Author Topic: Moving to Oceanside/East Rockaway Long Island  (Read 5814 times)

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: Moving to Oceanside/East Rockaway Long Island
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2018, 11:03:01 AM »
They didn't grow up in yehupitz with a "limited" (for lack of a better word) Jewish education they grew up in... Brooklyn. 

--end rant

It may have been limited in other ways.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline puddles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2018, 11:14:19 AM »
Those other frum Jews made talking in the shul that they built almost an entrance fee, but given that 90% first show up at least an hour after the official start time we have a pleasant start until things get wild.

Kids friends remains to be seen, if the father is any indication of the child I'm not so sure I want my kids to be their friends, not in a mean way as you are assuming but if someone can regularly, consistently, and completely unashamedly show up to shul one hour late for shacharis and 30 minutes late for kabbolas Shabbos and spend the time that he is there shmoozing in the back or the basement with free flowing alcohol, sadly I wouldn't want that influence on my family.

The mikvah has been on the table for years...so far it's still just on the table even after a dozen or so meetings with guys who said "leave it to me". Yes, they get an A for effort but I don't think "they" made much of a difference.

If the cost of a simcha hall is losing kedushas beis knesses/medrash and a general lack of eidelkeit then thanks but no thanks.

Where do you draw the line? Nothing and no one is perfect and yes we have to be loving and compassionate to all our brothers and sisters but it's very hard to do that when you know that they know better and there really isn't a valid excuse. They didn't grow up in yehupitz with a "limited" (for lack of a better word) Jewish education they grew up in... Brooklyn. 

--end rant

Yes, of the hundreds of people there they all come in late and talk. None of them are good, all are like this

There are at least 5 shuls there, not sure this is the case with all. And I have davended at the YI and Ohr Torah, both orginal shuls and it seems both have older members who come in late and talk, not just the "Brooklyn" families.

Offline puddles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2018, 11:15:18 AM »
Those other frum Jews made talking in the shul that they built almost an entrance fee, but given that 90% first show up at least an hour after the official start time we have a pleasant start until things get wild.

Kids friends remains to be seen, if the father is any indication of the child I'm not so sure I want my kids to be their friends, not in a mean way as you are assuming but if someone can regularly, consistently, and completely unashamedly show up to shul one hour late for shacharis and 30 minutes late for kabbolas Shabbos and spend the time that he is there shmoozing in the back or the basement with free flowing alcohol, sadly I wouldn't want that influence on my family.

The mikvah has been on the table for years...so far it's still just on the table even after a dozen or so meetings with guys who said "leave it to me". Yes, they get an A for effort but I don't think "they" made much of a difference.

If the cost of a simcha hall is losing kedushas beis knesses/medrash and a general lack of eidelkeit then thanks but no thanks.

Where do you draw the line? Nothing and no one is perfect and yes we have to be loving and compassionate to all our brothers and sisters but it's very hard to do that when you know that they know better and there really isn't a valid excuse. They didn't grow up in yehupitz with a "limited" (for lack of a better word) Jewish education they grew up in... Brooklyn. 

--end rant

My understanding is that there is a sunday Funday neighborhood chat for each grade of girls. This includes all children of an age, not just the Brooklyn kids. Seems pretty inclusive to me.

Offline Iz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2018, 12:09:44 PM »
Why do complaints re LACK of frumkeit (of course it's much worse than that) often refer to the offenders as "frum"? Culture (Brooklyn or otherwise) does not determine frumkeit; commitment/faithfulness to Torah and Shulchan Aruch does.