Author Topic: Yet another spend requirement thread - is $4,500 CC spend in 10 days possible?  (Read 18649 times)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
I just got matched to the 30k SPG offer on a card I opened in may, so now I have to spend $4,500 in 10 days or so without triggering an F/R.

Anyone think I can spend it and not trigger an F/R? Anyone have any suggestions?

(feel free to PM me, if you don't want to post it publicly, if it's really revolutionary I'll even offer a $50 reward to the first viable solution, no reward for things I've heard about)
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline compddd

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
$1,000 increments on Paypal to different people?

Offline i3ond

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Gold, National Executive, Hertz Gold, Avis President's, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat
Buy this http://www.target.com/SunBrite-Class-1080p-60Hz-Outdoor/dp/B0018JMSYS . Get your points and try to slowly spend your money to reach another 4500 and then return within 90days. You don't need a receipt just the credit card.  Yes, you can buy online and return in the store with just your card.
Perfection is my goal, excellence will be tolerated.

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
How did you match SPG? As a last resort you could try ebay (obviously at a premium).

Offline Yellow

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 gold, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Split it up. Do some $ through paypal, some amazon payments, and for some money just buy something at nordstroms and have it returned on a diff CC? Also you could always buy a prepaid visa gift card to add to the mix (costs 4.95 i think but worth it if you really need it)

Offline Smokey Joe Robinson

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, Club Carlson Gold Elite, Best Western Diamond Elite, Marriott Rewards Silver, Hertz President's Circle, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, United Premier Silver
Buy this http://www.target.com/SunBrite-Class-1080p-60Hz-Outdoor/dp/B0018JMSYS . Get your points and try to slowly spend your money to reach another 4500 and then return within 90days. You don't need a receipt just the credit card.  Yes, you can buy online and return in the store with just your card.
why cant you just tell them your buying a really expensive tv and then return it after the points post....granted theyll take back 4500 but youll get to keep the difference.
My Programs Are Listed So That I Don't Forget Them :)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
$1,000 increments on Paypal to different people?

Definitely an FR risk.

If I was doing this I'd buy something cheaper, preferably a refundable reservation of some sort that I could cancel without having to return a physical item.

How did you match SPG? As a last resort you could try ebay (obviously at a premium).

I got them to match me, had to please with 'social media inquiry' and got it posted as a 'one time courtesy'.

Can I buy cash on eBay? Or do you mean buying GCs and selling on eBay? If you mean the latter, it's cost prohibitive considering that even if I sold them at face value I'd lose >10% in eBay fees...

Split it up. Do some $ through paypal, some amazon payments, and for some money just buy something at nordstroms and have it returned on a diff CC? Also you could always buy a prepaid visa gift card to add to the mix (costs 4.95 i think but worth it if you really need it)

So kinda like the 'all of the above option'?

why cant you just tell them your buying a really expensive tv and then return it after the points post....granted theyll take back 4500 but youll get to keep the difference.

They won't post the points until I actually buy the TV...

Offline Smokey Joe Robinson

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, Club Carlson Gold Elite, Best Western Diamond Elite, Marriott Rewards Silver, Hertz President's Circle, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, United Premier Silver
I meant buy it actually....I said to call just so they let the purchase through.
My Programs Are Listed So That I Don't Forget Them :)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I meant buy it actually....I said to call just so they let the purchase through.

How's your suggestion different than i3ond's? Or are you just adding that I should call first to make sure it doesn't get flagged?

So far we have:

Paypal/Amazon payments: F/R risk
Buy giftcards and sell on ebay: Lose 10% and hassle
Buy and return TV: Hassle (refundable reservation works better than this)
Prepaid Visa GC: Pain to cash out, so I'm out the money until I spend it (on things I'd buy anyway).
Mix of the above: See reasons above.

Offline compddd

• View Profile
So is the Paypal/Amazon thing an FR risk because it would be in such a short time frame?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
So is the Paypal/Amazon thing an FR risk because it would be in such a short time frame?

I'm not going to risk it.

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
Will you get FR if u pay for it right after it's charged?   

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Will you get FR if u pay for it right after it's charged?   

I don't think that'll matter.

Offline smurf

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
Refundable ticket. After the points post cancel the ticket you'll lose the spend but you'll have the bonus points.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Buy Target/Walmart gcs from PJ at 97% and sell back at 91% cash or 95.5% in Amazon money.
Of course a 6% loss still hurts...

Or try to find a combo with a smaller spread than 6% from them?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
Buy Target/Walmart gcs from PJ at 97% and sell back at 91% cash or 95.5% in Amazon money.
Of course a 6% loss still hurts...

Or try to find a combo with a smaller spread than 6% from them?

I thought PJ doesn't accept Amex! Also, I think shlepping a TV to target hurts less than 6% off 4500 (=270!!)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
I thought PJ doesn't accept Amex! Also, I think shlepping a TV to target hurts less than 6% off 4500 (=270!!)
They do via paypal.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
They do via paypal.

F/R risk. I might as well send funds to my friends via paypal, it'll be much less than 6% that way...

Offline Jkhein

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
I dont understand why does the OP need to spend it within 10 days and not 3 months, also why would it trigger a fr?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I dont understand why does the OP need to spend it within 10 days and not 3 months, also why would it trigger a fr?

I opened the card two months ago, didn't spend much on it, and I just got approved for the match to the 30k offer which requires $4500 spend.