Author Topic: Thanks Dan's Deals forum...going to Hawaii!!  (Read 1230 times)

Offline NickMI

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Thanks Dan's Deals forum...going to Hawaii!!
« on: July 22, 2011, 10:19:24 PM »
Hey all,

Just wanted to tell a quick success story regarding Continental Miles and SPG points.  I initially started to read this forum over 2 years ago.  One of the first things I did from the advice from Dan and others was open Chase checking accounts for my wife and I (personal and business), earning us 50K continental miles each.  Shortly thereafter, we opened our SPG AMEX.  We maximized the 10K initial bonus and 15K bonus for spending 15K.  We began to use that card for all of our purchases.  We eventually had over 80K SPG miles. NOW THE FUN BEGINS!! We went to the Bahamas this past May for 7 nights.  The Sheraton Nassau Beach was 4K starpoints + $60/night.  They upgraded to one of their best rooms that goes for almost $400/night.  Savings that week, almost $2500.  In September, we are going to Hawaii, so the miles from Continental we have been holding on to is saving us about $1600 for 2 round trip tickets.  40K miles per person round trip from Detroit per person + $10 is what it ended up costing.  While there, we are staying at the Royal Hawaiian in Waikiki for 3 nights, the first night is free because we have a bonus earlier in the year for a free night after 3 stays, then we are dong 2 more nights at 8K starpoints + $150.  Savings=about $700.  Then off to Kauai: first the St. Regis Princeville for 3 nights, rooms are almost $500/night, for us 8K starpoints + $150. Savings= about $1050. Topping it off is the Jetsetter deal from last week, $900 for 4 nights at the Grand Hyatt Kauai including all taxes and resort fees.  This deal saved us about $500 from the Hyatt website prices.  So between the Bahamas and Hawaii, we saved a whopping $6350 on our vacations this year.
That is big money folks for a couple of checking accounts and a credit card!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline YOSEF

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
Re: Thanks Dan's Deals forum...going to Hawaii!!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 12:24:11 AM »
Wow!
Enjoy

Offline Yellow

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 gold, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 12:41:56 AM »
Great story! Have fun!

Offline bades

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 11:59:31 AM »
Great Story

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 12:13:32 PM »
Well done, thanks for sharing!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.