would be easier on us travel wise.
They informed me that it usually can take around a month to get there, but as I wasn't taking an a ride crate will take longer - this was before Pesach and he said can take till about Shavuos (around 3 months).
I filled them up with about $1000 worth of odd and ends, most of which was not that important to get to me quickly.

Now, 8 months later, I still don't have my boxes.
He started out with small excuses- like our warehouse manager mistakenly didn't ship on the first crate out. But them just kept getting weirder. "We lost 6 cartons and our warehouse staff is USA is on vacation so can't find now"... and kept shlepping us for months.
We didn't make the biggest deal at that point, hoping that we'll get them eventually.

Finally I got an email last week that they pretty much gave up hope on finding it.
I asked about "compensation" for our lost stuff, and he replied that he will reimburse me the shipping cost.
I mentioned that I had about $1000 worth of stuff there, much of which I had/have to replace and expect more than that. I also mentioned that I spoke to a Rav, who said that he should be heals responsible for them.
He said that his Rav said he is not responsible- as he is just a Shaliach to get the stuff from one place to another.
I said we can escalate this and go to a beis din, but it's not really worth it. I'll just make a "peshara" and take around $500 if he was willing to offer  that. (And no- I didn't pay $140 for just 500 worth of used stuff). 
He says he doesn't want to pay any money out of pocket, But  out of the "goodness of his heart" he will try to help us get something from his insurance- if I send him receipts of things I needed to replace.
I said that is not  easy, as I've been replacing stuff for the past few months here and there, I didn't really keep receipts. Also, I don't feel that I should have to, as I am asking for replacement of lost items- it is up to me if I want to replace them or not.
(As with an earline - the receipts is only needed for delayed luggage, not lost luggage).
He then accused me of just trying to take advantage of another Jew, and I would never do this to a non Jew.
When I replied I that I would/have hold airlines accountable as well- he replied "oh, so this is just something you always do then"...

I am totally frustrated with this.
Am I wrong?
Anything I can do at this point?
Anyone with similar experinaces.
Sounds pretty wacky to me this whole thing, how is this guy still in business?

Ps; you should of had this in the GD thread or have it moved.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline elimmm

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 08:57:45 AM »
sorry for reviving an old topic,
anyone had a good experience shipping stuff to usa, and cares to share shippers details?

tthanks!

Offline lubaby

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 11:26:01 AM »
Very much thinking about it.

Will give him another few weeks to resolve it - after I get him some receipts some how.
Now that the thread was bumped, what ever happened here?

Offline elimmm

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 08:38:36 AM »
sorry for reviving an old topic,
anyone had a good experience shipping stuff to usa, and cares to share shippers details?

tthanks!

bump

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 08:17:38 AM »
Any shipping company recommendations? I have a pallet to ship from Israel to NY and want to avoid OP's story.....

Offline Let3

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 02:58:15 PM »
Now that the thread was bumped, what ever happened here?
Sorry for late response, just noticing this.

We never did receive our boxes or any money back besides a refund of what we paid them.

Make sure to get insurance...

Offline shwarmabob

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 11:10:01 AM »
what's the best way of shipping 2 boxes of sefarim back to NYC?

Offline theblakdavid

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 04:12:08 PM »
I've used a guy in the past with good experience,  I'm hesitant to post here though bc I dunno who this complaint thread is about.

Offline shwarmabob

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2019, 04:56:13 PM »
I've used a guy in the past with good experience,  I'm hesitant to post here though bc I dunno who this complaint thread is about.
you can pm me, thanks

Offline elazarmn

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2020, 02:47:24 PM »
Looking to send a few boxes from israel to NY any recommendations?